Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bad issue, bad jokes, great homage to avengers #181

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez

That is very unlikely. Sharon isn't the mole and she had a point. Them being wary of Jet made sense.

It's not highly unlikely or OOC, Sharon has been bin that role too many times, once on her own accord cause of her anger at old man fury.

Jet in the issue genuinely rejected Zola just to go back and Sharon to make such accusations that she herself can be pinned for and zolas words come conviently to pass on jet. We get a new madam hydra under the pretext who knows Sam and "no one will never suspect you" especially considering that in dimension Z she blew up at point blank range... She knows the avengers and has never fully been seen wiped completely of Dr Faustus programming (braubarker run)

Come now this setup is weak and very straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    How is it too soon? It's been years since Bucky was Cap and Sam has had the Mantle before.
    It's been only 3 years since Steve became Cap again....

Ultimate Member

Sharon was held captive by Zola for years (in Dimension Z time). It's not AT ALL outside of the realm of possibility that he messed with her mind. Be it brainwashing, hypnosis, suggestion, etc. And having her be his mole on Cap's team definitely sounds like something that Zola would do. Like others have said, I too didn't like the Jet scene. It somehow managed to make ALL of the characters look bad in one fell swoop:

-Sharon's mental state/loyalty is now in question.
    -Cap and the others look like idiots for immediately turning on Jet despite her having fought by their side all this time.
    -Jet looks bad for just immediately running back to her dad for what it frankly a lame reason. If she had just gone off on her own for awhile, then I could have bought it much more.

It was just bad all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    It was kind of a weak issue. The dialogue felt so off at times. If this kind of quality continues I most likely won't stay on for the next volume for long.
    I have not liked the writing since Dimension Z and no indication as I browse the book at the store that it is worth picking up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Sharon was held captive by Zola for years (in Dimension Z time). It's not AT ALL outside of the realm of possibility that he messed with her mind. Be it brainwashing, hypnosis, suggestion, etc. And having her be his mole on Cap's team definitely sounds like something that Zola would do. Like others have said, I too didn't like the Jet scene. It somehow managed to make ALL of the characters look bad in one fell swoop:

-Sharon's mental state/loyalty is now in question.
    -Cap and the others look like idiots for immediately turning on Jet despite her having fought by their side all this time.
    -Jet looks bad for just immediately running back to her dad for what it frankly a lame reason. If she had just gone off on her own for awhile, then I could have bought it much more.

It was just bad all around.
    And repetitive!!! Sharon was kidnapped and brainwashed / thought dead back from dead before. Old aged Cap was done before. Replacement Cap was done before. REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    The issue starts with the bomb Falcon had blowing up, and we see panels with the expressions of different characters while Steve narrates how he first met Sam, and what a good guy/hero he is. We then see Tony catch a falling Sam and they land in Central Park with the rest of the heroes.

Meanwhile, Jet tells her father that he's no good and that if the worlds gonna go down, she's gonna fight to stop it. He tells her she always has a place by his side and walks away.

Back in the Park, Steve and Sharon are reunited, and Sharon says that Sam never even thought about it, he just took the bomb to save everyone else, and Steve basically says "of course he did". Then Sam makes some jokes about how awesome he is, and how smart he is to have Tony make him Vibranium wings. Which of course Tony then jokes that he's the real hero of the day because he made them.

Everyone is very excited Sam's alive, especially Jet who comes running to hug him, only to get called a traitor by Sharon, who says Jet was working for Zola the whole time. She tries to tell them she's innocent, but Steve says they have to be safe so they need to restrain her and that IF she's innocent. Which at that point she gets mad at the IF, and says that Zola was right about all of them and runs off towards his tower. Ian tries to stop her and get her to come back but she says he had his chance to fight for her, and the ship disappears back to Dimension Z.

One Week Later we have a big gathering of every Avenger ever at the mansion. We see everyone trying to make jokes, but Visions the only one to make a funny one, he says so himself, and we get Steve's announcement about his replacement. We get the fulnicest joke of the gathering in Sam saying that he knows no one is actually surprised.

In the epilogue we see Hydra Castle where we see some characters from the Bitter March series, and someone who stays cloaked that the Hydra people say just came from the announcement of the new Cap!!! He/She says that they've known Sam for years, and it sounds like Hydra wants to try and get Sam on their side???

Overall I liked this issue. I really enjoyed all the banter in the mansion, and I'm really intrigued about who the mole for Hydra is, which is going to lead into the new series.

However, I really, REALLY disliked what went down with Jet!!! None of them even gave her a chance to explain or the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe she betrayed them, but it still sucks she ran off with her dad. I am glad she didn't get killed off though, and hopefully she'll show up in the new series at some point. Just hopefully not totally evil, even if she probably will be

Anyways, I thought this was a good end to this run, and it does pretty good at setting up the next series.
    Jet Black ages in Dimension Z, so she's going to come back pretty old.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-03-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    I have not liked the writing since Dimension Z and no indication as I browse the book at the store that it is worth picking up again.
    I'm compelled to give it a chance only to see where the HYDRA business goes. Hopefully, the momentum will shift and it'll be a great book. Besides, I want to see how Steve comes back and I feel like I'll be needing the whole story.

Sharon seems like obvious red herring. I mean way too obvious. What happened with Jet was depressing though.

The epilogue was indeed the best part of the book though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Sharon seems like obvious red herring. I mean way too obvious. What happened with Jet was depressing though.

Honestly I thought the epilogue was almost worth the cover price alone.

The Avenger banter was a little over the top, but I thought it was funny. And the whole mystery about who is secretly working with Hydra is pretty cool. That's a huge hook as far as getting me to check out the next book.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I like Jet and I liked where her dynamic/relationship with Falcon was going. Her exit here just seems really rushed and poorly thought-out. I hope that this doesn't turn into an "evil genetics" thing, where if you're the child of a villain, then you are destined to be one yourself regardless of circumstances. I've seen comics do that quite a bit and I don't like it.

BANNED

The use of Sharon carter in this as an obvious ploy and then jet is just entirely weak.

I'd like it if they had let Sharon sit out with Steve and brought in a new female or an old forgotten female as the mysterious figure. Id also like if jet going back like that wasn't so rushed either.

BANNED

Promise she's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Promise she's not.
    Oh I'm not disagreeing entirely. The history is entirely there and Sharon certainly should be top suspect for the traitor. My point only is that it just seems too obvious to be her. Could just be misdirection but if she is the traitor then I won't be surprised at all.

Oh I'm not disagreeing entirely. The history is entirely there and Sharon certainly should be top suspect for the traitor. My point only is that it just seems too obvious to be her. Could just be misdirection but if she is the traitor then I won't be surprised at all.
    The traitor is probably Vision. Based on those last few pages the Vision is clearly been the butt of their jokes. If that's how they've been treating him all this time, it's no wonder he'd turn evil.