Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Yikes... That drop was even steeper than I though it might be.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Yes, the polybags went away this month but so did Cheetah.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Had Dr. Poison in her place, and still managed to be the lowest selling of the last three issues.

It seems safe to say that, while there was probably an influx of "Super Baddie" fans, it wasn't a huge one.

Not to belabor the point, but there were, to my knowledge, no special events occurring in the Dec issues of Superman, Batman, Harley or Green Lantern, but every one of their polybagged issues had about the same percentage jump as Wonder Woman's that month, and then dropped to a level below November sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but there were, to my knowledge, no special events occurring in the Dec issues of Superman, Batman, Harley or Green Lantern, but every one of their polybagged issues had about the same percentage jump as Wonder Woman's that month, and then dropped to a level below November sales.
    I'm inclined to agree to a certain point, it's clear that this cover/polybag made a large impact. However, if you ignore issue 47 the drop from 46 to 48 is smaller than it has been in previous months (only about 4%) the Finch run has been in a steady decline of closer to 8% each month but they seem to have lost less ground than before.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Had Dr. Poison in her place, and still managed to be the lowest selling of the last three issues.

It seems safe to say that, while there was probably an influx of "Super Baddie" fans, it wasn't a huge one.

Dr. Poison isn't anywhere near as popular as the Cheetah is so I wouldn't expect an issue featuring her to sell as much as an issue featuring Cheetah plus the Finchs changed Dr. Poison significantly(now Russian, no costume, etc.) so that could have pushed away some fans of the previous version.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Dr. Poison isn't anywhere near as popular as the Cheetah is so I wouldn't expect an issue featuring her to sell as much as an issue featuring Cheetah plus the Finchs changed Dr. Poison significantly(now Russian, no costume, etc.) so that could have pushed away some fans of the previous version.
    Even is we assume that Cheetah was the reason that we had a good month with #46, what is that telling us?

Basically that an ever increasing number of people are not interested in the Finch run as a long term investment, but will merely jump in here and there for marketing gimmicks.

Of the almost 35 000 people who bought number 46 off the shelf, 2200 had made the decision by #48 that the book was not worth their money. Essentially if you ignore the desperate grab for sales that are variant covers the title is losing 1000 readers a month. That might not seem like much, but when are already in the low 30K's it become ever more disturbing.

Considering how very mediocre #48 was, I would not be hugely surprised if the numbers for 49 dipped below 31K.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Basically that an ever increasing number of people are not interested in the Finch run as a long term investment, but will merely jump in here and there for marketing gimmicks.

Considering how very mediocre #48 was, I would not be hugely surprised if the numbers for 49 dipped below 31K.
    - If the potential soft reboot is coming and you are a fan, there's not much of a reason to stay onboard.
    - If the potential soft reboot is coming and you have been thinking about dropping the book, there's not much of a reason to stay on board.

It's sort of a tough spot to be in.

Even is we assume that Cheetah was the reason that we had a good month with #46, what is that telling us?

Of the almost 35 000 people who bought number 46 off the shelf, 2200 had made the decision by #48 that the book was not worth their money. Essentially if you ignore the desperate grab for sales that are variant covers the title is losing 1000 readers a month. That might not seem like much, but when are already in the low 30K's it become ever more disturbing.

Who said anything about Finch? I'm talking about Cheetah here. I know that the polybags helped sell this issue but I also think that after a 4 year absence in this book, Cheetah did too to some extent.

Extraordinary Member

Who said anything about Finch? I'm talking about Cheetah here. I know that the polybags helped sell this issue but I also think that after a 4 year absence in this book, Cheetah did too to some extent.
    Well then if that is the case, then clearly the way the Finch's wrote her did little to nothing to convince these die-hard Cheetah fans that there was a reason to hang around.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Well then if that is the case, then clearly the way the Finch's wrote her did little to nothing to convince these die-hard Cheetah fans that there was a reason to hang around.

Why are we arguing about Finch here? I realize she wrote the issue but I'm advocating Cheetah here, not Finch.

Extraordinary Member

Why are we arguing about Finch here? I realize she wrote the issue but I'm advocating Cheetah here, not Finch.
    Because Cheetah is a fictional character who only comes across as well or poorly as the person writing her.

Maybe a few more people bought the Chhetah issue because she was in it. I doubt it was significant. It certainly wasn't lasting.

Because Cheetah is a fictional character who only comes across as well or poorly as the person writing her.

Maybe a few more people bought the Chhetah issue because she was in it. I doubt it was significant. It certainly wasn't lasting.

If people bought the book to read about Cheetah why would it be lasting being that she only appeared in this one issue?

If people bought the book to read about Cheetah why would it be lasting being that she only appeared in this one issue?
    I believe he is saying that it looks like not a single Cheetah fan was impressed enough by the issue to pick up the current issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I believe he is saying that it looks like not a single Cheetah fan was impressed enough by the issue to pick up the current issue.
    Pretty much that.

The book isn't titled Cheetah. One issue or ten, I want folks buying the book to read Wonder Woman.