Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    OK, here's that consideration, then: the book is probably selling relatively well compared to other books that also have new writers who are still learning their craft.

Of course, most of those writers are probably working on low-profile books published by small indies. And, realistically, Hanley's probably right that "it's highly unlikely that [sales] will improve" for the run; even if Finch's writing noticeably improves while she's still on this book, I doubt a lot of the fans who have left (or will have left by then) will give the run a second chance.

I gave Azzarello's run a 2nd chance, although it still failed to impress me. If I can give a WW writer a 2nd chance after that, I think just about anyone could. All it takes is the right story.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This analysis and most of the review don't factor in that Meredith is essentially a brand new writer. They may make note of it but I really don't see anyone giving her consideration for it. It's true that David is a superstar artist but Chiang is pretty popular too as is Azzarello(after all he's writing DC's current event book Future's End) so I would think that Azz and Chiang's combined popularity is equal to, if not greater than, David's popularity.
    Chiang wasn't well known prior to his time on WW ... certainly nowhere near the notoriety of Finch ... Azzarello was the draw. Let's face it, the bump in readership from the old creative team to this one is almost 100% due to Finch's name being attached to it. Meredith is a new writer and as such doesn't have a following of her own, and from the trends we're seeing in the sales to-date of her run I doubt she'll be an A-lister anytime soon.

BANNED

That's *one* comic shop. I saw a post on Twitter a few weeks ago saying that *one* particular shop was selling 3x as many copies of Wonder Woman since the Finchs took over. Every shop is different.
    What I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    In that particular comic shop. and they said selling, they migh have ordered much more than they are really selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    This made me decide to do a comparison to Batgirl since both books got revamps with Wonder Woman getting the more traditional one and Batgirl opting for the more unique route.

Last issue of previous creative team:
    Batgirl #34 - 34,590
    Wonder Woman #35 - 35,968

Debut issue of new creative team:
    Batgirl #35 - 62,644
    Wonder Woman #36 - 58,965

January sales:
    Batgirl #38 - 45,096
    Wonder Woman #38 - 39,669

Two things to note:

1. The Batgirl creative team has been around for an extra issue
    2. [I]Batgirl[I] sales may have stabilized around 45k since sales actually increased from December to January (+36)

It's a small sample size but I think it adds a tiny bit of context to DC's June revamp and makes me wonder if Wonder Woman will see similar creative changes in the future.
    Next year WW 75th anniversary and she will show up on bat v sup
    Last edited by Blacksun; 02-25-2015 at 11:36 AM.

BANNED

37 Wonder Woman 39 $2.99 DC 42,634

171 Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman 7 $3.99 DC 12,115

sales went up with harley quinn variant cover

37 Wonder Woman 39 $2.99 DC 42,634

171 Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman 7 $3.99 DC 12,115

sales went up with harley quinn variant cover

Well deserved. Phil Jimenez's variant cover for Wonder Woman #39 was nothing short of impressive and hilarious. I only wish I was able to get my hands on a copy for a reasonable price.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Chiang wasn't well known prior to his time on WW ... certainly nowhere near the notoriety of Finch ... Azzarello was the draw. Let's face it, the bump in readership from the old creative team to this one is almost 100% due to Finch's name being attached to it. Meredith is a new writer and as such doesn't have a following of her own, and from the trends we're seeing in the sales to-date of her run I doubt she'll be an A-lister anytime soon.
    In my opinion, its not Finch's name so much as it is the quality of his covers. In all honesty, I absolutely hated the covers for Chaings run. Finch's covers have just been vastly superior in every way imaginable.

Astonishing Member

Covers may help. I also wasn't a fan of the style Chiang employed on his WW run. But there is no doubt that Finch is a fan-favorite artist -- and that is always good for sales.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
    In my opinion, its not Finch's name so much as it is the quality of his covers. In all honesty, I absolutely hated the covers for Chaings run. Finch's covers have just been vastly superior in every way imaginable.
    I couldn't disagree with this more ... I loved Chiang's cover work! Finch's style is a bit busy for my taste and his early covers made Diana practically unrecognizable IMO.

Extraordinary Member

It appears SM/WW went up also, likely for similar reasons

https://thanley.wordpress.com/2015/0...n-the-finches/
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The variant covers has been causing sales spikes for Wonder Woman for the last year and a half. Nothing new here really.

BANNED

The variant covers has been causing sales spikes for Wonder Woman for the last year and a half. Nothing new here really.
    it has incentive covers, with Azz run it didn't had

it has incentive covers, with Azz run it didn't had

What about the bombshells' month from last year? Or the steampunk month?

BANNED

What about the bombshells' month from last year? Or the steampunk month?
    It's not these, it's the 1/50 and 1/100 that I'm talking about. anyway the theme month variants doesn't help for a long time

It's not these, it's the 1/50 and 1/100 that I'm talking about. anyway the theme month variants doesn't help for a long time

If I remember correctly, the sales of Wonder Woman went up significantly during the bomshells and steampunk months.

BANNED

If I remember correctly, the sales of Wonder Woman went up significantly during the bomshells and steampunk months.
    sure, that happenned with a lot of books, but many went back to normal sales and some even got cancelled