Page 57 of 79 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    To be fair Daryl was a recruiter for the prison as well. He found Bob and asked him some questions if all can remember it. lol
    Yeah, when my family watched that scene my mother said; "Daryl isn't going to be some recruiter." And I said; "That's what he did when they were at the prison."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yeah, when my family watched that scene my mother said; "Daryl isn't going to be some recruiter." And I said; "That's what he did when they were at the prison."
    Kirkman's comic introduced one unique idea to post apocalyptic fiction - zombie or otherwise - that a community will be seeking recruits that they observe in secret then invite in. I have read lots of such post apocalyptic stories - zombie and otherwise - and never saw that idea. The rest of Kirkman's stuff - zombie gladiators, cannibals, being under siege, etc is standard tropes in the genre.

It's interesting that Rick only went to Carol and Daryl for his group of liberators. Not Glenn (one of his oldest and trusted friends), not Michonne (his deputy sherrif) and not Abraham (the soldier). Does he want to give them a chance to stay and work things out? Michonne certainly seems to take all of this seriously, but she has kind of been on board since Aaron showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    As the Talking Dead had Alexandra Breckenridge on and she basically has said , Jessie has now started to have feelings for this intense man Rick Grimes. They shared a look at the end of the episode that seemed to sum up , that after 3 seasons , Rick Grimes is moving past Lori Grimes.
    What I loved most about the build-up to the kiss was Rick getting that stamp. A red "A" looks less like it stands for "Alexandria" and more like a scarlet letter. Rick Grimes Adulterer!

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    Short seasons does nothing to help them, there ratings are from the character killing and zombie craze
    Is part of this due to Kirkman and the comics? I'm sure he doesn't want the show to catch up to what he's doing, but then you have to avoid the dreaded "F" word that plagues anime adaptations of manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Carol is ruthless and will do whatever it takes, if it came down to it she'd murder that kid flat out if he got in the way of them having somewhere safe to live. And the threat was all that was needed, if she actually had to kill him she'd probably make it quick and humane, she just wanted his silence.
    She never planned to kill that kid (I mean, well, she thought on her feet and there was no planning, but you know what I mean), she knew the threat would be enough. I like how she called the walkers "monsters" and describing how they'd rip that kid apart...she could've easily only spent a fraction of the time threatening him. It's not like him disappearing in the middle of the night would help her in any way since suspicion would fall on the new guys. I love Carol so much I'm tempted to try that applesauce cookie recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    OK I had time to digest the show. I gave it a good mark. I like the 'slow burn' episodes (but with reservations). One of the things that TWD TV show gets wrong - and this holds it up from being great is that they don't present a plausible world that is 'fleshed out'. By that I mean we see the people of Alexandria and they seem to have some sort of security - and an ambitious and dangerous recruit mission but we don't see the mechanism of this town well. And I don't think it is nitpicking - I think such details add depth.
    I'm wondering what Deanna meant when she was talking "commerce". Do they already have a monetary system in place? We saw some money change hands when Carl was talking to those other kids.

Currently MagSeven

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    Kirkman's comic introduced one unique idea to post apocalyptic fiction - zombie or otherwise - that a community will be seeking recruits that they observe in secret then invite in. I have read lots of such post apocalyptic stories - zombie and otherwise - and never saw that idea. The rest of Kirkman's stuff - zombie gladiators, cannibals, being under siege, etc is standard tropes in the genre.
    I think those soldiers were doing something like that in 28 Days Later. They spied on Jim's group for a bit then saved them and took them in to take "his" women.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    So am I the only one who thought that Carol scene was absolutely, 100% out of character? Carol, all that she's been through, all of it pretty regrettably, isn't going to threaten to kill a child.

I hated that.
    I actually thought for a second she would forego the threat and just kill him. The threat was pretty heavy handed, but you could practically smell that kid's piss running down his leg through the TV screen. I don't see how you find that to be out of character for her. Of all the survivors, Carol has been proven to be the one who will truly do whatever is needed to get the job done, even if it means shooting a little girl in the back of the head. Seriously, do you not remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    I think those soldiers were doing something like that in 28 Days Later. They spied on Jim's group for a bit then saved them and took them in to take "his" women.
    That falls under rogue military trope for this genre.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It's interesting that Rick only went to Carol and Daryl for his group of liberators. Not Glenn (one of his oldest and trusted friends), not Michonne (his deputy sherrif) and not Abraham (the soldier). Does he want to give them a chance to stay and work things out? Michonne certainly seems to take all of this seriously, but she has kind of been on board since Aaron showed up.
    I think it was kind of weird to not include Glenn, but he's been overshadowed by Daryl for a while now as #1 bro.
    I think Michonne is generally in a better place than Rick, psychologically, and is extremely hopeful about the town. Rick probably didn't want to bring her down. Her putting-up-the-sword scene actually pulled off better in the show than the comics.
    Abraham and Rick aren't friends at all, they just trust eachother. I don't see him being in the inner circle at all. All the bonding times Rick and Abraham had in the comics were replaced with Daryl in the show.
    Daryl is Rick's left hand. He wouldn't do anything this big without telling him. Daryl's also shown a willingness to cross the line to survive.
    Carol seems a little sketchy because of her previous acts of violence, but bottom line: Rick trusts that she will keep herself, and by extension, the group alive, no matter the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy
    Short seasons does nothing to help them, there ratings are from the character killing and zombie craze
    I 100% disagree with this. If anything, the seasons should be shorter. 6 would be really pushing it, but I think 10 would be perfect.

