BANNED

Default A Star Trek DTI series?

Could it be done well? It's harder to greenlight a big budget show with all the competition out there. Could a DTI series work if done well? Would The TNG and TOS fans be as hyped about it as if it was following around a starship captain?

BANNED

First of all, what does DTI stands for?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Could it be done well? It's harder to greenlight a big budget show with all the competition out there. Could a DTI series work if done well? Would The TNG and TOS fans be as hyped about it as if it was following around a starship captain?
    It's a good idea for a spin off, but, personally, if Star Trek comes back I would rather them jumping 100 years later to the furure like TNG did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    It's a good idea for a spin off, but, personally, if Star Trek comes back I would rather them jumping 100 years later to the furure like TNG did.
    The question is would any studio take the big risk that the budget would mean.

They might have to pay Chris Bennett some kind of residuals, if he has any decent kind of contract, and the quantum theory stuff would go over the heads of 90% of the network TV audience (to say nothing of the executives), so they probably don't feel like bothering.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

We had time travel shows before and people were capable of enjoying it.

Its an interesting idea but it was not a big enough part of Star Trek to base a new series on.

While time travel has been a very frequent plot device for Star Trek (including 3 of the movies!) I don't think it would work as a full series.

Also could depend on the budget, even the largest time travel sci-fi (Doctor Who) often sticks to present day London to save money.

BANNED

It could work IMO, but as a Spin Off of a present, succesful, series.

Incredible Member

That could have potential.

Heck,I'd watch it!

As long as Braga and Menosky don't get his hands on it. They were like the Lindelof/Cuse of his day -- much more interested in the idea of the high concept episode than the execution of it. Some of their TNG time travel stories were really good, but in Voyager they became so common place that once the Temporal Cold War arc was introduced in Enterprise by Braga, I was rolling my eyes.

Though getting a Trek series on the air is itself wishful thinking, I realize that it'd be another step further to wish for it to get picked up by AMC or HBO. Maybe give it another 10 years?
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-02-2014 at 09:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    It could work IMO, but as a Spin Off of a present, succesful, series.
    We might not have the luxury for a more traditional show with the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    As long as Braga and Menosky don't get his hands on it. They were like the Lindelof/Cuse of his day -- much more interested in the idea of the high concept episode than the execution of it. Some of their TNG time travel stories were really good, but in Voyager they became so common place that once the Temporal Cold War arc was introduced in Enterprise by Braga, I was rolling my eyes.

Though getting a Trek series on the air is itself wishful thinking, I realize that it'd be another step further to wish for it to get picked up by AMC or HBO. Maybe give it another 10 years?
    Trek would depend on the budget, but my aproach would have big risks too.

I've never heard of the DTI, so for me there isn't much interest. I would be interesting in seeing Star Trek return to TV, but with the movie relaunch and all, I kinda feel like I am getting as much Star Trek as I need at the moment. It might be interesting to see a series that follows a star ship that isn't the Enterprise but takes place in the same time frame as the current movies. Like a Star Trek: Discovery or something.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!