Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Captain America #25 Review/Spoilers

The issue starts with the bomb Falcon had blowing up, and we see panels with the expressions of different characters while Steve narrates how he first met Sam, and what a good guy/hero he is. We then see Tony catch a falling Sam and they land in Central Park with the rest of the heroes.

Meanwhile, Jet tells her father that he's no good and that if the worlds gonna go down, she's gonna fight to stop it. He tells her she always has a place by his side and walks away.

Back in the Park, Steve and Sharon are reunited, and Sharon says that Sam never even thought about it, he just took the bomb to save everyone else, and Steve basically says "of course he did". Then Sam makes some jokes about how awesome he is, and how smart he is to have Tony make him Vibranium wings. Which of course Tony then jokes that he's the real hero of the day because he made them.

Everyone is very excited Sam's alive, especially Jet who comes running to hug him, only to get called a traitor by Sharon, who says Jet was working for Zola the whole time. She tries to tell them she's innocent, but Steve says they have to be safe so they need to restrain her and that IF she's innocent. Which at that point she gets mad at the IF, and says that Zola was right about all of them and runs off towards his tower. Ian tries to stop her and get her to come back but she says he had his chance to fight for her, and the ship disappears back to Dimension Z.

One Week Later we have a big gathering of every Avenger ever at the mansion. We see everyone trying to make jokes, but Visions the only one to make a funny one, he says so himself, and we get Steve's announcement about his replacement. We get the fulnicest joke of the gathering in Sam saying that he knows no one is actually surprised.

In the epilogue we see Hydra Castle where we see some characters from the Bitter March series, and someone who stays cloaked that the Hydra people say just came from the announcement of the new Cap!!! He/She says that they've known Sam for years, and it sounds like Hydra wants to try and get Sam on their side???

Overall I liked this issue. I really enjoyed all the banter in the mansion, and I'm really intrigued about who the mole for Hydra is, which is going to lead into the new series.

However, I really, REALLY disliked what went down with Jet!!! None of them even gave her a chance to explain or the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe she betrayed them, but it still sucks she ran off with her dad. I am glad she didn't get killed off though, and hopefully she'll show up in the new series at some point. Just hopefully not totally evil, even if she probably will be

Anyways, I thought this was a good end to this run, and it does pretty good at setting up the next series.

Another day, another replacement Cap. XD

i'm not happy about Jet either. it was too easy an out. some of the jokey stuff at Avengers Mansion was...odd.

BANNED

Something does seem off with the dismissal of Jet. Here's hoping Remender could tie things up in the new Cap. series with Sam.

BANNED

I really like this issue. I also like the addition that Sam came up with the idea for his Wings. Sure he didn't build them himself but at least he gave his own personal influence on them. Hopefully, if the character keeps getting more lime light we can finally have Sam doing his own tinkering on his flight suit.

Gotta say this is going to be a fun ride moving forward.

Underwhelmed. Way too soon for yet another replacement Cap. I like the Falcon as the Falcon not as Capt America. Did not like how Jet was written out of the book. Also hated the Avengers scene. It felt too forced (like Remender was channeling Bendis). Not enough to get me to buy the next volume of Capt America.

It was kind of a weak issue. The dialogue felt so off at times. If this kind of quality continues I most likely won't stay on for the next volume for long.

Spectacular Member

I thought this was a weak issue. Hopefully (or not depending on who you are) the traitor at the end is Sharon. It's the only way to amend that awful writing surrounding Jet's change. I thought the dialogue with the Avengers was weird and not really funny. Captain Falcon's intro was funny however.

