Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Batman Eternal, #5

"Batman Eternal" #5 has James Tynion IV and company up the ante as a mystery flu bug starts sweeping through Gotham, but it's the arrival of Andy Clarke on the art that makes you want to cheer.

Full review here.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Really great issue, the story and the characters were stellar. The only issue was the weird facial art. Most of the time, everything looked fine but then a few panels were... Really, really strange looking. Especially Vale's face.

Solid 4/5 issue.

BANNED

I'm guessing that this mysterious illness that Tim is investigating is the beginning of the plague that was mentioned in the flash forward issue of Batman that came out a few months ago and has caused the implementation of a curfew in future Gotham.

It will be interesting to see how this plot develops.

Spectacular Member

I have no complaints with this series so far...and this issue was terrific. It had great art (always loved Clarke on REBELS), and loved that it brought Vickie Vale into the story. I'm a little confused by the nano-swarm/cloud.

Since, a lot of us have been happy about a better depiction of Tim I felt like mentioning that Clarke's art was the best I've seen Tim's "feathers" look yet. It was more like a cape, and I had to go back to make sure it was the same outfit. The reviewer is right, this has been giving us exactly what we need from a weekly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    The reviewer is right, this has been giving us exactly what we need from a weekly.
    I see it less as a weekly than I do a very well planned long crossover. The first three issues set up the event, but the next two are setting up the secondary stories that will play into it: Barbara and Tim. Kate's getting the spotlight in the next issue. That's kind of the way "Blight" ended up, and it was very good reading that kept you interested throughout.

Either way: this is one book that takes the world of the Bats and puts every character into perspective around it in a way that makes you feel it's all connected. I hope DC really does the same with the Earth 2 weekly, because if 2 out of 3 are this good, it will encourage more weekly series dealing with parts of the DCU that need it — like a Legion Of Super-Heroes series that rebuilds the franchise from Superboy meeting the core team onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    I'm guessing that this mysterious illness that Tim is investigating is the beginning of the plague that was mentioned in the flash forward issue of Batman that came out a few months ago and has caused the implementation of a curfew in future Gotham.

It will be interesting to see how this plot develops.
    I forgot about that until you mentioned it.