Astonishing Member

Default Aquaman and the Others # 6 Discuss-o-thon.

AATO # 6 came out, and I'd like to talk about it.

Because it has KGBeast in it, which makes it a pivotal issue!

No but this issue was a good deal better than the "Legend" storyline had been. That was competent comics, but didn't really hook me as much as "guy with link to the Atlantean gold relics" should. But man things get kind of fleshed out here - and when I say "things" I mean "Russia".

The Others' Vostok-X (or Vostok-XI or whatever that mystery ends up being) appears to be the object of intrigue, which is a wildly pulp avenue to go down, and super-spy The Operative and The Prisoner of War both share links to this intrigue that they didn't even really know were a connection. But it's an incredibly logical one. And one that results in the effing KGBeast making trouble with a New 52 costume redesign that might be one of the first ever examples of a New 52 costume being BETTER than the classic look.

Historically there's a precedent as P.A.D.'s Aquaman run features an assassination attempt by the NKVDemon. But I'm actually a little more interested in the fact that Beast seems to be working with Cheshire - is she freelancing it or did the League of Assassins just peek into Aquaman's life for the second time this year? We've never really seen Aquaman tangle with the Assassins, but his tendency toward radical ecological ideals would be interesting to contrast to Ra's al Ghul. (Ra's al Ghul and Ocean Master seem like NATURAL allies.) Okay, logic exercise over.

What else? Jurgens does fun things here. I'd say the most fun thing out of the previous arc was the way he brought Vostok back - a moonbase, a Russian cosmonaut clone program, and magical memory transference. So here we get some fun, too - in the form of The Others new base - a super-hero yacht, all kitted out, and with amazingly fun concepts like a bedroom for Arthur and Mera that has an airlock and can be flooded so they can sleep underwater.

I'm actually incredibly curious to see where this bit of Cold War intrigue might go!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

and cheshire you forgot cheshire

I stuck out the first arc, because it was fun if nothing else, but I'm not sure I'm going to hang around for the next chapter. While I like espionage stories it's just not really grabbing me like I had hoped. It's still fun, but since DC has stopped trying to make every single story "Batman Grim" it has to be good as well as fun now. I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time finding anyone to say that this is an outstanding story.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

BANNED

I absolutely hated KGB Beast's dialogue, but i will accept the awfulness if:
    - KBG Beast has some super soldier serum and he's actually an old man with the body of a young man
    - KGB Beast has absolutely nothing to do with Putin's Russia
    - KBG Beast, like Voltok is a clone soldier, but still independent from Putin's Russia.

Always Rakzo

Said it before and I will say it again: Best Aquaman title currently.

It was pretty enjoyable.

It was enjoyable enough. This was actually the first issue of Aquaman and the Others I've picked up (mostly cause I don't really care about them anymore after their story arc in Aquaman). It was fun, but nothing that makes me want to keep reading it. I did like that base though, it was fun (nice timing Vostok). Overall a good read, but not sure how the whole KGBeast and Cheshire thing will work out. I don't really see them in an Aquaman title but oh well.

Fantastic Member

I liked it. But I don't like how Ya'Wara keeps getting touchy with Arthur when he has explained to her already that he isn't interested.

I think I'm not going to finish this arc. Blandness is building up with each issue and I'm not really a fan of this "love triangle" that Jurgens wants to bring up when in Aquaman title it was revealed that she is lesbian way back when.

For me this was the best issue of the series yet. It was talky with not a lot of action, but the writing was actually a little better. I actually didn't care for the new design of the KGBeast, but I think he's an appropriate villain for the team. Adding Cheshire also seems like fun.

As far as Ya'wara's sexuality, I imagine that she's not one to stick to a single gender. I don't see a problem with her loving both Kahina and Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    I liked it. But I don't like how Ya'Wara keeps getting touchy with Arthur when he has explained to her already that he isn't interested.
    Yeah I agree completely.

As far as Ya'wara's sexuality, I imagine that she's not one to stick to a single gender.
    Why? Nothing really indicated that before Jurgens started throwing these hints, I think.