Is part of this due to Kirkman and the comics? I'm sure he doesn't want the show to catch up to what he's doing, but then you have to avoid the dreaded "F" word that plagues anime adaptations of manga.
    If they stay at the same rate they've been going on for the last 2 seasons (4 volumes/24 issues per season) they're not going to catch up until Season 10.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I think it was kind of weird to not include Glenn, but he's been overshadowed by Daryl for a while now as #1 bro.
    I think Michonne is generally in a better place than Rick, psychologically, and is extremely hopeful about the town. Rick probably didn't want to bring her down. Her putting-up-the-sword scene actually pulled off better in the show than the comics.
    Abraham and Rick aren't friends at all, they just trust eachother. I don't see him being in the inner circle at all. All the bonding times Rick and Abraham had in the comics were replaced with Daryl in the show.
    Daryl is Rick's left hand. He wouldn't do anything this big without telling him. Daryl's also shown a willingness to cross the line to survive.
    Carol seems a little sketchy because of her previous acts of violence, but bottom line: Rick trusts that she will keep herself, and by extension, the group alive, no matter the cost.

I 100% disagree with this. If anything, the seasons should be shorter. 6 would be really pushing it, but I think 10 would be perfect.

If they stay at the same rate they've been going on for the last 2 seasons (4 volumes/24 issues per season) they're not going to catch up until Season 10.
    For me I feel like a lot the story isn't being told, I am finding that questions that need to be answered are being answered on Talking Dead or not at all. Which should be answered on the show. I feel character development is lacking and there is a lot of story potential that is being overlooked to get to a certain spot at a certain time.

I for one like the concerts of post apocalypse society and I like the zombie angle and would love to see more stories that are not in the comic, which is what they could do if they are worried about catching the comic.

Amazing Member

Glenn is way too optimistic, a background lead character that has a story and the heart of the group, He's also shown in the past few episodes to be the most trusting and being the nicest one, now that Hershel and Tyreese are gone. Despite his vicious angry in his fights with Woodbury and Abraham, he's still too on board
    Andrew Lincoln said Steven Yuen has some great moments in this back half season.

Since I've only posted in this thread a few times I should preface all of this with: I freakin love this show. It has problems, and I have a few issues with it, but at the end of the day I cannot get enough.

For me I feel like a lot the story isn't being told, I am finding that questions that need to be answered are being answered on Talking Dead or not at all. Which should be answered on the show. I feel character development is lacking and there is a lot of story potential that is being overlooked
    Yea, I agree. I think they could do all of this with fewer episodes though. My problem with how long the seasons are already, is that they have too much time to fill, so it ends up feeling complacent and slow. If they would focus on the comics, while branching out a few times per season it could be perfect, just like season 1.

to get to a certain spot at a certain time.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.. A certain spot in the comics?

I for one like the concerts of post apocalypse society and I like the zombie angle and would love to see more stories that are not in the comic, which is what they could do if they are worried about catching the comic.
    I don't think they're worried about catching up, to be honest. If they ever get worried they'll probably just slow the pace of comics-per-seasons down a bit. I mean, All Out War could literally take up a whole 16 episodes, and that's only 12 issues.
    And they do branch out quite a bit from the comic. One thing I'm loving about Scott Gimple is that he's doing very good at telling the exact same story as the comic, while still making his own stamp on TWD mythology with new stories... something Glenn Mazzara was often pretty terrible at.
    The first half of Season 4 can basically be considered Vol. 7- The Calm Before, because nothing really climactic happens in either, and it leads directly into 4.6-7, which is brand new for the TV show, and then 4.8 is almost a direct replica of Vol. 8- Made to Suffer, except everything just moves a lot faster.
    4.9 is exactly like the first few issues of Vol. 9- Here We Are. After that, the show takes a drastic departure from the comic by focusing different episodes on the splintered factions of survivors. Events from Vol. 9 & 10 all occur within the back half of season 4, but in different times and places, and with different people.
    In season 5, episode 5.1 and 5.4-8 have nothing to do with the comics at all. Episodes 5.2 and 5.3 are almost exactly the same as Vol. 11- Fear The Hunters.
    In the second half so far, we've seen that the first 2 episodes weren't connected to the comics, and everything since has been very similar.
    So since Scott Gimple took the reins, really only 7 out of 29 episodes were exact replicas of the comics. Everything else was brand new material.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Not that we actually ever saw that.

