Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    What was the reason if it wasn't sales?
    You're gonna bust into laughter, but it was to avoid "redundance" (in the bat line) with the Batwoman book that was supposed to come out right after Infinite Crisis.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

^ This

Batwoman debuted in the 2006 52 series right after Infinite Crisis. Cassandra had a role in the lead up to Infinite Crisis with OMAC and Checkmate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    ^ This

Batwoman debuted in the 2006 52 series right after Infinite Crisis. Cassandra had a role in the lead up to Infinite Crisis with OMAC and Checkmate though.
    Thing is that at the time Didio was all "only one version of each character", "iconic", etc. The info about Cass book being canceled due to Batwoman came from Cass' colorist at the time. Similar stuff happened across the line really, speedsters were faded out from Flash, Green Lanterns were removed from Earth and so on.

Of course, now that we know that Batwoman's book only debuted in 2011, and the Batline has thrived in redundancy for so long.... It's sorta funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator JP View Post
    westerners always don't know the differences between japanese and chinese, it's amusing lol
    It's not like the Japanese get everything right...

But yeah, as pointed out, some also might not know the differences between Brazil, Argentina and Mexico either, or anything in between for that matter.
    It might be allot to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    About latinas, I have no idea. Fire was heavily featured and one of the lead characters ion Giffen's JL, but she's not "exactly'" latina as americans use to categorize. (Meaning that she's not hispanic or comes from a hispanic country).
    I think here like Mr. Sunspot DaCosta too, they would just qualify her as Latina, to the horror of many Brazilians. LOL!

I'm just glad if they try.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-14-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Thing is that at the time Didio was all "only one version of each character", "iconic", etc. The info about Cass book being canceled due to Batwoman came from Cass' colorist at the time. Similar stuff happened across the line really, speedsters were faded out from Flash, Green Lanterns were removed from Earth and so on.

Of course, now that we know that Batwoman's book only debuted in 2011, and the Batline has thrived in redundancy for so long.... It's sorta funny.
    You're gonna bust into laughter, but it was to avoid "redundance" (in the bat line) with the Batwoman book that was supposed to come out right after Infinite Crisis.
    I can see the idea behind making a simpler line. Not saying that the book should have been cancelled or that DC lives up to this since they seems to care mostly on Superman, Green Lantern, Batman and the Justice League who has all multiple titles. However the idea less is more is nothing new or problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    It's not like the Japanese get everything right...

But yeah, as pointed out, some also might not know the differences between Brazil, Argentina and Mexico either, or anything in between for that matter.
    It might be allot to ask.
    If you don't know enough about a certain subject you do research.

Quote Originally Posted by True Herald View Post
    DC already has a character named Prism.

Attachment 12982

I advocate her fighting to improve the standing of the name, rather than giving it up. Doing that fits with her stubborn nature.
    Yes, I'm aware of this character that had about two appearences in the old DCU. Even so, I suggested Dr. Prism, which would make Kimyo stand out anyway.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of this character that had about two appearences in the old DCU. Even so, I suggested Dr. Prism, which would make Kimyo stand out anyway.
    If standing out because of her name is the goal, taking a name that no one else (not even a character that has only 3 appearances) has at all would make her stand out much more.

BANNED

Characters from India:

Chimera

Team_Titans_Annual_1.jpg

Aruna

Batgirl_Annual_1.jpg

What about Lorena Marquez? Aquagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    If you don't know enough about a certain subject you do research.
    Yeah I wasn't excusing it, just recognizing it, as indicated they also gave Argentinian Gaucho; Mariachi pants and jacket http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...Gaucho_001.jpg
    Once you cross that border to sum it just becomes one big indistinguishable blur. LOL!
    These things happen. (It goes both ways though, the first Mr. Unknown costume may reference something from the original Batman manga, ore something else I don't know?), but they did give his legacy the new Mr. Unknown a new costume which is a total nod to the Japanese roots and their masked hero genre.

LoL @ I get to use 2 outrageous Battle Fever J. gifs in this thread.

I'm just glad they try, and I really like both Mr. Unknown & El Gaucho!
    I'd love it if in line with this thread they one day got a team-Up!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-14-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    That's right -- the idea was that about 100 issues after Kyle received a power ring, it was suddenly "retconned in" that his long-lost father was not an Irish-American named "Rayner," but instead a man of obvious Mexican heritage, with "Rayner" having simply been a cover identity for him at one time. Kyle himself had spent the first twenty-odd years of his life thinking his heritage was very, very Irish. So he sure wasn't supposed to have grown up thinking of himself as being part of a "Mexican-American" or "Hispanic" or "Latino" subculture. Writer Judd Winick apparently thought it would be a peachy keen idea to make Kyle part-Hispanic all of a sudden, but as far as I know, practically everybody else who's written any later stories about Kyle Rayner has basically just shrugged and ignored that little detail.

This reminds me of a point I was researching a few weeks ago. (I asked for help on this forum.) My basic question was: "I've heard that Kendra Saunders, the Hawkgirl in the JSA comics of the 2000s, was revealed to be part-Hispanic on her mother's side at some point. Just when did that first get mentioned for the record?" The answer turned out to be: Almost three years after her debut appearance, it was casually mentioned in one line of dialogue in "Hawkman #1" that Kendra's mom (Trina Saunders) had been a "beautiful Hispanic woman." Until then, nobody had any solid reason to think the new Hawkgirl wasn't just another dark-haired girl with an Anglo-Saxon-sounding name and a spiffy costume! (Which raises the question of whether the Hispanic heritage was part of the official game plan for that character from day one, or just a belated retcon in the name of diversity?)
    Kendra had very dark skin from the very beginning, much darker skin than they give any white people. I always knew she was Latina. It's difficult for me to believe that people didn't know that.

Isn't Latino an ethnicity? Like there could be white Latinos, black Latinos, Asian Latinos etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf71 View Post
    Kendra had very dark skin from the very beginning, much darker skin than they give any white people. I always knew she was Latina. It's difficult for me to believe that people didn't know that.
    FYI Latinos come in all shades So you can't just go by that.
    It's mostly a cultural designation, that's why unless it's in their name (which it's not for her) they grew up in that culture or language (which she didn't), they in some way recognize culturally or somewhere outwardly identify as such (which she didn't), like Kyle Rayner who never does, and never did, it's kind of moot. People won't automatically know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf71 View Post
    It's difficult for me to believe that people didn't know that.
    Her "color" that you go by, like Kyle Rayner's is meaningless to all that.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-14-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Isn't Latino an ethnicity? Like there could be white Latinos, black Latinos, Asian Latinos etc.
    Yup, exactly. I remember when Miles Morales was announced, they said he was "half black and half latino" and thought "What the bloody hell are they talking about?".

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I know she turned out to be evil but Rhonda Pineda (Atomica), should get a second chance at life. Give her a good counterpart on Earth Prime and make her the Atom again. Ultraman is just an evil Clark Kent, Superwoman is an evil Lois Lane and Power Ring is a evil Hal Jordan; so there is a precedent set already.
    Yes Yes Yes, I would Love that.