Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Currently MagSeven

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    That is exactly what that was - again - letting them turn would be great strategy - but that thought did not cross Rick's head - he wanted to be an asshole to the cannibals. If Rick stated - let him be a walker grenade at that moment I would have cheered a true leader and strategist!!!!

Yet, in other episodes, like the one with the Irish woman Rick could not kill someone who was about to turn or with that survivor from the Atlanta camp who Rick left on the side of the road and would not let anyone kill after he was bit. Inconsistency is TV show's Rick's constant.
    Well yes it's inconsistent to let some turn and not others, but it's also entirely dependent upon the situation he's in at the time. For instance Jim, who was left on the side of the road wanted to turn so Rick let him. Crazy forest lady also wanted to turn so Rick let her. He's been consistent in honoring the wishes of the dying.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

That is exactly what that was - again - letting them turn would be great strategy - but that thought did not cross Rick's head - he wanted to be an asshole to the cannibals. If Rick stated - let him be a walker grenade at that moment I would have cheered a true leader and strategist!!!!
    He didn't explicitly state it because he didn't need to. It was blatantly obvious, and stating it would have been unnecessarily heavy-handed and cheesy.

Yet, in other episodes, like the one with the Irish woman Rick could not kill someone who was about to turn or with that survivor from the Atlanta camp who Rick left on the side of the road and would not let anyone kill after he was bit. Inconsistency is TV show's Rick's constant.
    Or he's not constant at all and is instead going on a journey comprised of losing his humanity, getting it back, struggling with the needed brutality to survive, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Well yes it's inconsistent to let some turn and not others, but it's also entirely dependent upon the situation he's in at the time. For instance Jim, who was left on the side of the road wanted to turn so Rick let him. Crazy forest lady also wanted to turn so Rick let her. He's been consistent in honoring the wishes of the dying.
    That is a good point. Stupid to let her turn and be a threat - but he did honor her wish. Again, I love the idea of zombie grenade - I loved it last season when that happened to the "Claimed" gang by Rick. More stuff like that please.

Currently MagSeven

That is a good point. Stupid to let her turn and be a threat - but he did honor her wish. Again, I love the idea of zombie grenade - I loved it last season when that happened to the "Claimed" gang by Rick. More stuff like that please.
    Yeah. That Claimed gang bit was pretty awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i've said it before, i don't understand why people made rick the leader. the writers can do whatever they want to make it seem that he should be the choice, but they haven't made a believer out of me.
    Well had they had Shane instead about half the cast would be dead. If the plot line stay the same

Hershel would have been left at the farm to die while shooting walkers

Carl would have died from his gun shot wound(nothing to do with leadership skills)

Michone- it could be argued that Shane would have given her to the governor

Glen- Without Hershel he would have died from sickness

Sasha- Without Hershel she would have died from sickness

Tyresee- A stretch but if Sasha died he would have been taking care of bodies with Maggie. Hence He would have gotten kidnapped by the governor and his head chopped off(like in the comics)

Given if the direction of the characters remained the same 2 of Rick leadership decision make sure 4 of the current cast survive. The decision to save Hershel and the decision not to given Michone to the governor.

Also, you can't have the leader be so bad at being a leader and have others who seem to be badasses like Carol seem willing to follow a fuck up.
    Quick question -

Who made the call that put Carol in a position to save the rest of the group?

Once you think about the answer to that question, you have a potential reason why Carol would follow the person who made that call.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Quick question -

Once you think about the answer to that question, you have a potential reason why Carol would follow the person who made that call.
    Rick kicked her out at a time when manpower was down. He did not leave her behind so she can serve as a reserve. Look, I am a fanboy like everyone else. I am not even jaded but come on trying to justify what Rick did as some brilliant stroke of leadership is nuts - if anything Rick is like Agent Maxwell Smart from the comedy "Get Smart" where his bumbling somehow saves him at the end against KAOS. This is not the actor's fault - it is the writers fault.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 10-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quick question -

Err, luck is not a demonstration of leadership. Rick had no idea Carol was out there, and it was sheer luck that he and the rest of his group weren't killed.

It does not have to be a brilliant tactical call to be a reason why Carol would follow Rick.

It put her in a position where she could try to look out for the children. It put her in a position where she could save the group. The tactical sense has nothing to do with why those chances would lead to Carol following Rick.

Ultimate Member

It does not have to be a brilliant tactical call to be a reason why Carol would follow Rick.

It put her in a position where she could try to look out for the children. It put her in a position where she could save the group. The tactical sense has nothing to do with why those chances would lead to Carol following Rick.
    Yeah, it put her in the perfect position to save their bacon...after they were driven from the safety of their home.

Carol's actions in saving the group in no way reflect, negative or positive, on Rick's leadership. It was luck that led her to the kids and Tyreese. It was luck that they happened to come upon a Termunis guy just as he was cackling evilly. And it was luck that the place had a horde of zombies approaching and an unprotected gas tank.

Unless Rick can see the future...they just got lucky. And that happens to bad leaders as much as it does to good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    Well had they had Shane instead about half the cast would be dead. If the plot line stay the same

Hershel would have been left at the farm to die while shooting walkers

Carl would have died from his gun shot wound(nothing to do with leadership skills)

Michone- it could be argued that Shane would have given her to the governor

Glen- Without Hershel he would have died from sickness

Sasha- Without Hershel she would have died from sickness

Tyresee- A stretch but if Sasha died he would have been taking care of bodies with Maggie. Hence He would have gotten kidnapped by the governor and his head chopped off(like in the comics)

Given if the direction of the characters remained the same 2 of Rick leadership decision make sure 4 of the current cast survive. The decision to save Hershel and the decision not to given Michone to the governor.
    don't know why you brought up shane, but whatever.

none of the things mentioned required the leadership skills.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    don't know why you brought up shane, but whatever.

none of the things mentioned required the leadership skills.
    Deciding to bond with Hershel and deeming him valuable enough to save is a leadership skill.

Making the tough call on not given Michonne over to the Governor was a leadership skill as he assessed his opponent and decided in the end that the Governor was bargaining in bad faith

Knowing your enemies and and making allies and knowing value of your allies are leadership skills. I brought up Shane because he was the leader before Rick and was the obvious choice to compare Rick too.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Very cool... at least a tribute to her if not her!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    Deciding to bond with Hershel and deeming him valuable enough to save is a leadership skill.

Making the tough call on not given Michonne over to the Governor was a leadership skill as he assessed his opponent and decided in the end that the Governor was bargaining in bad faith

Knowing your enemies and and making allies and knowing value of your allies are leadership skills. I brought up Shane because he was the leader before Rick and was the obvious choice to compare Rick too.
    i'm sorry, bonding with a stranger who has some medical training isn't leadership skills, that's just common sense. the decision on Michonne isn't something exclusive to Rick, others wouldn't have even entertained the idea in the first place.

I'm in agreement with Rick's original sentiment of "Let's go back and kill 'em all!" Remove a threat to prevent further occurrences from said threat. However, the situation is too difficult to carry through. Aside from the herd (which is enough reason x10), the compound is too big to be certain you've blocked all egress, and too difficult to clear safely, as it looked like several buildings the size of the prison.

I mean, we all know we're going to see that wounded leader again, don't we?
    I know there was something else here before, but I forgot what it was. Must not have been important.