Page 69 of 95 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1411

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Also not to derail this thread. But why the heck are people complaining about the Sentry getting his own solo? The Sentry unlike Blue Marvel is MORE deserving of a solo. Unlike Blue Marvel's mini, BOTH the Sentry's minis sold VERY GOOD. The Sentry getting his own solo is long due. Blue Marvel has remained in limbo for a very long time. He's been in and out and his character has not developed as much yet. Not only that he has LESS comic appearances than the Sentry.

So again, why is Sentry getting a solo which is long overdue Marvel "neglecting Black characters." And I say this as a Black person who always argued for more Black AUTHENTIC representation in Marvel. And no... Black Panther is not getting "half pushed", after the film Marvel is going to push him to the moon.
    ..... What? Sentry has been dead or a Zombie for the last 6 years. Blue Marvel has been a member or the Mighty Avengers & the Ultimates. How is the latter in limbo but not the former?

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    ..... What? Sentry has been dead or a Zombie for the last 6 years. Blue Marvel has been a member or the Mighty Avengers & the Ultimates. How is the latter in limbo but not the former?
    How does a zombie count as limbo? Anyways Blue Marvel has consistently been a long limbo as a new character. When we compare character appearances its more apparent(878 vs 161). After his miniseries he was in a long limbo. Then he made a brief appearance in the Age of Hero. I'll admit that the Sentry was in a long limbo after Uncanny Avengers, but on average Blue Marvel has been in and out of limbo more so than the Sentry and he debuted in 2008.

And no one said the Sentry is not a character that hasn't been in limbo for a long time. But again Blue Marvel has consistently has been which is why he has not appeared in many iconic stories. Compared to the Sentry.
    Last edited by Golden Guardian of Good; 03-10-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Blue Marvel has been used far more sparingly than Sentry was. I think that, at least initially, this was to prevent the kind of over-exposure that Bob initially received. That is a good thing.

Sooner or later, someone will come along who's got a stellar idea for him, I hope, and BM will get the shot he deserves.

How does a zombie count as limbo? Anyways Blue Marvel has consistently been a long limbo as a new character. When we compare character appearances its more apparent(878 vs 161). After his miniseries he was in a long limbo. Then he made a brief appearance in the Age of Hero. I'll admit that the Sentry was in a long limbo after Uncanny Avengers, but on average Blue Marvel has been in and out of limbo more so than the Sentry and he debuted in 2008.

And no one said the Sentry is not a character that hasn't been in limbo for a long time. But again Blue Marvel has consistently has been which is why he has not appeared in many iconic stories. Compared to the Sentry.
    Mate, I haven’t the slightest clue what you’re on about. Blue Marvel is actually alive and active in the Marvel Universe, team books and crossover events. Sentry was only brought back as a zombie for a handful of Uncanny Avengers issues, and more recently, an issue of Doc Strange. Adam Brashear, in recent years, has actually had a place in the MU. Bob is hoping to find his own.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My point is simply that because of who is he is and what he can do, he is always a real and present threat to established standards and narratives. That's the whole point behind Grevioux creating him.

For those that doubt this...know your history and read between the lines...

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-214/

COMIC LEGEND: EC Comics was told to change a black character to a white character or else violate the Comics Code.

Judge Charles Murphy (administrator of the Comics Code) said that they would have to change the astronaut from black to white if they wanted it to be included. This was not part of the Code at the time. Feldstein and Gaines felt that Murphy was just deliberately messing with them (again, Gaines felt that the Code was designed specifically to put him out of business).

After being told that, clearly, the color of the astronaut’s skin was practically the whole point of the story, Murphy backed down a bit, but said that they would at least have to get rid of the perspiration on his skin. It could possibly be that Murphy felt that it was exploitative. I do not know, and neither did Feldstein nor Gaines, who only had their suspicions that they were being screwed with.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post

I remember this! "Judgement Day" is an excellent story that speaks volumes in historically but also presently. I agree that I think Blue Marvel shakes things up a lot as far as the status quo of Super Hero comics featuring people color as a whole because he's a genius and he's powerful. Let's not forget he was to hold his own against Sentry, Wonder Man, Captain Marvel (Ms Marvel at the time) and Iron Man at the same time. On top of that his girlfriend is just as powerful, if not more so, and she's a black woman.

I think if given his proper due, he can have Fantastic Four style adventures featuring his family and Spectrum, while also linking his past to his present (something Al Ewing was doing while writing him). Just a thought.

