Page 45 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I meant to write on the last page.
    Silver surfer has strength close to thor
    Silver surfer is not as strong as thor but he has thor like strength or is close in strength to thor.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I meant to write on the last page.

Silver surfer is not as strong as thor but he has thor like strength or is close in strength to thor.
    The Power Cosmic is to Norrin what rage is to the Hulk. Most would agree that at his base level SS is not as strong as Thor. But when we take into account all of the things that SS has done with the Power Cosmic, it's not entirely a stretch if a writer comes along and establishes that if SS were to convert all of the Power Cosmic at his command into a feat of strength, he would impress even the Mighty Thor.

Fortunately, like Blue Marvel, writers don't really focus on the Surfer's brawn as much. I may complain about not seeing enough feats from Adam, but I definitely like the fact that Ewing is writing him as an energy manipulator first and foremost, who just so happens to be capable of going toe to toe literally with the most strongest individuals in the known Marvel multiverse...and more often than not, coming out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Check this out.
    So Does Blue Marvel Have Combat Superspeed?

Wasn't this apparent when he single handedly took out the whole Squadron Supreme when Blur is on the team as well?
    Adam's ultrafast combat speed was also shown when he blitzed the Cosmic Twinkie (Rodstvow) into the portal that MAC created. And since both King Hyperion and Sentry are fast enough to dodge the punches of just about anyone who moves at regular speed, I'm guessing that Adam's ability to land knockout blows on both would indicate that Adam hits harder and faster than is credited.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-29-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I edited a few things in the last page.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Wasn't this apparent when he single handedly took out the whole Squadron Supreme when Blur is on the team as well?

Yeah,i thought it was apparent from beginning in his mini and other books,but to some folks if they don't see certain type of speed drawn like running speed or combat super speed(reflexes and agility) that's blurry like you see for flash and quick silver for example in art work,then to them that superhero etc.. does not have combat super speed and so they would down play those superheroes overall super speed in the battle forums etc..
    It could really get nuts in those battle forums.I try to stay out of those as much as i can these days.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-29-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think a writer has to establish at least once every 6 or so issues why the alpha is the alpha. Then you can feature all of the other members of the team the rest of the time. My problem with Ewing is that we've yet to see that with Blue Marvel. In fact, Ewing has never missed a chance to establish and reinforce that Adam isn't the most powerful member of the Ultimates. Or even the second most powerful. We've seen the likes of Hyperion, Starbrand, Sentry, etc., take out Celestials and Beyonders, but we've yet to see anything of the kind with Adam. If Hulk, Thor and others had been written the way Adam is now, they wouldn't be nearly as popular. Power and feats matter. Godlike feats. Otherwise, Adam just comes across as the hypothetical answer to, "What if Reed Richards, John Stewart and Luke Cage had a baby?"

I read this post and asked myself " Who typed this fire (truth)?"

And then i looked left and saw it was you.

Of course it was you.

That both makes me smile and saddens me simultaneously as it means not much has changed .

Anyway.... Lionforge comics. I trust Brandon Thomas to write the type of character i thought Blue Marvel was going to be .
    Last edited by Customizer; 04-30-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    I read this post and asked myself " Who typed this fire (truth)?"

And then i looked left and saw it was you.

Of course it was you.

That both makes me smile and saddens me simultaneously as it means not much has changed .

Anyway.... Lionforge comics. I trust Brandon Thomas to write the type of character i thought Blue Marvel was going to be .
    Yeah, I'm pretty hyped for his Noble series, too.

Invincible Member

I think the "problem" is that although Adam fits that Superman archetype, he was really created to function in a story about race in America. He wasn't a hero that you were meant live vicariously through...his mini about getting the reader to question things. Now that they're using him in a the 616 in a more conventional way, I think they are emphasizing brains and energy powers more than his strength in an attempt to distinguish him from the half a dozen other Superman clones/homages they have in the MU.

BANNED

is anyone suprised that Adam didn't make the Marvel official canon top 10 smartest list that they released back in February

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLR4EnRNaDw

Mighty Member

Not really, because that list is ALL about promotion. Although Marvel did push Adam into Mighty Avengers to start with, they've been very hands off since. I think they like him, or the idea of him, but they're not trying to position him into a major figure like Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl. Best believe if Blue Marvel was a priority he'd be like #3 on that list rather his feats warranted it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think a writer has to establish at least once every 6 or so issues why the alpha is the alpha. Then you can feature all of the other members of the team the rest of the time. My problem with Ewing is that we've yet to see that with Blue Marvel. In fact, Ewing has never missed a chance to establish and reinforce that Adam isn't the most powerful member of the Ultimates. Or even the second most powerful. We've seen the likes of Hyperion, Starbrand, Sentry, etc., take out Celestials and Beyonders, but we've yet to see anything of the kind with Adam. If Hulk, Thor and others had been written the way Adam is now, they wouldn't be nearly as popular. Power and feats matter. Godlike feats. Otherwise, Adam just comes across as the hypothetical answer to, "What if Reed Richards, John Stewart and Luke Cage had a baby?"
    Honestly, if writers still remember his brains, he'll still fair better than most poc characters in Marvel or DC.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Not really, because that list is ALL about promotion. Although Marvel did push Adam into Mighty Avengers to start with, they've been very hands off since. I think they like him, or the idea of him, but they're not trying to position him into a major figure like Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl. Best believe if Blue Marvel was a priority he'd be like #3 on that list rather his feats warranted it or not.
    Who cares about feats?

Marvel, frankly, shouldn't push individual characters simply because that's a sure fire way to get people to hate said characters. Fans always rebel.

Let Blue be the little engine that could.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Let Blue be the little engine that could.
    Under Ewing's pen, he's more like the little engine that could...with help. Or as "the help." A far cry from the classic definition of the rugged, individualistic, trail blazing hero that he was created to be. Ironic that in a universe where anything is possible, Brashear remains rife with second class citizen sensibilities.

The thought that is on my mind is how there might be a missed opportunity to really include Blue Marvel in a higher profile but i left wondering Marvel had this character that pretty much original with his own history why dont they work to put him into the mix instead of him just being kept to one book and one author.

Al Ewing tweeted yesterday saying he doesn't get readers/fans going on about a characters feats. It's not about Spidey lifting a 1 ton weight, it's what pushes him to achieve that feat. It's not the power, it's what motivates the use of the power.

so, yeah, don't expect Al to write stories showing off Blue's abilities unless there's a deep-insight character moment driving it.
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    The thought that is on my mind is how there might be a missed opportunity to really include Blue Marvel in a higher profile but i left wondering Marvel had this character that pretty much original with his own history why dont they work to put him into the mix instead of him just being kept to one book and one author.
    I hope it's not a rights issue