Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    She hit 76K issues with a much less well known team at the helm ...
    Yes, and that New 52 #1 actually did over 100k orders if you include the second printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Yes, and that New 52 #1 actually did over 100k orders if you include the second printing.
    true ... I wonder when we'll start getting more reliable information on Digital sales, 2011 was really still the infancy of Digital comics, 5 years later it's a much larger distribution platform, I'll have to do a little research to see if the availability in Digital format has extended comic readership as a whole or if it's just shifted the audience from print...

Incredible Member

Very close; 98,300.
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011.html
    Wasn't New 52 on a return policy at the time? Maybe that is why there is a difference in the sales figures for that year.
    In light of that though, and with Cliff Chiang not being quite the popular choice, I'm guessing Greg Rucka's will hit 100k.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...une-2016-sales

Marvel reclaimed the #1 position on Diamond Comics Distributors' sales charts in June, with "Civil War II" #1 outselling the rest of the month's offerings.

In fact, Marvel remained the number one publisher overall, though DC Comics' Rebirth powered the publisher to a larger market share, with seven releases landing in the Direct Market's Top Ten. "Batman" and "Batman: Rebirth" were the second and third best sellers, respectively, while "Dark Knight III," "Dark Knight Returns: the Last Crusade," "Superman: Rebirth" "Wonder Woman" and "Superman" landed in positions 6 - 10.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...une-2016-sales

Marvel reclaimed the #1 position on Diamond Comics Distributors' sales charts in June, with "Civil War II" #1 outselling the rest of the month's offerings.

In fact, Marvel remained the number one publisher overall, though DC Comics' Rebirth powered the publisher to a larger market share, with seven releases landing in the Direct Market's Top Ten. "Batman" and "Batman: Rebirth" were the second and third best sellers, respectively, while "Dark Knight III," "Dark Knight Returns: the Last Crusade," "Superman: Rebirth" "Wonder Woman" and "Superman" landed in positions 6 - 10.

That's a bit misleading as it would seem to indicate DC's increased market share came at Marvel's expense when they both actually gone up since last year (2015). So I guess this was a lean month for the indies since overall comic sales are down so somebody besides the big 2 went down in market share/unit sales.

I think #9 would indicate sales around 81.8k but let's see what the official guys say.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 07-09-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I wonder when the last time WW had two solo title issues in the top 15!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Here are the sales numbers for Wonder Woman Rebirth and Wonder Woman #1:

9 38.43 $2.99 DC Wonder Woman (2016) * 1 107,737
    15 33.69 $2.99 DC Wonder Woman: Rebirth (2016) * 1 94,458

I think it's interesting that both of these books beat out the initial sales of the New 52 Wonder Woman #1. Granted the New 52 #1 sold over 100K with reorders/2nd prints but we don't have the sales date yet for the reorders/2nd prints of last month's books. In times when print sales are typically on the decline and New 52 having alienated some long-time fans, I think this is a huge win for Rucka and Co.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

I think it's interesting that both of these books beat out the initial sales of the New 52 Wonder Woman #1. Granted the New 52 #1 sold over 100K with reorders/2nd prints but we don't have the sales date yet for the reorders/2nd prints of last month's books. In times when print sales are typically on the decline and New 52 having alienated some long-time fans, I think this is a huge win for Rucka and Co.
    I don't find that particularly surprising to be honest. Rucka is a much more well known writer than Azzarello was at the time of his WW launch and I think that there are a whole lot of long time fans who are waiting to see what changes Rebirth will bring. I suspect we'll see some strong sales for WW under Rucka for several months, or at least until we see if he's going to undo/remove some of the concepts Azzarello introduced that were less popular.

Agreed. I'm very excited for what Rucka has in store! And I'm in love with Sharp and Scott's artwork!

I don't find that particularly surprising to be honest. Rucka is a much more well known writer than Azzarello was at the time of his WW launch and I think that there are a whole lot of long time fans who are waiting to see what changes Rebirth will bring. I suspect we'll see some strong sales for WW under Rucka for several months, or at least until we see if he's going to undo/remove some of the concepts Azzarello introduced that were less popular.

I can't say that I agree. Before Taking on Wonder Woman, Azzarello had written Superman, Batman: Flashpoint, and the Joker graphic novel along with winning an Eisner Award for a comic he wrote for a smaller publisher. Chiang had also just finished a run on Green Arrow while I believe this volume of Wonder Woman is Sharp's first major work for DC if not his first work for them entirely. I'm certainly not saying that Azz and Chiang didn't have impressive sales numbers for their #1 issue. I'm just surprised with everything that's happened in the industry since then, that Rucka is still able to pull off better numbers.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I can't say that I agree. Before Taking on Wonder Woman, Azzarello had written Superman, Batman: Flashpoint, and the Joker graphic novel along with winning an Eisner Award for a comic he wrote for a smaller publisher. Chiang had also just finished a run on Green Arrow while I believe this volume of Wonder Woman is Sharp's first major work for DC if not his first work for them entirely. I'm certainly not saying that Azz and Chiang didn't have impressive sales numbers for their #1 issue. I'm just surprised with everything that's happened in the industry since then, that Rucka is still able to pull off better numbers.
    Print sales have actually grown a bit in the last five years. From ComicChron ("Unit Sales for All Diamond's Comics"):

2011 77.2 million copies
    2012 86 million copies
    2013 91.8 million copies
    2014 92 million copies
    2015 98 million copies

So I don't think a higher number for this volume's #1 is necessarily bucking an industry-wide trend. Also, we know that Azz brought in some new readers and lost some old readers; so Rucka may be building on what he did by keeping his new readers while bringing back the old readers.

That being said, it's great to see Rucka's book selling well, and I hope this continues.

Print sales have actually grown a bit in the last five years. From ComicChron ("Unit Sales for All Diamond's Comics"):

2011 77.2 million copies
    2012 86 million copies
    2013 91.8 million copies
    2014 92 million copies
    2015 98 million copies

So I don't think a higher number for this volume's #1 is necessarily bucking an industry-wide trend. Also, we know that Azz brought in some new readers and lost some old readers; so Rucka may be building on what he did by keeping his new readers while bringing back the old readers.

That being said, it's great to see Rucka's book selling well, and I hope this continues.

That's interesting to see as many comic news outlets have repeatedly said in the last few years that print sales are on the decline. I'm not sure Rucka is able to build on what Azz did as Rucka didn't immediately follow Azz's run. He's following Finch's run.

Have to agree.

Rucka is a figurative "Prodigal Son" coming home during an event that is heading back to "Linus' Blanket" territory for mainstream DC fans.

That it sold well isn't much of a shocker.

How it is selling in a year is what will be interesting.

Rucka easily has as strong a resume ... Action Comics, Detective, Batwoman, Wonder Woman and a fist full of smaller projects ... He has 3 Eisners a Harvey award and a GLAAD award ... Couple that with his return to WW and you've got a pretty strong recipe for early issue success. As numberthirty points out, sales a year from now should be interesting.