Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Physical, yeah I would hope it could grow. Still would think Tom King could have brought more sells right out of the gate. As I said to Nyssane it seems to be doing very well on Amazon, So it might have a higher digital rate because it's selling out.
    I guess. Since the artist was posting they were happy that isssues 1 and 2 sold out again.

Fantastic Member

I didn't expect miracles or anything, but I expected better from a Tom King Wonder Woman book. I mean to sell worse than Birds of Prey 2 and the same as Poison Ivy issue 15 is bonkers.
    To be fair, Harley Quinn is in BOP and she is by far the most popular female comic character. Poison Ivy has also enjoyed a resurgence in popularity after she and Harley appeared together in adaptations.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    To be fair, Harley Quinn is in BOP and she is by far the most popular female comic character. Poison Ivy has also enjoyed a resurgence in popularity after she and Harley appeared together in adaptations.
    Other recent books with Harley hasn't really sold that well, however that of course could be a mix of things and Thompson is a rising star (if not star already).
    100% Poison Ivy has risen in popularity, but even then Wonder Woman 2 and Poison Ivy 15 still shouldn't sell the same. This just shows the butchering DC have done with Wonder Woman.

FYI the ICV2 charts aren’t reliable. Numerous creators including PKJ and Waid have said they’re basically made up numbers, I think they base the rankings on around 200 shops out of 3000 or something like that. That means you see a lot of fluctuations in the rankings, for example F4 went from the 42 book in Sept to the 24 in Oct. I seriously doubt the numbers went up that much.

Use the ICV2 chart to get a general sense of how the book is doing but don’t take them as Gospel (and as others have said both issues sold out). Stores likely under ordered because WW typically is not a big seller.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    FYI the ICV2 charts aren’t reliable. Numerous creators including PKJ and Waid have said they’re basically made up numbers, I think they base the rankings on around 200 shops out of 3000 or something like that. That means you see a lot of fluctuations in the rankings, for example F4 went from the 42 book in Sept to the 24 in Oct. I seriously doubt the numbers went up that much.

Use the ICV2 chart to get a general sense of how the book is doing but don’t take them as Gospel (and as others have said both issues sold out). Stores likely under ordered because WW typically is not a big seller.
    That's good to hear. it probably did better than what the chart shows then. I know they also have a relatively little sample size, but Bleeding Cool had Wonder Woman higher in their sales report.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

That's good to hear. it probably did better than what the chart shows then. I know they also have a relatively little sample size, but Bleeding Cool had Wonder Woman higher in their sales report.

Plus both issues #1 and #2 both sold out and had 2nd printings that will factor into the overall sales. This book is definitely a success so far, even if it doesn't sell as well as Batman or X-men.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Plus both issues #1 and #2 both sold out and had 2nd printings that will factor into the overall sales. This book is definitely a success so far, even if it doesn't sell as well as Batman or X-men.
    I mean if ICv2 is to be believed (which it probably isn't now) it wasn't just Batman and X-men which was the problem, but Poison Ivy, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four and Nightwing all selling better at much higher issues. But second printings and digital would as said probably rank it much higher. It is however a problem because it shows how little faith/brand power Wonder Woman have that with a Superstar writer such as King shops still didn't have any faith in the book selling well.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I mean if ICv2 is to be believed (which it probably isn't now) it wasn't just Batman and X-men which was the problem, but Poison Ivy, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four and Nightwing all selling better at much higher issues. But second printings and digital would as said probably rank it much higher. It is however a problem because it shows how little faith/brand power Wonder Woman have that with a Superstar writer such as King shops still didn't have any faith in the book selling well.
    Perhaps now that both issues 1 and 2 have sold out, that will change some retailers' & readers' minds?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

The books you mentioned also charted higher on Amazon charts as did BOp [which is still in the top 100]. Sensational WW is the wonder title that's doing well on the Amazon charts. WW #2 by King is currently 179 on the Amazon superheroes charts and 460 on their super-hero charts.

