Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They are trying to change their tactic so when the books dont sell they can say "we tried, they didnt sell, be happy with your 1 comic"

I'm not sure what you're getting at. If DC puts out an honest effort into releasing a book and it doesn't catch on with fans enough to turn a profit, what's the point of them continuing to publish the book?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

They are trying to change their tactic so when the books dont sell they can say "we tried, they didnt sell, be happy with your 1 comic"
    And bingo was his name-o!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. If DC puts out an honest effort into releasing a book and it doesn't catch on with fans enough to turn a profit, what's the point of them continuing to publish the book?
    They are the reason why people dont buy said character products. If they expect the books to sell at X when WW usually sells at X they are just setting up for failure. They gave WW 1 animated film after countless SM/BM/JL media and when it didnt sell what they wanted in a fast enough time they deemed it an overall failure and "females dont sell"....why do you think females don't sell? You never put out consistent product with them.

Incredible Member

They are the reason why people dont buy said character products. If they expect the books to sell at X when WW usually sells at X they are just setting up for failure. They gave WW 1 animated film after countless SM/BM/JL media and when it didnt sell what they wanted in a fast enough time they deemed it an overall failure and "females dont sell"....why do you think females don't sell? You never put out consistent product with them.
    That animated movie came out in 2009. DC and WB leadership is drastically different. Comic book media is also different. We're talking about a DC/WB that created 2 live-action Wonder Woman films, they are in production for a third Wonder Woman film, another animated film has been released, JSA partly starring Wonder Woman, and we've gotten a lot of Wonder Woman books this year alone: Historia, Black and Gold, Sensational Wonder Woman, Evolution, Earth One Vol 3, Nubia, Wonder Girl, Nubia Real One. We're also getting Trial of the Amazons next year.

I find it hard to imagine that DC/WB would invest that much money into Wonder Woman content hoping it will fail, so they can say, "females don't sell." Especially since some of the little media we get regarding sales show that Wonder Woman does sell. Year One was a top seller in 2017 for DC. I imagine the Earth One books sold well enough if we got three volumes. And SonofBaldwin shared a link about the success of Black and Gold.

At this point, Wonder Woman is consistently getting products.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    That animated movie came out in 2009. DC and WB leadership is drastically different. Comic book media is also different. We're talking about a DC/WB that created 2 live-action Wonder Woman films, they are in production for a third Wonder Woman film, another animated film has been released, JSA partly starring Wonder Woman, and we've gotten a lot of Wonder Woman books this year alone: Historia, Black and Gold, Sensational Wonder Woman, Evolution, Earth One Vol 3, Nubia, Wonder Girl, Nubia Real One. We're also getting Trial of the Amazons next year.

I find it hard to imagine that DC/WB would invest that much money into Wonder Woman content hoping it will fail, so they can say, "females don't sell." Especially since some of the little media we get regarding sales show that Wonder Woman does sell. Year One was a top seller in 2017 for DC. I imagine the Earth One books sold well enough if we got three volumes. And SonofBaldwin shared a link about the success of Black and Gold.

At this point, Wonder Woman is consistently getting products.
    That doesnt negate the fact that if a WW title doesnt sell the way they want it to they will likely pull it now that they are putting in work for 1 year. You need to keep the brand up if you want it to have a fighting chance to be successful. This is a studio that didnt give WW 2 movies just because. She had to prove that she could sell those seats and beat out the boys and she did and what have they done with WW in the media outside of comics (finally)? Next to nothing. The Batman isnt even out yet and they are working overtime to expand on that universe.

I never said that they hoped it'd fail but they would totally be fine going "we tried" and moving on if it did. She's been around for 80 years so 1 year of multiple titles will need to expand to multiple years of multiple titles.

Incredible Member

That doesnt negate the fact that if a WW title doesnt sell the way they want it to they will likely pull it now that they are putting in work for 1 year. You need to keep the brand up if you want it to have a fighting chance to be successful. This is a studio that didnt give WW 2 movies just because. She had to prove that she could sell those seats and beat out the boys and she did and what have they done with WW in the media outside of comics (finally)? Next to nothing. The Batman isnt even out yet and they are working overtime to expand on that universe.

