Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default The difference between the Inhumans and the Mutants

In case it isn't obvious, my question is whats the difference between the Inhumans and the Mutants.

Both get they're powers from their genetics right? I'm not the most experienced Marvel reader. So I was hoping someone could explain to me the differences.

Also, just for fun, who would win if the two races went to war and why?

The size of the fan base.

Fantastic Member

Movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    Movie rights.
    Ding! This ^

Originally, Inhumans were people from outside society--they had their own civilization, their own culture. The only way they acquired power, and still acquire power, is by exposure to the Terrigen mists. When the mists recently spread worldwide and triggered many latent Inhuman genes, these new Inhumans formed cocoons until they stabilized, and then left their cocoons.

So, Inhumans are inherently otherworldly. They come from elsewhere. Or, if they don't come from elsewhere, still have to undergo a very sci-fi-esque process.

Mutants, conversely, are more subtle. There are no mists or cocoons that necessarily proclaim that someone has acquired mutant powers. When they reach puberty (or, in some rare cases, earlier than puberty), their powers simply switch on.

So, basically, the difference is that Inhumans start "normal" and become different through a process. Mutants start "normal" and just one day wake up different.

As for the second question, who would win if they went to war, normally I would save the X-Men just due to sheer numbers, but the Inhumans are pretty crafty at warfare. If the Inhumans have Black Bolt and some of the same technologies they had in War of Kings, I'd say they have the clear edge.

Mutants are evolved human mutants. Inhumans are alien hybrids designed to be weapons for the Kree.

Many Inhumans have instincts that run contrary to humans based on the individual's genetic combination (alien instincts). Inhumans are not humans, nor are they trying to be humans. They have their own society that was advanced and complex while humans were primitive. Basically, Inhumans are like the augments/Khan from Star Trek: powerful, engineered to be superior, and suffering from an overwhelming need to rule something. They aren't about a moral, ethical principle, they are a society.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    Mutants are evolved human mutants. Inhumans are alien hybrids designed to be weapons for the Kree.

Many Inhumans have instincts that run contrary to humans based on the individual's genetic combination (alien instincts). Inhumans are not humans, nor are they trying to be humans. They have their own society that was advanced and complex while humans were primitive. Basically, Inhumans are like the augments/Khan from Star Trek: powerful, engineered to be superior, and suffering from an overwhelming need to rule something. They aren't about a moral, ethical principle, they are a society.
    Actually, they're not. The Inhumans are descended from Humans the Kree experimented on.

http://marvel.com/universe/Inhumans
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Mutants are humans who have naturally evolved to possess superhuman powers. Inhumans are augmented humans who have evolved to use an external catalyst to trigger superhuman powers.

Basically, inhumans are bootleg mutants.
    On ye olde CBR

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Actually, they're not. The Inhumans are descended from Humans the Kree experimented on.

http://marvel.com/universe/Inhumans
    Yeah they are, see "...by splicing Eternals DNA into Cro-Magnons" . All those abilities aren't mutations, they're alien DNA being turned on. Inhumans aren't humans anymore, they're something else.
    Last edited by Post Monster; 10-01-2014 at 06:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Originally, Inhumans were people from outside society--they had their own civilization, their own culture. The only way they acquired power, and still acquire power, is by exposure to the Terrigen mists. When the mists recently spread worldwide and triggered many latent Inhuman genes, these new Inhumans formed cocoons until they stabilized, and then left their cocoons.

So, Inhumans are inherently otherworldly. They come from elsewhere. Or, if they don't come from elsewhere, still have to undergo a very sci-fi-esque process.

Mutants, conversely, are more subtle. There are no mists or cocoons that necessarily proclaim that someone has acquired mutant powers. When they reach puberty (or, in some rare cases, earlier than puberty), their powers simply switch on.

So, basically, the difference is that Inhumans start "normal" and become different through a process. Mutants start "normal" and just one day wake up different.

As for the second question, who would win if they went to war, normally I would save the X-Men just due to sheer numbers, but the Inhumans are pretty crafty at warfare. If the Inhumans have Black Bolt and some of the same technologies they had in War of Kings, I'd say they have the clear edge.
    This is the best answer out of the bunch.

I would also add that by comparison average Inhuman seem more powerful than the average Mutant. Inhumans also seem to have more outlandish physical features on average.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-01-2014 at 07:20 PM.

BANNED

Default Can we have an Honest Discussion about Inhumans vs. Mutants?

The announcement of "No More Mutants" at NYCC has rekindled the belief in many that Marvel intends to remove mutants from the equation; namely to convert them into Inhumans.

I do not see any logical way this could/should come about, but many do, so I decided to create a place for greater understanding of the differences/similarities between the two superpowered factions.

There are some things I want to put up first:

Origin of mutants (the X-Gene): I could use some help with this, because I've lost track in terms of "children of the atom" vs "next phase of evolution" vs "something something Apocalypse"

Origin of the Inhumans (the Terrigen Mists): I'll put this in later when I have time, though feel free to add your own because I'm sure I'll miss something.

Some feel the Scarlet Witch will be behind the transformation. But without actually going through Terrigenesis what makes a mutant different from an Inhuman?

What does the franchise stand to lose/gain from becoming Inhumans? What about the Marvel brand?
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 10-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Well, how long i know, the X-gene comes from the time that the Celestials did some experiments on the humanity's ancestors.

And, to be sincere, the only difference between a mutant and a inhuman, its that a mutant is hunted by everyone, including the government.

And the only gain that i can see is that maybe the mutant-turned-inhuman wouldnt longer have to worry about being hunted anymore; well, either that, or, though is neither a loss or a gain, the Inhumans, in general, would start being hunted by everyone, including the government.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, how long i know, the X-gene comes from the time that the Celestials did some experiments on the humanity's ancestors.

And, to be sincere, the only difference between a mutant and a inhuman, its that a mutant is hunted by everyone, including the government.

And the only gain that i can see is that maybe the mutant-turned-inhuman wouldnt longer have to worry about being hunted anymore; well, either that, or, though is neither a loss or a gain, the Inhumans, in general, would start being hunted by everyone, including the government.
    So far, the new Inhumans do seem to be getting hunted by various groups, but more because they want to try to exploit them and their powers than because they're simply feared and hated. Which would actually make more sense for mutants all along, too. As far as the governments and corporations of the world are concerned, they should all just be 'regular people who got powers', to be treated as exploitable assets or threats depending on their exact powers or inclinations, regardless of exactly how they got the powers or what they've been called.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post

Inhumans were being slaughtered in those reeducation camps too, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    So far, the new Inhumans do seem to be getting hunted by various groups, but more because they want to try to exploit them and their powers than because they're simply feared and hated. Which would actually make more sense for mutants all along, too. As far as the governments and corporations of the world are concerned, they should all just be 'regular people who got powers', to be treated as exploitable assets or threats depending on their exact powers or inclinations, regardless of exactly how they got the powers or what they've been called.
    Also, that.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Guessing the House of M world is being used over in Secret Wars.