Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    You've made this point a few times, and, respectfully, I don't get why it's hard why some people may think it's "bad" (or, as I think, increasingly good but still not as as good as Wonder Woman) even thought it sells better than current issues of Wonder Woman." Here, again, are a few points to consider:

1. Sales don't necessarily equal quality. The #1 bestselling comic, book or moview isn't necessarily the best comic, book or movie in any individual's eyes. Or, do you disagree with that?

2. Almost all comics lose sales over time, and so it's not surprising that issue 31 of one comic isn't selling as well as issue 8 of another.

3. SM/WW is currently part of a much hyped crossover. Those drive sales up temporarily.

I'd love to know what you think of these points, and whether I'm missing something about your point. It seems like if we respond to each others' points this conversation could progress instead of just repeating next month.

I do think it's fair to say that Superman/Wonder Woman SHOULD sell better than Wonder Woman's solo book for a few reasons:

1.) SM/WW is newer.

2.) SM/WW features 2 of DC's most iconic heroes where as Wonder Woman's solo book features one of them.

At the same time, there are other solo DC books that are just as old as Wonder Woman that are selling better than her currently:

Action Comics
    Aquaman
    Batgirl
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Nightwing
    Superman

And that's not counting books that star Batman solo each month. It's true that sales don't always equal quality but that's because quality is based on opinion and nothing more. I think Justice League is a top quality book while I've seen other says it's garbage. At the end of the day, the only way you can really measure the success of any book is by it's sales. Given that we are not made privy to digital sales, all we have to go on at this point are the sales of physical copies.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I do think it's fair to say that Superman/Wonder Woman SHOULD sell better than Wonder Woman's solo book for a few reasons:
    Sure. One might even argue that it should be selling better than Wonder Woman was during the first eight months of the New 52. But then again, you could point out that DC's sales in general were elevated by the exceitement/hype over the New 52. There's really no clear-cut comparison to make, one way or another.

At the same time, there are other solo DC books that are just as old as Wonder Woman that are selling better than her currently:
    Of course! No one is saying that Wonder Woman has been DCs top-selling first-wave New 52 book.It was also selling less than all of the books you listed --except Batgirl, if I remember correctly--at the beginning of the New 52. They've all declined in sales, and if Wonder Woman's decline in sales has been any slower than that of any of those other books, it hasn't been by enough to overtake them. Those comparisons are meaningful, but comparing the sales of Wonder Woman 31 to SM/WW 8 is barely more meaningful than comparing WW 1 to Superman 31, Flash 31 or Aquaman 31.

...but that's because quality is based on opinion and nothing more.
    I think we basically agree about that, although I'd say it a little differently; our opinions about quality are based on the criteria by which we define quality, and those very among different groups of fans. For example, if everyone agreed with you that a high quality Wonder Woman book by definition includes traditional supporting characters and villains and a preponderance of traditional superheroic stories over myth/mystery/horror stories, we could probably all agree that this run is of lower quality than Jiminiez's run, despite the fact that average sales per issues are higher for Azzarello. But we don't all agree on that definition of quality.

At the end of the day, the only way you can really measure the success of any book is by it's sales. Given that we are not made privy to digital sales, all we have to go on at this point are the sales of physical copies.
    Since I don't work for DC, though, a book's ales "success" is of less interest to me than whether I will enjoy reading, subjective as that may be, or whether it meets my criteria for excellence, even though those criteria aren't shared by anyone. Anyway, I think we agree on the answer to the previous poster's question: some people say that SM/WW is "bad," regardless of its sales, because by "bad" they mean "not what I want to read." And I think that's a fairly reasonable and easily understood way of talking about "good" and "bad" in mass media, especially if one is not a sales executive or professional critic.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 06-17-2014 at 08:30 AM.

BANNED

Action Comics
    Aquaman
    Batgirl
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Nightwing
    Superman
    flash,superman,aquaman, action comics, batgirl. not by a large margin. Flash is the only one that don't crossover very often

Sure. One might even argue that it should be selling better than Wonder Woman was during the first eight months of the New 52. But then again, you could point out that DC's sales in general were elevated by the exceitement/hype over the New 52. There's really no clear-cut comparison to make, one way or another.
    hummm the hype was for 52 books, WW didn't got any special promotion like SMWW had. I think comparing the sales are pretty fair, except if enters crossovers.

