Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    What people like you don't realize, is that there is no reason for Marvel to cancel X-books or FF for this movie wars. It's obvious that they are going to focus their market and licensing efforts on the properties they fully own. It's how business works. And that' all.

Comic-wise only a very naive person could think Marvel didn't realized "X–Men were to big to fail". They have all the experience and data (a lot more than you) to know how their characters fare. And it would be crazy for them to cancel some of their best selling books. They have their bigger writer (Bendis) and their bigger promise (Soule) working on X-books, plus Remender. They recently launched a lot of solo books with mutants. AXIS was clearly in the work since a couple of years (before all this stupid rumours) because we saw Red Skul / Onsluaught in the first arc of Uncanny Avengers. This is not how you cancel books.

FF wil be realunched after it ends, Brevoort already hinted at that few days ago. Consider how you are fixated on this FF cancellation. When the current run of FF started and it was clear it was a Fall story, you were repeating how this was clearly the end. Then we saw the story will end with the team reunited. Then there was Sue working with SHIELD in Avengers, and again, they broke the family, they will use the characters in other franchising and so on. After a month we discovered Sue was just a mole. And I could go on, you keep dreaming clues because you just want to think you are right.

The marketing and licesing divisions of Marvel are definitely focusing on the movie characters, but the comics will keep being published.
    This makes total sense
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    What people like you don't realize, is that there is no reason for Marvel to cancel X-books or FF for this movie wars. It's obvious that they are going to focus their market and licensing efforts on the properties they fully own. It's how business works. And that' all.

Comic-wise only a very naive person could think Marvel didn't realized "X–Men were to big to fail". They have all the experience and data (a lot more than you) to know how their characters fare. And it would be crazy for them to cancel some of their best selling books. They have their bigger writer (Bendis) and their bigger promise (Soule) working on X-books, plus Remender. They recently launched a lot of solo books with mutants. AXIS was clearly in the work since a couple of years (before all this stupid rumours) because we saw Red Skul / Onsluaught in the first arc of Uncanny Avengers. This is not how you cancel books.

FF wil be realunched after it ends, Brevoort already hinted at that few days ago. Consider how you are fixated on this FF cancellation. When the current run of FF started and it was clear it was a Fall story, you were repeating how this was clearly the end. Then we saw the story will end with the team reunited. Then there was Sue working with SHIELD in Avengers, and again, they broke the family, they will use the characters in other franchising and so on. After a month we discovered Sue was just a mole. And I could go on, you keep dreaming clues because you just want to think you are right.

The marketing and licesing divisions of Marvel are definitely focusing on the movie characters, but the comics will keep being published.
    Excellent post.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I'll also add that Inhumans and X-men are mirror image concepts: X-men/mutants are about how mutants are still human beings, in spite of looking different and having strange powers. Inhumans are about how people who look like normal humans (and even look like each other) initially are actually not the same at all. It's the idea of culture shock, where you realize that this other person from another culture is doing something you thought was the same as what your culture does, but isn't actually the same at all. Even though it looks the same on the surface. With Inhumans, it's that they may have different base instincts when that alien DNA is turned on. At which point they have to learn to relate to each other as an "other" with real, different needs and drives. X-men generally don't take that route with mutants, certainly not the popular ones.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    Nope. The Inhumans have alien DNA thanks to the Kree.
    Could you provide a source for that, because to my knowledge the Kree didn't add anything exotic to the human(oid) DNA, they just manipulated within the existing DNA.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Could you provide a source for that, because to my knowledge the Kree didn't add anything exotic to the human(oid) DNA, they just manipulated within the existing DNA.
    I'm basing it on a few things. First, it makes no sense to the think 100% humans would be great spies and assassins around alien species, which was the intent of the Kree when they created the Inumans. Second, Eternals alone are a separate species from humans. Third in one comic or another (might have been around WoKs), Ronan told the Inhumans that the mist changes make them turn into different alien species, and that the Kree engineered this with the intent they could infiltrate alien governments.

Nick Fury and Bucky beg to disagree.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Third in one comic or another (might have been around WoKs), Ronan told the Inhumans that the mist changes make them turn into different alien species, and that the Kree engineered this with the intent they could infiltrate alien governments.
    I remember that, don't have my copy on hand but I do wonder whether it can be interpreted that Inhumans externally transform without being that alien species, sorta like Skrulls. I also remember Triton being sent to that aquatic planet where he looks like the natives and the female told him he's not one of them, it could either mean he's an off-worlder but of their species or an off-worlder who just resembles them. I guess we should get an official answer from Marvel.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    Are they really gonna flip Wanda and Pietro into being Inhumans or not?
    There's really no way to know at this point. They're obviously not going to tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There's really no way to know at this point. They're obviously not going to tell us.
    No, they said in one interview or another they are just leaving their origin blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I remember that, don't have my copy on hand but I do wonder whether it can be interpreted that Inhumans externally transform without being that alien species, sorta like Skrulls. I also remember Triton being sent to that aquatic planet where he looks like the natives and the female told him he's not one of them, it could either mean he's an off-worlder but of their species or an off-worlder who just resembles them. I guess we should get an official answer from Marvel.
    There's also this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    It's pretty undeniable there's a Marvel deliberate editorial policy to shaft X-Men and push Inhumans in their place, and this comes from the movie wars.
    The thing I don't understand about this position is why the X-Men need to be "shafted" to give the Inhumans any spotlight. The X-Men are plenty popular enough and have an enormous fanbase. Why would fans worry that a new supergroup is going to swoop in and take it from them? It's not like there's a finite amount of popularity in the world...

