Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark will be Asian American in Bombshells United

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-...or-its-future/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark will be Asian American in Bombshells United

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-...or-its-future/
    That's great!
    The elseworld type stories certainly allow for it and should take advantage for reinvention.

Any Latinas in that Bombshell lineup?
    NO? Not surprised!

One of the more moving stories I heard about Japanese Americans rounded up in internment camps , was George Takei describing how after being released from the prison camp was like going out into a whole other prison, although without barbed wire, but where they were shunned by society, called japs and ended up on skid row.

Where he and his family eventually found a home and acceptance was in a Mexican-American neighborhood in Los Angeles.

we moved into the all Mexican-American neighborhood of Los Angeles ― the only Asian-American family, much less the only Japanese-American family among Mexican-Americans. And they embraced us. They welcomed us. Our neighbor, Mrs. Gonzales, and my mother became very good friends. My mother learned how to cook Mexican, and she was the best tacos and enchiladas cook in all of East L.A., as far as I’m concerned.

I walked home from school with my Mexican-American friends, and sometimes they would invite me into their mother’s kitchen, and I’d be greeted with the warm scent of fresh tortillas that she had made. And she’d take a ladle of frijoles, beans, and spread it on the tortilla and roll it up, and we’d have our after-school snack.

I still remember the warmth of my years in east L.A. in the Mexican-American neighborhood, the fathers would end the evening after coming home from work, bring out the guitar, and play Mexican canciones, ...I love the Mexican-American Culture.

Q: They must have been empathetic to the immigrant experience...

Yes they were.
    He said "― it’s that America that gives him hope."

Somewhat powerfully reflective of the theme of this thread.
    It'd be nice if something of this era and sentiment was reflected in those stories.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-28-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Small curiosity some here might appreciate, ^ original concept art for El Dorado.
    He had a more feline Jaguar theme.
    It's actually not a bad approach, with some reinvention done right maybe with Jaguar claws, he could have been more a Wolverine, Black Panther type of Mesoamerica, which would have been great!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-28-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Simon Baz. His ancestry is from West Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    While they've explored it with a few black male heroes, and some female characters, I think DC has yet to create or even entertain the idea of a strong Adult Male Asian or Latino lead, who can stand shoulder to shoulder with their JL.

Does it just not seem possible to them?
    Even in the wake of an all new universe. It's still non existent.

Anyone with potential for even a role in the slate of upcoming tv or movies?
    Or does this idea/possibility just not exist ?
    Posted 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Someone pleas point them out!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-20-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Umm.... the actor who plays Beast Boy on "Titans" is half Japanese...?? (although I guess he's not exactly a "strong adult") And Beebo was probably made in China....?

(but yes, you raise a good point)

Ultimate Member

Posted 5 years ago.

The two above DC Super Hero GIrl's Zantana-I think they are Greg Pak's Dou from the Milestone Universe. I am not sure if that is Xombi or a new Milestone guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post

Quote Originally Posted by from the Milestone panel

Seems Milestone alum John Rozum isn’t happy and Ivan Velez Jr is already assuming the same treatment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psql4sndho.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psct5bgjzx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Dou from the Milestone Universe. I am not sure if that is Xombi or a new Milestone guy.
    Could be Duo (see close-up bellow), reinvention of Rozum's Xombi(David Kim), changed by New Milestone's 2.0 so they don't have to pay (share their proceeds with) or consult Rozum.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-20-2020 at 01:16 PM.

!

Anyone DC actually created, owns? Who they actually champion as a permanent part of their main universe.?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And Beebo was probably made in China....?

(but yes, you raise a good point)

Are you talking about this thing? WTF is it? LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-20-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Ultimate Member

Small curiosity some here might appreciate, ^ original concept art for El Dorado.
    He had a more feline Jaguar theme.
    It's actually not a bad approach, with some reinvention done right maybe with Jaguar claws, he could have been more a Wolverine, Black Panther type of Mesoamerica, which would have been great!
    Tying him into Tezcatlipica, 'the Smoking Mirror,' a god associated with jaguars and the night, could give him some thematic abilities similar to what he's already shown (teleportation, invisibility) as he steps through smoke or reflections, or fades into smoke (or turns out to be 'a reflection' and just an illusion, while the real self is invisible nearby, setting up for a surprise attack).

Bonus, Tezcatlipoca is darn near the last Mesoamerican god that would get chosen for a superheroic legacy, occupying a sort of Loki / Set 'god of jerks' niche. It's usually 'good guys' like Quetzalcoutl, or somewhat less sketchy guys like Huitzilopochtli. (sp?)

Are you talking about this thing? WTF is it? LOL!
    You are correct, sir! That's Beebo - a children's toy from "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" show. It's literally just a talking toy, but it ended up playing a big part in some episodes. (kindof a recurring joke)

Posted 5 years ago.

DC and pop culture in general has a huge lack of adult male Latino and Asian characters. If a Latino or Asian character is included in an ensemble cast, 9 times out of 10 it’s a female used for eye candy or a subservient kid. The stereotypes of the sexy mysterious Asian woman who knows martial arts (the Dragon Lady trope) or the spicy Latina who is a no nonsense fighter. Maybe comics and Hollywood just don’t think that mainstream audiences will accept a Latino or Asian male lead.

When Rogue One came out I recall talking to my tattoo artist (who happens to be Asian) about how much we loved it. Both of us couldn’t believe that there was a Latino male lead and multiple Asian male characters. Neither of us could remember ever seeing anything like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    When Rogue One came out I recall talking to my tattoo artist (who happens to be Asian) about how much we loved it. Both of us couldn’t believe that there was a Latino male lead and multiple Asian male characters. Neither of us could remember ever seeing anything like that before.
    I have no knowledge of this, but my cynical brain thinks that since the main character was a woman, they didn't want to either a)have a white male lead there who could potentially overshadow her (implying that men of color would be seen as less threatening to her agency) and b)That they wouldn't have to "neuter" a white male lead for the female lead's sake.

Again, I don't want to think that this was their thinking, and I have no way of knowing that it is, but ... yeah, part of me does feel like it might be the case - even if it was subconscious.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have no knowledge of this, but my cynical brain thinks that since the main character was a woman, they didn't want to either a)have a white male lead there who could potentially overshadow her (implying that men of color would be seen as less threatening to her agency) and b)That they wouldn't have to "neuter" a white male lead for the female lead's sake.

Again, I don't want to think that this was their thinking, and I have no way of knowing that it is, but ... yeah, part of me does feel like it might be the case - even if it was subconscious.

Rogue One' prequel series Cassian Andor Series is still coming out and the main lead in that series is Diego Luna.
    Then there is this recent news.
    Disney+'s Star Wars Rogue One Spinoff Adds Adria Arjona as Diego Luna's Co-Star
    https://www.cbr.com/disneys-star-war...na-diego-luna/

Adria Arjona will be of course in the upcoming sony marvel film morbius.

Updated cast list.
    Untitled Star Wars/Cassian Andor Series
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9253284/fullcredits
    Last edited by mace11; 08-20-2020 at 09:03 PM.

And of course The Mandalorian stars a Chilean-American actor, Pedro Pascal...