Since I don't work for DC, though, a book's ales "success" is of less interest to me than whether I will enjoy reading, subjective as that may be, or whether it meets my criteria for excellence, even though those criteria aren't shared by anyone. Anyway, I think we agree on the answer to the previous poster's question: some people say that SM/WW is "bad," regardless of its sales, because by "bad" they mean "not what I want to read." And I think that's a fairly reasonable and easily understood way of talking about "good" and "bad" in mass media, especially if one is not a sales executive or professional critic.
    or maybe these fans have standarts to compare success of books.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-17-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Of course! No one is saying that Wonder Woman has been DCs top-selling first-wave New 52 book.It was also selling less than all of the books you listed --except Batgirl, if I remember correctly--at the beginning of the New 52. They've all declined in sales, and if Wonder Woman's decline in sales has been any slower than that of any of those other books, it hasn't been by enough to overtake them. Those comparisons are meaningful, but comparing the sales of Wonder Woman 31 to SM/WW 8 is barely more meaningful than comparing WW 1 to Superman 31, Flash 31 or Aquaman 31.

I think we basically agree about that, although I'd say it a little differently; our opinions about quality are based on the criteria by which we define quality, and those very among different groups of fans. For example, if everyone agreed with you that a high quality Wonder Woman book by definition includes traditional supporting characters and villains and a preponderance of traditional superheroic stories over myth/mystery/horror stories, we could probably all agree that this run is of lower quality than Jiminiez's run, despite the fact that average sales per issues are higher for Azzarello. But we don't all agree on that definition of quality.

Care to explain why you think Wonder Woman is currently a high-quality book?

Here is why I don't think it's a high quality book. Yes, it's true that I'm not excited about the 3 year long all-myth story but it goes beyond that for me as why I'm not interested in the book:

1.) Wonder Woman herself has been portrayed very out of character in this run. I know there are those who disagree but that's my opinion on the matter.

2.) The book uses too many public domain characters for my taste. This comes off as a bit cheap to me as I can read/watch Zeus, Hera, Hermes, Ares, Hades, Poseidon, etc. in many other mediums.

3.) The pacing of this 3 year long story is extremely slow and seems to be filled with more filler-moments than I would like.

4.) The book is all but completely cut off from the New 52. Granted, crossovers aren't integral to a book's success but some acknowledgment of the greater DCU would be nice once in a while to help know where this story falls chronologically or that Diana gives a darn about anything going on that's not related to Olympus or Themyscira.

5.) The art is all over the place even when Chiang draws an entire issue. Some panels are very well drawn out while others lack what I think are essential details and backgrounds.

6.) The amount of graphic and/or deviant points in this story comes across as cheap shock-value.

Anyways, I'd love to see your reasons why you feel so differently.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Care to explain why you think Wonder Woman is currently a high-quality book?
    I think I've been doing that on this forum for the last three years, just as you have been explaining why you don't agree. As you probably know, several of my reasons for thinking its high quality are pretty much the same as your reasons for thinking its low quality. I'm sure I'll go into detail about some of my reasons again, but maybe not on the sales thread. Shouldn't we keep this thread focused on sales?

I think I've been doing that on this forum for the last three years, just as you have been explaining why you don't agree. As you probably know, several of my reasons for thinking its high quality are pretty much the same as your reasons for thinking its low quality. I'm sure I'll go into detail about some of my reasons again, but maybe not on the sales thread. Shouldn't we keep this thread focused on sales?

I figured that the reasons I'm not buying Wonder Woman and the reasons you are buying it were relevant to the sales topic. Regardless, if you'd rather not discuss this here, that's fine.

I figured that the reasons I'm not buying Wonder Woman and the reasons you are buying it were relevant to the sales topic. Regardless, if you'd rather not discuss this here, that's fine.
    Silvanus is correct - this is a thread for the actual sales figures (which is why it's a sticky) If you wish to discuss them at length, please start a separate discussion
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

June
    #
    Units
    Delta %
    Wonder Woman 32 48,235 57.35

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    June
    #
    Units
    Delta %
    Wonder Woman 32 48,235 57.35
    Thanks. Bombshell variants doing miracles for DC (at least for a month)
    13 Superman Wonder Woman 9 $3.99 DC 62,659

BANNED

77 Wonder Woman 33 $2.99 DC 37,431

37 Superman Wonder Woman 10 $3.99 DC 50,254

Yes WW #33 drop nearly 11 k and is -22.4% delta but there is a positive to take from this:

#33 is up from #31 by 6,776 units for a positive delta 14.05%.

These variant covers seem to be helping out both books quite a bit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    Yes WW #33 drop nearly 11 k and is -22.4% delta but there is a positive to take from this:

#33 is up from #31 by 6,776 units for a positive delta 14.05%.
    Do we know what percentage of books produced are variants?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

August #
    Rank
    Units Delta
    Superman/Wonder Woman 11 27 50,550 0.59%
    Superman/Wonder Woman Annual 1 38 42,094 ****
    Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman
    1 75 29,640 ****

WW 34 & 35 will double ship in October.
    Last edited by Mister Ferro; 09-08-2014 at 10:36 AM.

BANNED

116 Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman 2 $3.99 DC 22,085