Spectacular Member

Since I've only posted in this thread a few times I should preface all of this with: I freakin love this show. It has problems, and I have a few issues with it, but at the end of the day I cannot get enough.

Yea, I agree. I think they could do all of this with fewer episodes though. My problem with how long the seasons are already, is that they have too much time to fill, so it ends up feeling complacent and slow. If they would focus on the comics, while branching out a few times per season it could be perfect, just like season 1.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.. A certain spot in the comics?
    They are deleting scenes to make there time so they aren't just filling the time because they can't think of things to fill time with. They had more to tell then time allows, you just think some of what they are telling is not entertaining. For me outside of some of the deaths being lame and plot driven stupidity I have no problem with they are showing other that feeling part of the story isn't being told. I do not watch walking dead just to see zombie killing and I am not interested in a watching the equivalence of a shoot em game up tv.

They just had to be at Alexandra at the tail end of this season, and we lost out in the travel from Georgia to Virginia. Lots of opportunity for road stories skimmed over just because they were in a hurry. They wanted to be in the prison in season 3 and we losted out on road stories that would have included Carol evolution to a badass, Development of TDog, and the decline of Rick and Lori's relationship.

That's interesting about Rick and Abraham in the comics. Yeah, they're not really friends or anything on the show, but I figure if you plan an insurrection, you clue in the big gun. With Eugene crapping out, Abraham is without a mission. I figure if someone like Rick was ordering him around, Abraham would fall in line.

Quote Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
    Glenn is way too optimistic, a background lead character that has a story and the heart of the group, He's also shown in the past few episodes to be the most trusting and being the nicest one, now that Hershel and Tyreese are gone. Despite his vicious angry in his fights with Woodbury and Abraham, he's still too on board
    Andrew Lincoln said Steven Yuen has some great moments in this back half season.
    I look forward to more Glenn and some awesome Steven Yuen moments! Glenn is more optimistic, but he's still seen what he's seen, and a couple episodes ago, he was ready to shoot first and ask questions later. I suppose being in Alexandria is appealing to his brighter side, though.

Amazing Member

I look forward to more Glenn and some awesome Steven Yuen moments! Glenn is more optimistic, but he's still seen what he's seen, and a couple episodes ago, he was ready to shoot first and ask questions later. I suppose being in Alexandria is appealing to his brighter side, though.
    I'm quite worried about him, he's been hinted at dieing 3 times since Gimple tookover, whenever he does gets scenes or lines with Rick it makes all the more terrifying, partly because it was rare that he got any scenes with the main group that wasn't Herschel or Maggie, it made him less appealing as I found him much more fun by himself like the past few episodes or the first two seasons, he only had two amazing episodes in S3 but that was when he was getting the beat up by the bad guys

They had more to tell then time allows, you just think some of what they are telling is not entertaining.
    No, I like most of what they're doing actually.

First of all, I'll break down why none of your examples make sense...
    They just had to be at Alexandra at the tail end of this season, and we lost out in the travel from Georgia to Virginia. Lots of opportunity for road stories skimmed over just because they were in a hurry.
    The producers and writers apparently thought that Alexandria would make for more interesting stories than being on the road. If you're really that interested in "road stories", you should be upset that they added the Beth/hospital plotline. And moreover, if they were really trying to rush they would've arrived at Alexandria around episode 5.05.

hey wanted to be in the prison in season 3 and we losted out on road stories that would have included Carol evolution to a badass, Development of TDog, and the decline of Rick and Lori's relationship.
    Yea, I would've loved to see what went down between the farm and prison. But again.. if you're really worried about not getting enough development and "road stories" you should be upset about Season 2 stretching 3 comics into 13 episodes.

So ok fine, but I could say the same thing about the exact opposite. They just had to squeeze all of the prison/Woodbury confrontation into one season. They just had to keep the group separated for 8 episodes in Season 4. They just had to force a Beth plot into the first half of Season 5.
    My entire point of listing all the comic-to-show changes was to illustrate that time isn't the problem. They're gonna follow the comics and splinter off on occasion, regardless of time constraints. I think, with a smaller amount of episodes per season, we could see cool stories like TS-19 and the Vatos. In the latest seasons it seems like they have so many episodes to fill that they have to stretch something that can be told in a few episodes to 5 episodes storylines. Like I said earlier.. only 7 out of 29 episodes followed the comics. What makes you think that ratio would change drastically if there were fewer episodes?