Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Is DC trying to dominate our televisions?

Do you guys think DC is trying to gain a stronger presence by making more television programs? They have the Arrow and the Flash on the CW. Gotham on Fox and Constantine on NBC. Marvel and their Avengers program has DC beat when it comes to the silver screen. While DC is playing catch up with film, it looks like they're trying to dominate television. I think that's important because while television may not be as prestigious as film, it is equally if not more pervasive in American pop culture. That means millions of possible fans willing to buy related merchandise.

I wonder if DC is considering the same thing with video games. They have the successful Batman Arkham series which is considered the best superhero game ever and a great game in it's own right. Granted, that's just one series and thus not a trend of them releasing several great superhero games, but it's encouraging.

I think DC is trying to increase it's TV presence. Agents of Shield is a good show tied directly to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). As you stated, Marvel is light years ahead on the silver screen and I don't think DC will be able to catch, Marvel is just too far ahead. I've not watched Arrow, not really that interested in Flash, and have no interest in Constantine. I've never been a Green Arrow fan in the first place but tried to give the show a shot, just couldn't get into it. Arrow and Flash being connected makes sense, but for these shows to have no connection to the DC Cinematic Universe puzzles me. They don't need to be connected to be successful, I supposed that's just a preference of mine. I'll certainly check out the movies when they come out. I do watch Gotham, which is enjoyable. I'm also excited about the rumored Titans and Supergirl TV shows. The Titans roster could be interesting as could their list of antagonists. It will be interesting if Slade shows up there since he is on Arrow. Same goes for Roy Harper. It will be interesting, to say the least.

As for video games, you have to look at it from 2 perspectives. DC Online is good, fun to play, has a decent story, but is an MMO, not everyone cup of tea. It's also free to play with in game purchases. It's entirely possible to play the game without buying a thing. DC has another one of these games out there, Infinit Crisis, that's also free to play. I haven't played this so I don't know how good it is or isn't. On the console, the Arkham games are wildly popular and successful, but outside of that, DC hasn't been that successful. Lego Batman 1 and 2 are ok games and pretty fun to play with Lego Batman 3 coming out soon. But the trend there is Batman centric. What they need is a game like X-Men Legends from way back, or more recently, Marvel's Ultimate Alliance. Those games had great storytelling and excellent game play, although Ultimate Alliance 2 wasn't as good as the first one.

It's actually smart of DC not to link everything.

Just imagine the difficulties of synchronizing shows over 3 (5 if both Titans and Supergirl make the cut) different networks. Add in the movies and it could easily become unworkable. Just imagine what would have happened to Agents of Shield if Marvel had changed the release on Winter Soldier, and that's just one show.

DC's approach of having the Arrrowverse on the CW, a separate movie universe, and other TV shows in their own universes has the advantage of flexibility.

Another thing to consider is that DC doesn't have to do their movie build-up the way Marvel did because the characters need less of an introduction. Everyone already knows who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are. They may not know all the details, but the characters already have enough mindshare.

It's a different situation, so they don't have to follow the Marvel template. In the end, it's all going to depend on execution, not the template.

I think it's smart. Despite it's arguable quality, Smallville was in the air for ten seasons, sedmenting a DC presence where Marvel had none. I like Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, but Arrow regularly kicks its ass in terms of quality. Gotham is another amazing show. Haven't watched the Flash nor Constantine yet, but what I've seen of the trailers show it to be of similar quality to the other two shows (which, unfortunaately, is never a guarantee of success). It just have to find it's own target audience, which will not necesaarily be the saame as Arrow and Gotham. So, while Marvel rules the silver screen (though I also greatly enjoyed the Batman trilogy and Man of Steel), having taken off first (as a concentrated effort, rather than occasional aimless products) and enjoyed more hits than DC, DC has been steadily dominating other markets such as TV, cartoons and games, making the playing field quite level. I LOVE the Marvel shared movieverse, however, it should be noted that just as DC had Jonah Hex and Green Lantern (which I don't dislike as much as other do), Marvel aso had it's share of duds, such as Hulk (the first one) and Spirits of Vengeance (insisting on the miscasting of Nicholas Cage as Johnny Blaze). Point is, regardless of its quality or lack of it, Marvel is better at hyping its products and successes than DC. IMHO, it always has been.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    ...because while television may not be as prestigious as film...
    This is a point that is fast changing. The movie industry is actually starting to fall behind television both in financial gain and quality, because people would rather stay at home watching a box in their own living room than going out to a cinema. In last few years, television has made a massive leap in quality that definitely rivals the quality of movies coming out. Just look at True Detective which had two hollywood stars in the leads, and for season two has cast even more.