2nd printing will increase it's ranking in the next icv2 charts but not the digital sales.

Note digital charts also have limitations due to being used mainly by a younger demo and in the case of #1 since most fans would like to own a physical copy.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 11-12-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Other recent books with Harley hasn't really sold that well, however that of course could be a mix of things and Thompson is a rising star (if not star already).
    100% Poison Ivy has risen in popularity, but even then Wonder Woman 2 and Poison Ivy 15 still shouldn't sell the same. This just shows the butchering DC have done with Wonder Woman.
    Harley titles are currently amongst the bestselling on various amazon lists ranging from kids Graphics Novels to classic super heroes to LGBTQ to Military and more.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Harley titles are currently amongst the bestselling on various amazon lists ranging from kids Graphics Novels to classic super heroes to LGBTQ to Military and more.
    That is bercause that crummy character has been getting a lot push in all media formats for a long time. While WW has been consistently treated like trash by her own label. So far both issues sold out, so it is a good start.

It's also worth noting that WW#2 shipped the final week of the month, which will drive down its ranking. I think the fact that both issues sold out (including the 2nd printing of issue #1) is a much better indicator of its success. Also somehow WW#1 is in the top 5 for October in dollar sales - are resolicitations not included in per-unit rankings?

That said, as others have mentioned, hard to put stock in the ICv2 charts. Creators have said as much and anecdotally I've spoken to a couple folks on the publishing side who told me outright that the numbers are BS.

Fantastic Member

The books you mentioned also charted higher on Amazon charts as did BOp [which is still in the top 100]. Sensational WW is the wonder title that's doing well on the Amazon charts. WW #2 by King is currently 179 on the Amazon superheroes charts and 460 on their super-hero charts.

2nd printing will increase it's ranking in the next icv2 charts but not the digital sales.

Note digital charts also have limitations due to being used mainly by a younger demo and in the case of #1 since most fans would like to own a physical copy.
    Damn, so another failure for WW?

Hope the video game has better luck, because WW is losing in comics and movies, not to mention never even having a animated show.

Fantastic Member

On Amazon the books rarely chart with the exception of their first or maybe second week so it is hard to compare since all these books launched on different weeks. However Wonder Woman charted better than all of them on their respective release weeks and the following week. Wonder Woman even charted a little in its third week.

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-my...d-carrying-on/

Just food for thought...

"The other entity that is causing distress to the direct market in regards to collected editions is Amazon. While I suspect there actually may be a MAP in place with Amazon, they most likely work around that by preordering at full price. Then, six months later, when they are released, they are automatically discounted by 46%. Other retailers can't compete with 46% off. Not 40% off, not 36% off and not 30% off. I have spoken with store owners who no longer carry collected editions. They even tell their customers they are better off buying from Amazon."

DC Comics essentially cares little about the overall direct market. We used to have a forum for direct communication with DC about our concerns or upcoming projects. DC shut that down. They did not want to hear anything from the 1998 retailers who weren't DCBS and Midtown.

Do you remember when Marvel and DC did subscriptions directly from them? These subscriptions are still around. Who handles orders and shipping for their subscriptions? Midtown Comics.

"Here's where things get interesting. My DC Comics discount at Lunar is so awful now I am better off ordering from DCBS at 40% off the cover price than buying wholesale at Lunar at 35%. You did not read that wrong. DCBS and Lunar are the same company. DCBS is for consumer sales, and Lunar is for distribution to retailers for resale. How does it make any sense that the very consumers I'm trying to sell to for a profit can buy the same books I am wholesaling from the same company for less?

Here's how things get worse for Lunar and DC. DC distributes collected editions through Penguin. I am better off ordering collected editions from DCB************/InStockTrades.com or Amazon, where I can get 50% off and free shipping, than buying wholesale at Lunar Distribution, where I only get 35% off and pay shipping.