Mighty Member

Personally I don't really care that there's a Sentry book. He's fine, and everyone is someone's favorite character. However, to say he is more deserving is where I must disagree. Time, age, or appearances have nothing to do with that as far as I'm concerned. I break down heroes by Villains, Supporting Cast, and Lore/History.

Villains:
    Sentry pretty much only has The Void.
    Blue Marvel pretty much only has Anti-Man.

Supporting Cast:
    Sentry has...CLOC.
    Yeah, Blue Marvel has this hands down, simply on the basis of having kids with drastically different personalities and skill sets.

Lore/History:
    The problem for Sentry in this case is that his past, as little as we've seen, is constantly being retconned or reinterpreted. You may include Sentry's former appearances here, but a lot of that feels like a bit of a non-starter. He's not doing anything because he's too strong. Writers don't allow him to do much besides be scared of The Void.

In truth, Blue Marvel has established himself far more in a short amount of time. His life has been divided into three distinct parts, all interesting, well defined, and still have lots of room for exploration. They don't treat Blue Marvel as a mystery or wild card so writers have been able to touch on his past and past relationships. I would argue that Blue Marvel has actually done more than Sentry already. Although his feats. aren't as flashy as Sentry's, since Mighty Avengers Blue Marvel has often contributed with his intelligence and wealth of sci-fi/paranormal experience. A sidelined Blue Marvel is depicted as still doing something. A sidelined Sentry is kind of just sitting there struggling to contain himself.

So as far as who deserves it, by my personal parameters, it would be Blue Marvel.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post

For what's worth, Jim Shooter created a character for the Legion of Superheroes called Ferro Lad who actually would have been the first black superhero a couple months before Black Panther. Someone in DC's management made them change the character because they were afraid that newstands in the South wouldn't carry the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    Mate, I haven’t the slightest clue what you’re on about. Blue Marvel is actually alive and active in the Marvel Universe, team books and crossover events. Sentry was only brought back as a zombie for a handful of Uncanny Avengers issues, and more recently, an issue of Doc Strange. Adam Brashear, in recent years, has actually had a place in the MU. Bob is hoping to find his own.
    No I think you're missing my point. Again how does being a Zombie(Apocalypse Death seed) count as limbo??? Do you know what limbo means? And if we want to talk about team books? The Sentry has appeared in MUCH MORE than the Blue Marvel. The Blue Marvel is hardly even integrated in the Marvel U and has just NOW starting to appear in major arcs like Civil War even so his appearance was limited. Blue Marvel is hardly integrated among other Marvel U heros besides a few and yet he has still hasn't even been an Avenger yet. Lastly crossover events? The Sentry has many MORE memorable crossover stories(with him actually playing a big part) than Blue Marvel. If not the case then show me a memorable Blue Marvel scene.

Look I badly want Blue Marvel to succeed as a Black man. I LIKE what Blue Marvel represents. A BLACK repeat BLACK powerhouse who can stand with the others. I like this because many of the powerhouses in Marvel are lily White. I feel the Blue Marvel acts as an equalizer. However, just because we dislike the Sentry lets not pretend he isn't deserving of his own solo which is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Personally I don't really care that there's a Sentry book. He's fine, and everyone is someone's favorite character. However, to say he is more deserving is where I must disagree. Time, age, or appearances have nothing to do with that as far as I'm concerned. I break down heroes by Villains, Supporting Cast, and Lore/History.

Villains:
    Sentry pretty much only has The Void.
    Blue Marvel pretty much only has Anti-Man.

Supporting Cast:
    Sentry has...CLOC.
    Yeah, Blue Marvel has this hands down, simply on the basis of having kids with drastically different personalities and skill sets.

Lore/History:
    The problem for Sentry in this case is that his past, as little as we've seen, is constantly being retconned or reinterpreted. You may include Sentry's former appearances here, but a lot of that feels like a bit of a non-starter. He's not doing anything because he's too strong. Writers don't allow him to do much besides be scared of The Void.

In truth, Blue Marvel has established himself far more in a short amount of time. His life has been divided into three distinct parts, all interesting, well defined, and still have lots of room for exploration. They don't treat Blue Marvel as a mystery or wild card so writers have been able to touch on his past and past relationships. I would argue that Blue Marvel has actually done more than Sentry already. Although his feats. aren't as flashy as Sentry's, since Mighty Avengers Blue Marvel has often contributed with his intelligence and wealth of sci-fi/paranormal experience. A sidelined Blue Marvel is depicted as still doing something. A sidelined Sentry is kind of just sitting there struggling to contain himself.