DC is definitely trying to dominate TV, as it's an area Marvel has largely overlooked, and I don't see it as a bad thing. DC can easily match Marvel's movies just with all it's TV shows alone, providing they're successful of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    This is a point that is fast changing. The movie industry is actually starting to fall behind television both in financial gain and quality, because people would rather stay at home watching a box in their own living room than going out to a cinema. In last few years, television has made a massive leap in quality that definitely rivals the quality of movies coming out. Just look at True Detective which had two hollywood stars in the leads, and for season two has cast even more.

DC is definitely trying to dominate TV, as it's an area Marvel has largely overlooked, and I don't see it as a bad thing. DC can easily match Marvel's movies just with all it's TV shows alone, providing they're successful of course.
    Things like Breaking Bad have really taken the medium from sitcoms to a place where large, overarching stories.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I think it's a smart move because they are doing it with secondary characters (Arrow, Flash, Constantine, Gotham, Supergirl, Titans) that could never carry their own movie, so why not use them to have a robust TV presence and get the DCU out there. It also builds momentum for the movie-verse as more and more people get exposed to DC comic book characters. As for Marvel being ahead of DC on the big screen - undeniably they are, but DC hasn't even shown up for the fight yet, and DC has the ultimate trump card in Batman who is probably the most popular fictional character there is. Batman v Superman will be absolutely huge, and if done well will put DC on equal footing in movies immediately

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Hopefully.

WB has a huge number of interesting properties and it would be nice to see them in live action. We are guaranteed a Batman film every 4-5 years and the occasional Superman/ruined Vertigo project. Let's get some more superhero names out there.

Also, and I know this sounds weird, but there is more emphasis on making a TV show better. Movies can be one and done, it's made and then the public decide. If it flops, no sequel. TV shows have to continue to grab ratings, week in week out, to ensure their survival. This forces a certain level of quality or a show dies.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mighty Member

DC isn't necessarily trying to dominate TV. What they are doing is trying to get their brand out there. They know that their cinematic universe won't really get started until 2016. So they have no chance of catching up with Marvel until aftewards. Meanwhile it is much easier/quicker to get their brand out there through the small screen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post

Actually, a lot of famous celebrities are making the switch from movies to TV. Look at Don Cheadle in House of Lies, Kevin Spacey in House of Cards, Beau Bridges in Masters of Sex, etc. These people are not nobodies. These are Oscar- and Emmy-winnners. So, I think people are right when they say TV is rising.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    It's actually smart of DC not to link everything.

Just imagine the difficulties of synchronizing shows over 3 (5 if both Titans and Supergirl make the cut) different networks. Add in the movies and it could easily become unworkable. Just imagine what would have happened to Agents of Shield if Marvel had changed the release on Winter Soldier, and that's just one show.

DC's approach of having the Arrrowverse on the CW, a separate movie universe, and other TV shows in their own universes has the advantage of flexibility.

Another thing to consider is that DC doesn't have to do their movie build-up the way Marvel did because the characters need less of an introduction. Everyone already knows who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are. They may not know all the details, but the characters already have enough mindshare.

It's a different situation, so they don't have to follow the Marvel template. In the end, it's all going to depend on execution, not the template.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

as much as I would love a shared movie universe, I agree that it would be far too problematic over multiple networks and such. Seriously though, I really just wish we could get a real Batman show, and again I realize why this isn't happening but come on- he's the biggest character in comics with the richest rogues gallery, if done even moderately well you could easily have 6-10 seasons

but I digress. I love DC's tv initiative even without being shared universes. It's what got me to really delve into Green Arrow, I am super excited for the Flash, Gotham is good so far, Constantine looks like it could be a fun, different sort of show, and if Titans gets through I will probably let loose an actual, real live 'squee'. This is a great way to get their brands out there, and see alternate takes on characters I love from my favorite comic company. And in all honesty, yea, I'm one of those people that actually tends to like TV more than movies. Not that I dislike movies, I love them, but TV is much more of a presence, you can talk about it for longer, get more of a consistent following, etc. It's a more fun atmosphere, imo
    Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs- heirs of God and co heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory

I, for one, welcome our new television overlords.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

I could only hope DC dominate our TV's, I love arrow and Gotham is amazing from what I have seen The Flash is going to be just as good and Smallville was great. Marvel make great movies but DC makes great television and personally I also feel like it's needed, I like allot of shows ATM but after a while they are become a bit repetitive.
    Straight Shot Mob

They gotta beat Marvel to punch in some area. Since they failed in films, TV is obviously the next step. And DC characters have a long, successful history on TV, so it makes sense. As long as a few of the shows connect (we've heard that Titans may potentially be in the same universe as Arrow and Flash) we still have that MCU feel to it, which raises incentive for watchers of one program to check out all associated ones. And Marvel will be on their ass soon enough, with Agent Carter and the Netflix series coming soon. They need to get Hulu to produce something for them, though at this point, I'm not sure what else they have between all the shows and films announced. Its nice to know they've finally run the gamut with their pantheon of great heroes and villians. Let's hope the quality is there in the final products.