Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    41,000 to 39,000 not that bad of a drop.
    Never mind read the wrong numbers. Any way still around what Azz's was selling.
    Finch's is an A-list artist. I suspect he'll carry pretty decent numbers for at least the first arc ... After that it's possible post-convergence will give them a bump assuming there is a line-wide interest generated. But who knows.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Wonder Woman #38 went to second printing btw.
    Interesting! Some stores must have wanted more copies for their customers after they saw Donna's return at the end of issue 37. But that seems like a kind of "special event" bump that might not last.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Interesting! Some stores must have wanted more copies for their customers after they saw Donna's return at the end of issue 37. But that seems like a kind of "special event" bump that might not last.
    it seems more like market speculators (yeah they still exists), I'm not sure if WW#38 sold out on stores or only on diamond distributor level. Bleeding cool report seemed to say that it was on distributor level.
    It's the first appearence of donna troy, so I can see why it sold out. But i didn't saw ww on advance reorders.

the drop was 43k to 39k, for a star like finch it is underperforming. batgirl with a mostly unknown creative team is more or less stable at 45k

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    it seems more like market speculators (yeah they still exists), I'm not sure if WW#38 sold out on stores or only on diamond distributor level. Bleeding cool report seemed to say that it was on distributor level.
    I's pretty sure it was at the distributor level; we never really know if the stores sold all their copies. But if it sold out at the distributor level, that means that stores ordered more copies from the distributor, presumably because they thought they could sell those copies to customers (whether speculators or readers). They probably thought so as soon as they saw Donna's return on the lat page of 37, prompting them to place additional orders for 38 after the "final cutoff date.".

It's the first appearence of donna troy, so I can see why it sold out. But i didn't saw ww on advance reorders.
    I think we agree; the second print probably represents a one-time bump in orders because of Donna's return.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 02-10-2015 at 11:02 AM.

BANNED

DC Comics have sold through their backstock of Batman And Robin #38, Deathstroke #2 and Wonder Woman #38 and, believing folk still want to buy them, have taken the brave step of putting them back into print – for a second time!
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/...-wonder-woman/

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm disappointed in Rich for writing this last line "That’s what bringing back Damian, bringing back Deathstroke and bringing back cheesecake will do for a comic book," when it's most likely that the high demand for Wonder Woman #38 was due to Donna Troy's return, not cheesecake.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 02-10-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Big Bang Comics
    ‏@TheBigBang_
    WONDER WOMAN #39 is now selling less than half what the previous creative team was. Sad times.

saw this on a comic shop twitter

Astonishing Member

There was a pretty good couple of paragraphs of sales analysis on Tim Hanley's blog:

After Wonder Woman #36 debuted at 58,956 copies sold in November, Wonder Woman #37 fell to 43,006 copies sold in December, a drop of 27%. In January, Wonder Woman #38 slipped down to 39,669, a drop of 8%.

On the one hand, this isn’t too bad as far as third issue drops go. It usually takes a little while for retailers to find the right level when a new creative team takes over, and initial enthusiasm quickly wanes for most series. Nothing’s at all settled in only three issues into a new run.

On the other hand, after debuting far higher than the numbers for Azzarello and Chiang’s final issue of Wonder Woman, the Finches are almost back down to that level, less than 4,000 issues away. Currently, Wonder Woman is selling only about 10% better than it was before Meredith and David Finch took over. Azzarello and Chiang’s tenure was one big three year storyline with little in the way of jumping on points for new readers; by the end, only the diehards were left buying the book. I can’t imagine that anyone at DC is pleased to see that their revamped, accessible take on Wonder Woman, headlined by a superstar artist, is already nearing the previous run’s sales.

Wonder Woman #38 is going back to print, so the sales might tick up somewhat, and that perhaps bodes well for Wonder Woman #39. It’s still early days. But it’s very unlikely that things will improve. The best DC is looking at right now, if things level out quickly, is that Wonder Woman will sell in the mid-30,000 range, which isn’t much of an improvement on what they had before and a bit of waste of an artist who’s been regularly selling other titles at a much higher rate.

Spectacular Member

There was a pretty good couple of paragraphs of sales analysis on Tim Hanley's blog:
    Sales has dropped for WW solo comic and her comic with SM I can understand why, both of the new creative teams stories are focusing on WW as a violent War God!!
    Last edited by chlj1; 02-24-2015 at 11:42 AM.

This analysis and most of the review don't factor in that Meredith is essentially a brand new writer. They may make note of it but I really don't see anyone giving her consideration for it. It's true that David is a superstar artist but Chiang is pretty popular too as is Azzarello(after all he's writing DC's current event book Future's End) so I would think that Azz and Chiang's combined popularity is equal to, if not greater than, David's popularity.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Big Bang Comics
    ‏@TheBigBang_
    WONDER WOMAN #39 is now selling less than half what the previous creative team was. Sad times.

saw this on a comic shop twitter
    Does this even make sense to you? If the sales are half of that of the Azz/Chiang run, wouldn't that put the numbers at about 18000? Yet, the numbers are closer to 40000, no?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Does this even make sense to you? If the sales are half of that of the Azz/Chiang run, wouldn't that put the numbers at about 18000? Yet, the numbers are closer to 40000, no?
    In that particular comic shop. and they said selling, they migh have ordered much more than they are really selling.

In that particular comic shop. and they said selling, they migh have ordered much more than they are really selling.

That's *one* comic shop. I saw a post on Twitter a few weeks ago saying that *one* particular shop was selling 3x as many copies of Wonder Woman since the Finchs took over. Every shop is different.

Extraordinary Member

This made me decide to do a comparison to Batgirl since both books got revamps with Wonder Woman getting the more traditional one and Batgirl opting for the more unique route.

Last issue of previous creative team:
    Batgirl #34 - 34,590
    Wonder Woman #35 - 35,968

Debut issue of new creative team:
    Batgirl #35 - 62,644
    Wonder Woman #36 - 58,965

January sales:
    Batgirl #38 - 45,096
    Wonder Woman #38 - 39,669

Two things to note:

1. The Batgirl creative team has been around for an extra issue
    2. [I]Batgirl[I] sales may have stabilized around 45k since sales actually increased from December to January (+36)

It's a small sample size but I think it adds a tiny bit of context to DC's June revamp and makes me wonder if Wonder Woman will see similar creative changes in the future.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This analysis and most of the review don't factor in that Meredith is essentially a brand new writer. They may make note of it but I really don't see anyone giving her consideration for it.
    OK, here's that consideration, then: the book is probably selling relatively well compared to other books that also have new writers who are still learning their craft.

Of course, most of those writers are probably working on low-profile books published by small indies. And, realistically, Hanley's probably right that "it's highly unlikely that [sales] will improve" for the run; even if Finch's writing noticeably improves while she's still on this book, I doubt a lot of the fans who have left (or will have left by then) will give the run a second chance.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 02-25-2015 at 05:34 AM.