Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Redacted.....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    That actually worked at first but we are no longer seeing anything from Rick's eyes - I think the vision of the TV show changed - sometimes what works in the comics - Rick's story - when translated to the screen - be it because of the actors or the script writers - we get other perspectives that appeal to us more. In the comic book Rick's loss of sanity was heart breaking - in the TV show it was translated poorly. Really bad job of it in fact to the point people rather watch Carol and Daryl (kind of rhymes). In fact having Rick hug badass Carol after he kicked her out of the group makes me wonder how are the writers making Rick the leader and hero in this when Carol is clearly a better end times leader. Rick only seems to do be a bad ass after he gets everyone in trouble with his poor leadership style. This is the same Rick that stated the group was a democracy and all voted on decisions to unilaterally kicking out a valuable member of the group - if I was in the group Rick was in charge of I would have been upset and offended he kicked out Carol and refused to follow his logic or decision.

That is how bad the TV show Rick has been shown vs the heroic and tragic and smart Rick from the comic book. The show even chickened out of showing Carl's slowly becoming a sociopath because of the world they live in.

Its the same rick that kills two guy in terminus then when the other dudes were going to brain bash them he says "no let them turn" Now where is the logic here? Let them turn to bite other people possibly someone in his group? Havent we seen this as a mistake before? That makes no sense. Leaving people to turn is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Its the same rick that kills two guy in terminus then when the other dudes were going to brain bash them he says "no let them turn" Now where is the logic here? Let them turn to bite other people possibly someone in his group? Havent we seen this as a mistake before? That makes no sense. Leaving people to turn is not a good idea.
    I will defend that part in this case - leaving the enemy to turn inside the enemy's camp makes sense - but the writers did not convey that as the reason Rick did that - they made it seem like a punishment by Rick as if to say Rick is so disgusted with them he wants the ultimate punishment on them so they can turn. That part is stupid. If they are dead already how is allowing them to be turned a punishment? And it is another case of Rick contradicting himself episode to episode. Remember in the first few episodes in that camp outside of Atlanta? One of the group got bit and Rick refused to let the group kill him and allowed him to turn. And I recall Rick allowed that Irish woman to turn as well.

Also, Rick wanting to go back and kill all the cannibals - how is that a sane decision? Does Rick know how many there are? He only had a duffel bag worth of weapons and what he got off the dead in the firefights. Does he have unlimited ammo for these weapons? Apparently yes judging from the firefights.

I seriously think the shows writers just write stuff and don't think it through. Rick maybe the star of the show but the writers of the TV show do a poor job of portraying why he is a revered leader when he makes piss poor decisions like that.

I analyze the actions based on how I would react in the same survival situation and I am not an outdoorsman nor a survivalist. If in an apocalypse I saw a sign that said "sanctuary" I would go but I would stake out the place - observe it from a distance - at least.

Again, I blame the TV writers and not Kirkman.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 10-16-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

Also, Rick wanting to go back and kill all the cannibals - how is that a sane decision? Does Rick know how many there are? He only had a duffel bag worth of weapons and what he got off the dead in the firefights. Does he have unlimited ammo for these weapons? Apparently yes judging from the firefights.

I seriously think the shows writers just write stuff and don't think it through. Rick maybe the star of the show but the writers of the TV show do a poor job of portraying why he is a revered leader when he makes piss poor decisions like that.
    In fairness, there is something to be said for confirming the kill. The group didn't do that with the Gov, and look what it cost them. And I'd bet ten bucks that it will come back to haunt them. I was just disappointed about how easily Rick was talked out of it.

And agreed about the writers. They'd rather the cast chew the scenery like zombies chew flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Emotion sometimes overrules logic.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Letting them turn serves two tactical purposes.

1. They could potentially take out enemy termites who aren't expecting Walkers inside the slaughter area.

2. It denies them the use of the bodies as meat. Termites might be willing to eat their own once they die but they probably won't eat Walkers no matter how fresh.

Fantastic Member

I saw Rick leaving the dead to turn as a tactical, rational move. I don't see how no one else didn't see what that was.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Yeah, considering the intel he had at the time, leaving them to turn made a lot of tactical sense. Termites wouldn't be expecting it, limit their food, etc. It's a booby trap and an attrition tactic in one go. I also totally understand wanting to go back and finish them. Beyond just the obvious desire for revenge, look what just happened to them by leaving the governor to come back and bite them. How much more obvious could they be?

Who wants to watch a a show with perfect characters? Not me.

Currently MagSeven

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    I saw Rick leaving the dead to turn as a tactical, rational move. I don't see how no one else didn't see what that was.
    I just saw it as a dick move on Rick's part to spite them. Like they didn't deserve the dignity of dying without turning.

BANNED

i've said it before, i don't understand why people made rick the leader. the writers can do whatever they want to make it seem that he should be the choice, but they haven't made a believer out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, there is something to be said for confirming the kill. The group didn't do that with the Gov, and look what it cost them. And I'd bet ten bucks that it will come back to haunt them. I was just disappointed about how easily Rick was talked out of it.

And agreed about the writers. They'd rather the cast chew the scenery like zombies chew flesh.

Most of my comments reflect the poor stage crafting of the scene. I am all for Rick suggesting they go back and kill them all - but he had no weapons on hand. So it makes Rick look stupid or crazy when he says it if you think too much of it. A better writer would add a line to flesh out the thought like "there can only be a dozen of them left and they are low on ammo" as exposition. But all I see is a duffel bag with some weapons and just a few magazines for the rifles. As they were running out of Terminus if they picked up another duffel bag of ammo from a storage room then we have a logical follow through for what Rick stated.

At least that is how I feel about it. Again, I only think like this because The Walking Dead is going for "realism" (apart from the zombies) while a show like Arrow and the Flash which I love to death allow me to suspend disbelief and also to have so much fun watching that I don't notice or care for such failings.

Also, "Gotham" is going for realism as well and that makes me judge it along the same lines as I do Walking Dead.

And finally there is "Z Nation" which because it is aiming for a low brow actually pulls off a good balance between zombies and campy fun which again allows me to be less critical than the ultra serious Walking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Who wants to watch a a show with perfect characters? Not me.
    There is a difference between imperfect and making mistakes - like Breaking Bad - and then there are things that are just written for the characters to do that pulls the plot along - if the scene needs the hero to fall into a trap a baby could see coming so the plot can move along then so be it. Also, you can't have the leader be so bad at being a leader and have others who seem to be badasses like Carol seem willing to follow a fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i've said it before, i don't understand why people made rick the leader. the writers can do whatever they want to make it seem that he should be the choice, but they haven't made a believer out of me.
    You know why Rick is a leader in the comic book - the TV show fails to carry this over. It is like wrestling - the heel or the star need to sell themselves to the audience as such.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 10-16-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    I just saw it as a dick move on Rick's part to spite them. Like they didn't deserve the dignity of dying without turning.
    That is exactly what that was - again - letting them turn would be great strategy - but that thought did not cross Rick's head - he wanted to be an asshole to the cannibals. If Rick stated - let him be a walker grenade at that moment I would have cheered a true leader and strategist!!!!

Yet, in other episodes, like the one with the Irish woman Rick could not kill someone who was about to turn or with that survivor from the Atlanta camp who Rick left on the side of the road and would not let anyone kill after he was bit. Inconsistency is TV show's Rick's constant.