I never said that they hoped it'd fail but they would totally be fine going "we tried" and moving on if it did. She's been around for 80 years so 1 year of multiple titles will need to expand to multiple years of multiple titles.
    That's true for all franchises. Batman gets media because he's proven he sells. The same thing with Spider-Man. The same can't be said for Green Lantern because he didn't prove he could sell. It is just now getting an HBO Max series more than a decade after that failed multi-media push.

Wonder Woman has a board game, is in Fortnite, a hell of a lot of merchandise - including the WW pajamas and mug I bought myself - is the face of DC Superhero girls, which just got a Switch game, had a section dedicated to herself at the Spirt Costume near me, etc.

She is getting a third film, and we know a Yara Flor Wonder Girl show was considered. Of course, I want more, but Wonder Woman is showing herself to slowly be a force.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As much as I'd love to see Diana get a constant stream of products(comics, cartoons, action figures, etc.), I understand that DC can only make them if they are profitable. I'm bought that 2009 animated movie and even as a die-hard WW fan, I found some issues with it. It was not great or even good. Average is more appropriate. Certainly, not well done enough to attract non-WW fans IMO. Now the last WW animated movie(Villainy Inc.) was a completely different story. While it wasn't perfect, it was quite good and was a nice opening for non-WW fans to check out without the need to know a lot of backstory.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    That's true for all franchises. Batman gets media because he's proven he sells. The same thing with Spider-Man. The same can't be said for Green Lantern because he didn't prove he could sell. It is just now getting an HBO Max series more than a decade after that failed multi-media push.

Wonder Woman has a board game, is in Fortnite, a hell of a lot of merchandise - including the WW pajamas and mug I bought myself - is the face of DC Superhero girls, which just got a Switch game, had a section dedicated to herself at the Spirt Costume near me, etc.

She is getting a third film, and we know a Yara Flor Wonder Girl show was considered. Of course, I want more, but Wonder Woman is showing herself to slowly be a force.
    You forgot the audiodrama.

Fantastic Member

Saw the sales for issue 2 from ICv2 it was ranket 26 I believe, I can't find it now. It does not seem to be doing good. Ranked behind Birds of Prey and barely above Poison Ivy 15.

Edit: https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...s-october-2023
    Last edited by Skytten; 11-08-2023 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Saw the sales for issue 2 from ICv2 it was ranket 26 I believe, I can't find it now. It does not seem to be doing good. Ranked behind Birds of Prey and barely above Poison Ivy 15.

If a comic superstar like Tom King can't get her higher than that, I don't think anyone can. And honestly, that's fine.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Was anybody expecting miracles here? DC has treated this title like trash for decades. They never gave her opportunities to develop her lore and mythos properly. Never were consistent with her supporting cast etc. WW fandom as a result is very divided.Let's see how things unfold in the long run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Was anybody expecting miracles here? DC has treated this title like trash for decades. They never gave her opportunities to develop her lore and mythos properly. Never were consistent with her supporting cast etc. WW fandom as a result is very divided.Let's see how things unfold in the long run.
    I didn't expect miracles or anything, but I expected better from a Tom King Wonder Woman book. I mean to sell worse than Birds of Prey 2 and the same as Poison Ivy issue 15 is bonkers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    If a comic superstar like Tom King can't get her higher than that, I don't think anyone can. And honestly, that's fine.
    I agree, but I do think it has sold better than what is normal on Amazon. I now digital sales aren't big, but it as for both issue 1 and 2 been the best seller for it's week and outsold multiple titles in the second week. Might also see an increase for issue 3 for retailers with the reprintings.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I didn't expect miracles or anything, but I expected better from a Tom King Wonder Woman book. I mean to sell worse than Birds of Prey 2 and the same as Poison Ivy issue 15 is bonkers.
    Are we talking about digital sales or physical sales? I heard both issues sold out. If the run is good, it can still grow more in sales. We will see.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Are we talking about digital sales or physical sales? I heard both issues sold out. If the run is good, it can still grow more in sales. We will see.
    Physical, yeah I would hope it could grow. Still would think Tom King could have brought more sells right out of the gate. As I said to Nyssane it seems to be doing very well on Amazon, So it might have a higher digital rate because it's selling out.