Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's Jim Shooter on the Threeboot Legion, not Jim Starlin. Despite being Mr Cosmic, I'm not sure that Starlin has really done anything with the Legion. Shooter is considered one of the all-time great Legion writers from his run in the late '60s-early '70s, which includes the classic "Death of Ferro Lad". Sadly, Shooter didn't get to finish his Threeboot Legion runs in the way he intended to because of the Geoff Johns revamp, and the final issue of that series is one of the worst single issues I've ever read.
    Whoops. My mistake.

I highly recommend the DnA run. It was so good that when DC cancelled the series, Marvel snatched them up for Guardians of the Galaxy. And their work on Guardians is what made the movie a possibility.

Also, their run starts near the end of the previous Legion and Legionnaires series. Be sure not to overlook them. Legion Damned closes it out before Legion Worlds and Legion Lost bridge to the relaunch.
    And a Legion Secret Files issue came out during their run. Pick that up, too.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Yeah of your going to pick up Legion Lost (vol 1) then you should definetly look for the Legion of the Damned/Widening Rifts stories that lead into Legion Lost. This was Olvier Copiel's first real american work and he stuck around on Legion for a good 3 years before Marvel snatched him up.

Legion of Superheroes 122-125
    Legionaries 79-81

Why DC has never collected this story line is just a mystery to me.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 10-02-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yeah of your going to pick up Legion Lost (vol 1) then you should definetly look for the Legion of the Damned/Widening Rifts stories that lead into Legion Lost. This was Olvier Copiel's first real american work and he stuck around on Legion for a good 3 years before Marvel snatched him up.

Legion of Superheroes 122-125
    Legionaries 79-81

Why DC has never collected this story line is just a mystery to me.
    They have reprinted part of it. It was a 100-Page Giant a few years ago. Notable in that there were two printings, the first one having an issue out of order. (That's the one I bought, of course.)

The annoying thing about Legion of the Damned is that the individual issues are actually a bit pricey.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    The annoying thing about Legion of the Damned is that the individual issues are actually a bit pricey.
    Depending on your definition of pricey, each issue, even up thru widening rifts, is less than $10 apiece at my comic shop.com. The aforementioned collection is less than $10 itself but does not collect widening rifts.

I like each era of the legion in different ways. I'm currently rereading the Baxter series. I'm unsure if I should go straight to 5YL or 21YL. I've read them all before, just can't decide which way to go this time.

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Depending on your definition of pricey, each issue, even up thru widening rifts, is less than $10 apiece at my comic shop.com. The aforementioned collection is less than $10 itself but does not collect widening rifts.
    I wanted to get them for under $3 each.

I like each era of the legion in different ways. I'm currently rereading the Baxter series. I'm unsure if I should go straight to 5YL or 21YL. I've read them all before, just can't decide which way to go this time.
    The 5YL Legion is actually a pretty good read for about the first 12 issues. After that, there is a decline in quality until issue 25, though it's still pretty readable. The real crap is from 25-61 though, with only a few good stories scattered in there.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

I wanted to get them for under $3 each.

The 5YL Legion is actually a pretty good read for about the first 12 issues. After that, there is a decline in quality until issue 25, though it's still pretty readable. The real crap is from 25-61 though, with only a few good stories scattered in there.
    At my comic store all the Legion books in their longbox got the prices raised on all of them. So now it's taking even longer to get more Legion books for my collection.

I know, I've read it all, I just can't decide which way to go.

Under $3 is respectable. Good luck!

Edit: reply is to 'zonk, but I hit the wrong button.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The 5YL Legion is actually a pretty od read for about the first 12 issues. After that, there is a decline in quality until issue 25, though it's still pretty readable. The real crap is from 25-61 though, with only a few good stories scattered in there.
    I have to disagree with you completely here. I thought the series was amazing right up to when Giffen left. The Terrace Mosaic story (issues 25-36) was the grand finale of everything Giffen had been building since issue 1 of the 5 Years Latter series. The down turn started when Giffen left and even then it was not bad until after issue 50. After that the series fid get really bad, but those first 38 issues are fsntadtic.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 10-02-2014 at 03:22 PM.

I'm probably one of the few Legion fans that don't mind the Legion on the run story arc. Was it the best? Of course not, but I do think it gets an unfairly bad rep. Plus, Stuat Immonen showed even then that he was on the road to greatness.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have to disagree with you completely here. I thought the series was amazing right up to when Giffen left. The Terrace Mosaic story (issues 25-36) was the grand finale of everything Giffen had been building since issue 1 of the 5 Years Latter series. The down turn started when Giffen left and even then it was not bad until after issue 50. After that the series fid get really bad, but those first 38 issues are fsntadtic.
    I didn't care for a lot of the development in the latter part of the run (Element Lad and "Sean", the death of Sun Boy, Lightning Lad actually being Proty, etc.). It just felt like shock reveals for the sake of shock and it wasn't very good storytelling in my opinion.

Spectacular Member

I actually enjoyed 5yl all the way to the zero hour crossover. At that point I think the art is what bothered me.

As far as the early DNA stuff it can be quite pricey and hard to find.

Astonishing Member

I didn't care for a lot of the development in the latter part of the run (Element Lad and "Sean", the death of Sun Boy, Lightning Lad actually being Proty, etc.). It just felt like shock reveals for the sake of shock and it wasn't very good storytelling in my opinion.
    The Element Lad thing not only made sense for the character (gender should be irrelevant to a character who is all about the quixotic nature of matter), it was also something that had been speculated upon by fans for decades.

Shock Value is the DnA run, a tactic that became their stand by in the decades following. Nothing about 5 Years Later felt shock value, at least while Giffen had a hand in it (I quickly dropped it following his departure).

Now I want to read LoSH comics! Damn you, CBR users, for writing interesting comments!