Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    Just want to talk about some discussions in the Hellboy and The BPRD thread.
    Is it even possible to have another long arc after Hell on Earth?
    I personally can't imagine it at all. The vampire apocalypse sounds like a cool idea but is no where as dramatic as Ogdru Jahad/Hem.
    I mean, this is what the story is built up for, from the very first Hellboy TPB,
    we were told there will be a final confrontation between men and the overwhelming Cthulhu-like monsters.
    While Hell lurks behind, waiting to fulfill the prophecy by scorching the earth, create a world of their own and march towards Heaven (though that no longer seems likely).
    My thought on it is simply that while there may be another big cycle after Hell on Earth, that doesn't necessarily mean that the next cycle is set after Hell on Earth. It could be that Hell on Earth really is the end of the B.P.R.D. series as we know it, and the future is in the past with Hellboy and the B.P.R.D..

Or it could be that the next cycle is simply an evolution of what came before it. Plague of Frogs was not an isolated incident that wrapped up nicely before Hell on Earth kicked off. Plague of Frogs was the beginning of the end, and Hell on Earth was the next step. Mike Mignola has made a few very vague references to a post-apocalyptic world in some interviews. Maybe that's where we go next.

The vampire thing can be a part of all this, but I don't see it being the major thing ever. John Arcudi doesn't do vampires. And they don't have the same scale as Ogdru Hem (in a thematic sense).

I mean, this is what the story is built up for, from the very first Hellboy TPB,
    we were told there will be a final confrontation between men and the overwhelming Cthulhu-like monsters.
    While Hell lurks behind, waiting to fulfill the prophecy by scorching the earth, create a world of their own and march towards Heaven (though that no longer seems likely).
    No, I'd say "we" were never told that. Not as how I'd be reading things. Not a single Hellboy- or B.P.R.D.-related story even mentions the word "Heaven" or any "march towards such". Not actually and not thematically.

The narratives mention other words or notions such as "Hell", the "Apocalypse", both as "Ragnarok", but none such notions need to have bearing on any kind of "Heaven" even remotely.

Even if Abe or frog monsters would have anything to do with a "new race of men", then Apocalypse and Ragnarok would still be meaning the end of the world indiscriminately, since if any race of anything would live or survive past an Apocalypse then it wouldn't really be an Apocalypse.

If the demon Anung Un Rama would be overlooking the world beyond the Apocalypse, then that world would still be totally dead and fully ended.

Whereas if on account of the Ogdru Jahad (residing out of this world) a NEW world might become to be with NEW races and potentially NEW monsters or demons, that world would be a different one than the old and dead one.

Even if Abe would be like a prototype or miscreant glimpse onto what a new race of men would be like, none of that would make Abe or anyone into some kind of immortal or survivor necessarily.
    Especially not Abe, since he more rather seems like the one who cannot have an idenity, as consisting of two persons, of which he can be neither: not Langdon Caul as he would be dead and not Abe Sapien since that embodiment appears to keep on changing or evolving into who knows what. I think if Hellboy would seem his own guy pretty stubbornly even beyond destinies or death, then Abe seems destined to never be or become himself, because he seems past it pretty effectively.

But not Abe and not Hellboy and not anyone would be to survive beyond an Apocalypse, because from the Apocalypse or End of the World there couldn't be survivors.

Is it even possible to have another long arc after Hell on Earth?
    Why wouldn't it be? Hellboy's death in itself spawned a fully new title as sounding and seeming on a pretty grand scale.
    The Hellboy- and B.P.R.D.-related books seem so thematically driven as well as told so organically that apparently for any arcs there would exist but the most pivotal reasons.

I seem to remember there recently have been a number of interviews on the future of the B.P.R.D. (books) with Scott Allie both as mr Mignola, on how the B.P.R.D. would in ways change from books and arcs into more like an ongoing title. I personally don't experience such as being a big change at all, since I feel to witness a new ongoing numbering but arcs still feel like arcs. Some smaller and some larger, some prolific-sounding or either just fun and mysterious, but I'm liking it all.

And I certainly don't feel that with death or doom seeming imminent things would seem less exciting or less captivating, then any of the older books, but more rather the opposite. It all seems as imaginative and as striking as ever. Hellboy in Hell seems more vibrant and positively more awesome than Seed of Destruction to me.

And although I generally find the B.P.R.D. books a bit harder to get into, especially the more arcs would appear to be happening at once, I hardly think any of it should be less now than any time in the past.
    I do love to jump back to less confusing times for rereading older stories, but that doesn't mean I would not be interested in all the turmoil and confusement as hitting the B.P.R.D. in the now.

I feel in this way I'm getting the best as a reader: the stories got to be what they are, plus they got to develop into what they could be, as with even culminating into having an actual ending nonetheless. I feel to like all that so much better than just having a zillion stories about a non-changing B.P.R.D.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 10-05-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    No, I'd say "we" were never told that. Not as how I'd be reading things. Not a single Hellboy- or B.P.R.D.-related story even mentions the word "Heaven" or any "march towards such". Not actually and not thematically.
    I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to exactly, but Heaven is mentioned by Ualac in Box Full of Evil part 2 of 2.

The Claw of Justice!

Is there a new announcement today?

Spectacular Member

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ny...d/1100-150042/

I want this poster so bad. Anyone going to NYCC ? I'd be willing to pay postage if anyone is kind enough.

Nice poster. How many will wind up on eBay? It would be nice if DH actually made these things available to people post-con.

I wish that image was higher res...! I'd love to check out all the details.

I will have to composite my own in photoshop once all the solicitations have been announced although it will have the logo on each page.

All-New Member

I'm actually going on Thursday, if they'll permit, I'll grab some if people let me know by tomorrow evening!

The Claw of Justice!

I'm hoping for an announcement relating to the Lobster... maybe some one-shots next year?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxmarkabyx View Post
    I'm actually going on Thursday, if they'll permit, I'll grab some if people let me know by tomorrow evening!
    Can someone consult, how to make a PM? Or I can't by cause of low quantity of messages?

xxmarkabyx, anyway, if you can grab one for guy from Russia, I will be most grateful.

Also, here is the announcement (a great one!) for Day 8 - http://www.newsarama.com/22340-art-f...e-in-2015.html
    Last edited by Shargor; 10-08-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I'm hoping for an announcement relating to the Lobster... maybe some one-shots next year?
    Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
    Can someone consult, how to make a PM? Or I can't by cause of low quantity of messages?

xxmarkabyx, anyway, if you can grab one for guy from Russia, I will be most grateful.

Also, here is the announcement (a great one!) for Day 8 - http://www.newsarama.com/22340-art-f...e-in-2015.html
    Yeah, there's further news about Itty Bitty Comics here. The Hellboy stuff should start in July, I think.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxmarkabyx View Post
    I'd be interested in one of the posters if you're able to get a couple extras, xxmarkabyx. Just let me know. Many thanks!

All-New Member

Sounds good, folks!!! I'll pick up as many as I can and I'll be in touch regarding how many I manage to get. I'll post tomorrow and let those of you who have shown interest how I make out!

Good luck and more importantly... Enjoy the show!