Page 85 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1411
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Let's not forget why Wolverine was killed off in the first place, overuse.
    Well, it looks like they're picking right up where they left off with Wolverine. Typical Marvel: say one thing, publish another.

I don't want Adam to become that popular, to be honest. I just want 3-5 years of development so that he can build a base. Everyone likes to pretend that every Marvel character that has a large following were all instant successes. They weren't. Not all of them. It took years and years of issues, some good, some not so good, until finally the right writer came along. True for Daredevil. True for X-Men. True for Black Panther. And if they really want to make a difference, they could do for Adam what they're now doing for Carol/Captain Marvel. Make a point of getting these characters on panel until fan interest in the character pays dividends.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I think I should ask: In what way does the number of comics released affect it? I mean, I can see the upper end having a ton of great comics with a middle of mediocrity and a bottom of turriblenes, but lately it seems to be meh across the board.
    Again, we're comparing movies with comics. They put out 3 movies a year or so. If marvel put out that many books monthly, the MU would be a much smaller streamlined universe like the movies are. THere wouldn't be thousands of characters floating out in limbo because there would be no need to create thousands of characters in the first place. Comics have the option of just throwing whatever they want on the wall to see if it sticks. Movies are million dollar investments, so they are more careful about what they put out there and try a LOT harder to ensure that those millions spent aren't wasted.

Hell at this point what I am hoping for the most would be for Adam to either join a new Infinity Watch or a new Annihilaters

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, it looks like they're picking right up where they left off with Wolverine. Typical Marvel: say one thing, publish another.

I don't want Adam to become that popular, to be honest. I just want 3-5 years of development so that he can build a base. Everyone likes to pretend that every Marvel character that has a large following were all instant successes. They weren't. Not all of them. It took years and years of issues, some good, some not so good, until finally the right writer came along. True for Daredevil. True for X-Men. True for Black Panther. And if they really want to make a difference, they could do for Adam what they're now doing for Carol/Captain Marvel. Make a point of getting these characters on panel until fan interest in the character pays dividends.
    The problem is there are SOOO many viable characters sitting in limbo, and so few available spots to use use them. Yeah, you can give Carol the spot Adam has, but them a Carol fan will complain she's not getting opportunities. Give both an opportunity and some other character will get the shaft.

Which isn't to say I don't believe Adam is one of those characters that shouldn't get opportunities, or that marvel generally speaking can't do a better job making them... but ultimately there are hundreds and hundreds of characters sitting in limbo waiting to be used. There's no way everyone can win here.

But I do think especially with the sucess of the movies they are actively looking for new IP's which can potentially blow up. Even if they don't in the comic world, if like Ant Man they can generate a sucessful movie, it's worth their time. So I think Adams odds are a bit better now than they were in the past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again, we're comparing movies with comics. They put out 3 movies a year or so. If marvel put out that many books monthly, the MU would be a much smaller streamlined universe like the movies are. THere wouldn't be thousands of characters floating out in limbo because there would be no need to create thousands of characters in the first place. Comics have the option of just throwing whatever they want on the wall to see if it sticks. Movies are million dollar investments, so they are more careful about what they put out there and try a LOT harder to ensure that those millions spent aren't wasted.
    Oh okay, I see what you mean now.

I was trying to say that even the charas that do get focus in comics lately were doing poorly outside of a few exceptions (though I can see that turning around this year and the next) instead of just a general population of characters abandoned (new x-men with yost had a wonderful roster for instance)

The problem is there are SOOO many viable characters sitting in limbo, and so few available spots to use use them. Yeah, you can give Carol the spot Adam has, but them a Carol fan will complain she's not getting opportunities. Give both an opportunity and some other character will get the shaft.

Which isn't to say I don't believe Adam is one of those characters that shouldn't get opportunities, or that marvel generally speaking can't do a better job making them... but ultimately there are hundreds and hundreds of characters sitting in limbo waiting to be used. There's no way everyone can win here.

But I do think especially with the sucess of the movies they are actively looking for new IP's which can potentially blow up. Even if they don't in the comic world, if like Ant Man they can generate a sucessful movie, it's worth their time. So I think Adams odds are a bit better now than they were in the past.
    Okay, there are truly lots of characters sitting in limbo. However, there are few that are solid black male characters that fit in the mold of potentially being a hero powerhouse but possessing the integrity and will to be a shining beacon in a crew of heroes that are shifting to a grey area of heroism.