BANNED

I liked the joke about the reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post
    I thought this was a weak issue. Hopefully (or not depending on who you are) the traitor at the end is Sharon. It's the only way to amend that awful writing surrounding Jet's change. I thought the dialogue with the Avengers was weird and not really funny. Captain Falcon's intro was funny however.
    Yea I had that kind of thought after reading the issue that Sharon had set up Jet so everyone would grow suspicious of her. She may not even be aware that she's the traitor after all, she was a captive of Zola for God knows how long. He could have easily brainwashed her to believe Jet was working with him. It was the heroes who grabbed the idiot ball on this one to not consider the possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Underwhelmed. Way too soon for yet another replacement Cap. I like the Falcon as the Falcon not as Capt America. Did not like how Jet was written out of the book. Also hated the Avengers scene. It felt too forced (like Remender was channeling Bendis). Not enough to get me to buy the next volume of Capt America.
    Wanna know what was messed up about the Avengers scene? They had Tony, Beast, Black Panther and Doctor Strange there celebrating with everyone when this would be taking place after Cap made the call to bring them in. Remender really seems to be ignoring Hickman's story in his books.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 10-01-2014 at 08:38 PM.

BANNED

As far as building anticipation for the new Cap run, I have to say the best part of this issue was the epilogue. Very intrigued by the introduction of the "Unknown Council" and the fact that one of the hooded figures is apparently a hero who was just at Sam's coronation as Cap. Definitely interested in how that develops. As for the bulk of the issue, I'd say it was satisfactory at best. To be fair to Remender, there was no way for the introduction of Sam as Cap to have any dramatic impact at this point. It was just kind of...there and Remender played it with an appropriate wink to the fact that every reader already knew. However, I did think that it would've been interesting to see the conversation that Steve and Sam had where Steve told Sam his decision. Especially as there was no "wow" factor left to the reveal itself, I would've liked to see how Sam and Steve handled things behind the scenes between the two of them. But, whatever.

More of a bummer was, as others noted, the abrupt departure of Jet. I don't know if different art could've sold this moment better but it hit a sour note for me. I really didn't like how Sharon - or Steve, for that matter - handled the accusation towards Jet and her almost immediate response to flee back to her father was also jarring and disappointing. I'd like to hope that this was some kind of set-up, planned to have Jet "on the inside", keeping an eye on Zola for Sam. If not, I hope she'll get a chance to rejoin the good guys as I liked her as an addition to the cast. I also wonder if (as others have suggested) Sharon was trained to do Zola's work, helping him to push Jet back to him, while she remains as his mole inside of Steve's camp. Given her long time as Zola's prisoner, it's certainly possible that she was brainwashed. We'll see. While interesting things could come of what happened in regards to Jet, I didn't quite care for how they went down in this issue.

I also wasn't that keen on the jokey banter among the Avengers. Felt somewhat flat to me.

On the whole, kind of a mixed bag. The bulk of the issue was, at best, just ok but that epilogue successfully whetted my appetite for the next volume. I expect having Sam in the lead will be an invigorating change for Remender and Immonen on art is automatically going to elevate the book. This wasn't the best "last" issue I could've imagined but I think it's safe to hope for better things to come.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 10-01-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yea I had that kind of thought after reading the issue that Sharon had set up Jet so everyone would grow suspicious of her. She may not even be aware that she's the traitor after all, she was a captive of Zola for God knows how long. He could have easily brainwashed her to believe Jet was working with him. It was the heroes who grabbed the idiot ball on this one to not consider the possibility.

Wanna know what was messed up about the Avengers scene? They had Tony, Beast, Black Panther and Doctor Strange there celebrating with everyone when this would be taking place after Cap made the call to bring them in. Remender really seems to be ignoring Hickman's story in his books.
    Remenders stuff in general doesn't seem to be in sync with the rest of the MU.

In Original Sin Steve was still young, but in the Cap book Steve is old and Thor still has his hammer. Steve also seems to be on good terms with the Illuminati.

Creating a time line for a lot of this is really though.

BANNED

The issue was weak along with the setup for the next. The jet scene was obviously setup to plant Sharon as the mole and the new madam hydra.

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Underwhelmed. Way too soon for yet another replacement Cap.
    How is it too soon? It's been years since Bucky was Cap and Sam has had the Mantle before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    The issue was weak along with the setup for the next. The jet scene was obviously setup to plant Sharon as the mole and the new madam hydra.
    That is very unlikely. Sharon isn't the mole and she had a point. Them being wary of Jet made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post
    Considering that would be completely out of character for Sharon, she's obviously not the traitor. Writing a character OOC is not a way to make amends.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 10-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Mighty Member

Rogers will be back in uniform by the release of Cpatain America 3.