Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dollar Bin Comic Finds

I decided to make this thread because I haven't seen one like it (I apologize if there is one already and I totally missed it) and I frequent my LCS' dollar bin often and I can find some really good stuff sometimes. So I wanted to see what others have found, too!

My LCS' dollar bin is really awesome because everything is bagged and boarded already, so you're getting a comic that's already protected all for a whopping $1. Some highlights of what I've found include:

- Harley Quinn #7 Bombshell Variants cover
    - Sandman Overture #2
    - Secret Avengers #1
    - Elektra #3

I know these aren't super amazing finds, really, but any time I can find a #1 or a fairly recent series that is either finished or ongoing this cheap, it's a win to me The Bombshell variant find was totally awesome. Never expected that.

What gems have you guys found digging through your LCS' dollar bins?
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

This wasn't but from a dollar bin, but actually from a 25 cent bin. It's from one of my favorite comic runs.

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Whoa, that's awesome!! And the fact that it's a #1 is insane!
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

My LCS has a 5 for $1 bin, and I've found quite a few interesting finds there. For example, I picked up the first 5 issues of ELECTRIC WARRIOR, also SUICIDE SQUAD #5, from the 1980s series, one of the few issues I was missing in my collection.

Wildcats #1

BANNED

On the rare occasions I'm able to find time to go to a convention the dollar bins are where I spend all of my time. Just about anything out in the last 20 years can be found (outside of relatively pricier books like Walking Dead 1-20) if you look hard enough, and I come across things l might have missed all of the time. And as Thuro's WildCATS find shows, a s##t-ton of '90s books (some good stuff there too).

My LCS's do not really have a dollar bin.

Selling floppy's really isn't a main cause for them. One only has a couple of recent ones (always at full price), the other has some boxes with old ones. Most of them translations.
    Managed to find a bundle of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu comics, about 12, which was nice.

I got a copy of the Batman: Prodigal trade in perfect condition from a Goodwill for a buck while it was ranging from 50-100 dollars on EBay. Stupid me didn't sell it the minute the Knightfall omnibus books were announced, so I'd be lucky to get 20 bucks for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    My LCS has a 5 for $1 bin, and I've found quite a few interesting finds there. For example, I picked up the first 5 issues of ELECTRIC WARRIOR, also SUICIDE SQUAD #5, from the 1980s series, one of the few issues I was missing in my collection.
    I'm so jealous of the 5 for $1 idea and especially that you were able to find Suicide Squad from the original Ostrander series in it My LCS has some Suicide Squad in their back issue drawers but they're not as cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I got a copy of the Batman: Prodigal trade in perfect condition from a Goodwill for a buck while it was ranging from 50-100 dollars on EBay. Stupid me didn't sell it the minute the Knightfall omnibus books were announced, so I'd be lucky to get 20 bucks for it now.
    I think I would flip my lid if I could find a trade in any condition, let alone perfect, for that price! What an awesome find.

Last year I picked up a New Teen Titans #2 for a buck It's the first appearance of Deathstroke. It has some water damage but I already have a copy. I figured I couldn't say no.

BANNED

There's a comic book store near me that sells back issues for a dollar a pound. A lot of it is crap but there's good stuff, too. I recently cherry-picked a whole short box worth. Got some nice issues of Crossfire, some 80s Superman books and an issue of Dopin' Dan in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Last year I picked up a New Teen Titans #2 for a buck It's the first appearance of Deathstroke. It has some water damage but I already have a copy. I figured I couldn't say no.
    I don't blame you, I wouldn't have been able to say no for a buck either, water damage or no!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    There's a comic book store near me that sells back issues for a dollar a pound. A lot of it is crap but there's good stuff, too. I recently cherry-picked a whole short box worth. Got some nice issues of Crossfire, some 80s Superman books and an issue of Dopin' Dan in the mix
    Duuuuuuude. A dollar a pound? No way. Now you guys are trying to make me jealous

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Both of the comic books stores near me have excellent quarter bins, and over the last few weeks I've picked up:

Blood Syndicate 1-10 (to replace issues damaged in a flood)
    Shade, the Changing Man 20-25 (likewise)
    Omega Men ('80s series) 1-9
    Sisterhood of Steel 1-6
    Hawkworld (ongoing) 1-10

Quality varies, but all are certainly readable.

A few towns over is a comic shop that has a Discount warehouse that boasts over 50,000 $1 comics in their "comic cave." I've spent a few afternoons browsing through, at times finding gems among the boxes including an Avengers Annual #10 mid-grade (1st app Rogue), Teen Titans (Silver Age series) 34, and others. They also have a clearance trade section, and were blowing out some CrossGen trades at $2 each (mostly Forge, Edge and the smaller almost digest sized trades) that I grabbed to sample some stuff.

At a Half Price Books, I found a Brave & the Bold 85 mid grade (1st new look Green Arrow) for $1.50 as well as a bunch of Silver Age Hawkman, Atom, and Our Army at War issues at the same price.

I've found other bargains before too over the years (best being Marvel Special Edition 16 -2nd Shang Chi) for a dime because the owner had used a fat black marker to x out something on a sheet of paper and the comic was unbagged below it and the marker bled through leaving an X on the cover, but it was otherwise in VF) and he was throwing it in a charity box he did (all books a dime, all proceeds go to help literacy programs in the community).

It's usually a matter of luck, timing, and knowing where to look.

-M

Not a dollar bin find, but I was checking out the half-price trades at a con when I came across Wildstorm's Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street trades. They're all out of print. Volume 1 of Friday goes for over $70 on eBay, when you can find it. The others go for about $20 each. I paid $7.50 each for the three books. Been meaning to sell them, but I haven't read them yet.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.