The problem is there are SOOO many viable characters sitting in limbo, and so few available spots to use them.
    It's a problem that Marvel created, kind of like an arsonist bemoaning the thousands of homeless people that showed up in his neighborhood after he torched all of their homes. If they wanted to, they could change their business model without flooding us with the same old characters who saturate the market to the point that most fans are numb and disinterested. And don't get me started on all of the derivative plots and rehashed events.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Facts, I personally think that it's sickening for people to get hung up on seeing the few characters cycle through the same 10 or 11 plots for decades. Damn near maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's a problem that Marvel created, kind of like an arsonist bemoaning the thousands of homeless people that showed up in his neighborhood after he torched all of their homes. If they wanted to, they could change their business model without flooding us with the same old characters who saturate the market to the point that most fans are numb and disinterested. And don't get me started on all of the derivative plots and rehashed events.
    I don't think marvel can be faulted for pushing the characters who are proven popular enough to sell. But certainly the business model of pre-orders in local comic shops does make it hard for new book to really suceed. Most comic shops aren't going to order a lot of a book that doesn't have a proven track record, so at times new books are basically dead on arrival before they even hit the shelves. But the industry is evolving, and things like online sales I think help change that.

But beyond that, it's no longer just about selling comics... it's about generating IP. Characters that can't necessarily sustain an on-going monthly book indefinately like Runaways or Jessica Jones are getting tV shows, so that does create opporunities for new characters to still blow up. Hopefully Blue Marvel can fall into that category.

so how does Blue Marvel shape up in video games?

BANNED

I don't think marvel can be faulted for pushing the characters who are proven popular enough to sell. But certainly the business model of pre-orders in local comic shops does make it hard for new book to really suceed. Most comic shops aren't going to order a lot of a book that doesn't have a proven track record, so at times new books are basically dead on arrival before they even hit the shelves. But the industry is evolving, and things like online sales I think help change that.

But beyond that, it's no longer just about selling comics... it's about generating IP. Characters that can't necessarily sustain an on-going monthly book indefinately like Runaways or Jessica Jones are getting tV shows, so that does create opporunities for new characters to still blow up. Hopefully Blue Marvel can fall into that category.

Team books are good for this reason. You can't get a solo, but you can get a lot of moments for a character to shine and they tend to do better than a solo.

Like I know nextwave (couldn't get enough sales to keep it's preferred artist) and ultimates didn't quite sell well, but they are quite acclaimed. I feel like that is important to catch someones eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Team books are good for this reason. You can't get a solo, but you can get a lot of moments for a character to shine and they tend to do better than a solo.

Like I know nextwave (couldn't get enough sales to keep it's preferred artist) and ultimates didn't quite sell well, but they are quite acclaimed. I feel like that is important to catch someones eye.
    Just make him a a permanent member of the Avengers. They're the premier team of Marvel now so he's bound to get the mass exposure through that. Once more people see him in action (doing MAJOR things) and start to look into his background, then demand for the character WILL rise exponentially. Every time a Youtube vid is made about him I always see people in the comment section expressing their interest in the character and their desire to see him used more.

At the end of the day (in this day and age), a comic character that's part of the big two companies isn't worth much unless they succeed in the movies. The next step is to put a movie into development based on his debut story, then launch a solo book once the news about the movie is revealed to the public to capitalize on the hype. Make a good movie, then boom. You got yourself another star like Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Just make him a a permanent member of the Avengers. They're the premier team of Marvel now so he's bound to get the mass exposure through that. Once more people see him in action (doing MAJOR things) and start to look into his background, then demand for the character WILL rise exponentially. Every time a Youtube vid is made about him I always see people in the comment section expressing their interest in the character and their desire to see him used more.

At the end of the day (in this day and age), a comic character that's part of the big two companies isn't worth much unless they succeed in the movies. The next step is to put a movie into development based on his debut story, then launch a solo book once the news about the movie is revealed to the public to capitalize on the hype. Make a good movie, then boom. You got yourself another star like Black Panther.
    True to your point, I was just reading the published conversation and brainstorming sessions that included Ewing discussing the No Road Home, Avengers mini and it stuck in my crawl that they were bantering and laughing over dinner the forming of a group to form for Avengers. All that i read were all the opportunities to use Blue in an impactful way that could really work to establish a lot better than how he was used on the peripheral for The Ultimates book.

Just make him a permanent member of the Avengers.
    Not a bad idea. Blue Marvel has yet to be a member of the main Avengers team. If he has even stepped one foot into Avengers HQ, it had to have happened in a cameo that I missed. I know the script was for him to refuse to accept Stark's invitation to the team, because he didn't trust them or the government, but I think now would be a good time for him to join the main squad simply because he doesn't trust them not to screw up. It never hurts to have an uber powerful well-reasoned, level headed adult in the room. He could easily be to the Avengers what Martian Manhunter is to the Justice League.

~James Baldwin

I wish they had kept the formula Hickman used by having a massive Avengers team. THat way more characters like Blue Marvel could join. It's not like they need to use EVERY member in every story... but just being on the team I think would help him and a lot of other heroes.