So as far as who deserves it, by my personal parameters, it would be Blue Marvel.
    Really I don't think it's a matter of one character deserving it more than the other. More than anything I think it's either a matter of a given writer wanting to use one of them or having a particular story to tell.

I will say though that Sentry arguably needs it more. A lot about Sentry is broken that needs to be fixed, while Adam is relatively speaking okay. Ewing left Adam in a good place to where if that was it for while, fans at least aren't left hanging. But with Sentry, both Bob and his fans aren't necessarily left in a good place. So in that regard I can see a writer wanting to sort of fix Sentry a bit. In fact I think that might even be the appeal of writing him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Really I don't think it's a matter of one character deserving it more than the other. More than anything I think it's either a matter of a given writer wanting to use one of them or having a particular story to tell.

I will say though that Sentry arguably needs it more. A lot about Sentry is broken that needs to be fixed, while Adam is relatively speaking okay. Ewing left Adam in a good place to where if that was it for while, fans at least aren't left hanging. But with Sentry, both Bob and his fans aren't necessarily left in a good place. So in that regard I can see a writer wanting to sort of fix Sentry a bit. In fact I think that might even be the appeal of writing him.
    Perhaps, but what's wrong with Sentry is virtually impossible to fix.

People call Sentry a Superman analogue, and that's true and false at the same time. He's a Silver Age Superman analogue, a guy who could move planets, time travel effortlessly and had any power you could tackle 'super' onto. Of all the pre Crisis stuff to come back, we know that won't return.

Too powerful really only works in a mini. We saw the effect of Sentry around 24/7 when Bendis brought him back and it wasn't good.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

I'd say that Sentry being "broken" was kind of the point of the character. The challenge is going to be how un-break him and keep him interesting or keep him broken yet make him seem heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Perhaps, but what's wrong with Sentry is virtually impossible to fix.
    You mean by lazy writers? Then yea. But with Lemire it doesn't seem to be that cause.

People call Sentry a Superman analogue, and that's true and false at the same time. He's a Silver Age Superman analogue, a guy who could move planets, time travel effortlessly and had any power you could tackle 'super' onto. Of all the pre Crisis stuff to come back, we know that won't return.
    And yet the Sentry has never done none of the bolded. And he is more similar to Miracle Man, Dr Manhattan and others like them. Than he is to a Superman analogue.

Too powerful really only works in a mini.
    I always find it funny that people complain about the Sentry being too "powerful" and yet have no problems with Silver Surfer, Thor, Hyperion and Hulk. All of which have done far more crazier stuff than the Sentry especially Silver Surfer.

We saw the effect of Sentry around 24/7 when Bendis brought him back and it wasn't good.
    Or... It could've been Bendis not knowing how to write characters that are not street levelers? Or his favorites? The Sentry isn't even the only character he has botched which explains the many posters on this very site that are not going to miss Bendis when he leaves. So using the Sentry written under Bendis is a bad example.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'd say that Sentry being "broken" was kind of the point of the character. The challenge is going to be how un-break him and keep him interesting or keep him broken yet make him seem heroic.
    What we mean is badly written...

Ultimate Member

You mean by lazy writers? Then yea. But with Lemire it doesn't seem to be that cause.
    We'll see.

And yet the Sentry has never done none of the bolded. And he is more similar to Miracle Man, Dr Manhattan and others like them. Than he is to a Superman analogue.
    He's a Silver Age analogue of Superman, who could do anything. That's where his issues start

I always find it funny that people complain about the Sentry being too "powerful" and yet have no problems with Silver Surfer, Thor, Hyperion and Hulk. All of which have done far more crazier stuff than the Sentry especially Silver Surfer.
    The difference is that those all have multiple peers who can fight them evenly. They're all 100 ton plus characters, a well populated field.

In contrast, Sentry went toe to toe World War Hulk, the angriest Hulk yet, and manhandled Terrax. Power of a million exploding suns and all that. Sentry's only peer is Void, who comes from him.

Or... It could've been Bendis not knowing how to write characters that are not street levelers? Or his favorites? The Sentry isn't even the only character he has botched which explains the many posters on this very site that are not going to miss Bendis when he leaves. So using the Sentry written under Bendis is a bad example.
    Like it or not, Bendis brought back and defined Sentry. And part of that definition i him being 'too powerful'.