I'll also add that Inhumans and X-men are mirror image concepts: X-men/mutants are about how mutants are still human beings, in spite of looking different and having strange powers. Inhumans are about how people who look like normal humans (and even look like each other) initially are actually not the same at all. It's the idea of culture shock, where you realize that this other person from another culture is doing something you thought was the same as what your culture does, but isn't actually the same at all. Even though it looks the same on the surface. With Inhumans, it's that they may have different base instincts when that alien DNA is turned on. At which point they have to learn to relate to each other as an "other" with real, different needs and drives. X-men generally don't take that route with mutants, certainly not the popular ones.
    I think a part of the X-Men concept many modern fans miss is the Christianity angle. The X is a sideways cross, the philosophy of the X-Men to protect a world that hates and fears them has a very christian martyr vibe. Heck, the last movie's climax has Xavier reaching down to Magneto in an almost exact replica of God reaching to man in the sistine chapel. Xavier's attempts to act as Mystique's conscious have a very God-giving-the-disbeliever a sign vibe as well.

The Inhumans, though, were originally a metaphor for the aristocracy. They had slaves, their attempts to breed themselves into superior beings had turned them into freaks with immune-system health problems, just as the nobility had bred themselves into having hemophylia and other genetic health problems.

Marvel's attempting to turn the Inhumans into mutants-by-another-name was always going to be very awkward because they began as completely opposite metaphors that had nothing in common except freakishness.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think a part of the X-Men concept many modern fans miss is the Christianity angle. The X is a sideways cross, the philosophy of the X-Men to protect a world that hates and fears them has a very christian martyr vibe. Heck, the last movie's climax has Xavier reaching down to Magneto in an almost exact replica of God reaching to man in the sistine chapel. Xavier's attempts to act as Mystique's conscious have a very God-giving-the-disbeliever a sign vibe as well.

The Inhumans, though, were originally a metaphor for the aristocracy. They had slaves, their attempts to breed themselves into superior beings had turned them into freaks with immune-system health problems, just as the nobility had bred themselves into having hemophylia and other genetic health problems.

Marvel's attempting to turn the Inhumans into mutants-by-another-name was always going to be very awkward because they began as completely opposite metaphors that had nothing in common except freakishness.
    X is not a sideways cross, a cross is more like a t than an X.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    It's pretty undeniable there's a Marvel deliberate editorial policy to shaft X-Men and push Inhumans in their place, and this comes from the movie wars.

However, there are a few things Marvel failed to consider:

1.) X-Men were too big to fail and still one of their best selling franchises

2.) Their replacement, the Inhumans, were handled horribly. First they take the 2 most popular characters (BB and Maximus) out of the book, then they kill off the 3rd most popular character (Karnak), then they introduce a bunch of new people nobody cared about. All to try and erase Inhuman history to make them more able to replace the X-Men niche, while simultaneously sabotaging them doing such. Combine that with delays and last minute changes and the attempted coup against the X-Men stood little chance.

Marvel has largely settled into the reality over the last 6-7 months that the X-Men are here to stay, imo. They've given up on replacing them, and Axis is testament to that. But there's limits on how much Marvel will tolerate, of course. It's why outside of Bendis (who is just doing his own thing) we're seeing unremarkable, unimportant, mostly Solo X-Books, with significant constraints on what new material they can create. The books are sidelined and rarely relevant to anything else in the MU. However that is not to say Disney has given up completely on their dream of erasing the X-Men to screw Fox. They are striking back, the whole "death of Wolverine" was a deliberate attempt to kill off the most profitable X-character both in the comics and in the films. It's why I predict Logan will not return under the comic book movie fad blows over.

Of course, the Fantastic Four were not like the X-Men and Marvel was able to get rid of them without major issue, replacing them partially with the Guardians of the Galaxy (whose book has become earth-centric sci-fi, former First Family territory).

In any regard to deny Marvel is deliberately working against X-Men and F4 these days comes off as delusional to me.

Or, for TL;DR:

No more needs to be said.
    Well said.

It's no secret Marvel wants to push the Inhumans as a sort of replacement for the lack of mutants in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As a result, Marvel has tried to make them more relevant in their comic book universe, but quality of the stories aside, sales-wise it doesn't seem to be working as well as they had hoped.
    For me, the biggest problem is the overlap with the mutant concept. Inhumans can't be yet another race of "hated and feared" because that's already the X-men's thing. You can't really compete with the X-men in the comic book world and Marvel would be dumb to try. They need to figure out a way to make them both unique.
    Last edited by Factor; 11-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.