Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default National Heroes vs. ISIS

I know this is a crazy idea coming out from left field but thought it could be a cool idea. Back in WWII comic book heroes helped fight in the war, you know Captain America punching Hitler on the jaw etc etc.

Now with the ongoing crisis in the Middle East involving ISIS with a coalition of nations looking to take them down could we not see a team up of national heroes to help in the fight?

Like I said its crazy and wont happen but would you read a series about a team up of national heroes?

Possible Members:

Captain America
    Union Jack
    Guardian / Vindicator
    Batroc the Leaper
    Wolverine
    Captain Britain
    Arabian Knight
    Iron Patriot

Who would you add? Who would you remove?

Lets have some fun!

I would have thought it was too early to see who the real evil is in this yet. Sure, some masked men were murdering and causing atrocities, but there isn't any leadership structure at present to identify with here, in ISIS.

I'm not sure if this movement is just a lot of gangsters or if it is another Arabian Spring movement. Have these characters expressed their intentions about what they want and where they will stop? I think if they get any closer to Israel they will be experiencing some atomic weapons exploding all around them, if they are not too careful. I was thinking this was something to do with the split up of Irak, and that's as far as it would go.

The situation is a little unclear at the present to make it a them and us campaign.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.

pretty sure it's an easy us versus them scenario.

buncha faceless, masked mooks who are murderous thugs against shiny brightly coloured superheroes who believe in freedom, democracy and justice. and as for leaders, well, the Jihadi John guy would do for start, as would the other so-called 'Jihadi Beatles' members or any of the other British-born Jihadis seen in the propaganda.

why Batroc for France? Tricolore from the SHE would make more sense.
    I surrender to the Contest

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

With Latveria being a bit closer geographically than most countries listed I would think Doom would loathe to have such religious extremists anywhere near his country. Also, how about Faiza Hussain aka Excalibur? As a British Muslim I think she would want to join the coalition.

I don't know. It feels too warmongering. I don't have a problem with it being referenced and the positives and negatives of the fight against Isis but I don't really want to see a bunch of white guys beat up a bunch of stereotypical Middle eastern characters

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

God no.

I don't like political stances in my books or of my heroes and there's no way to avoid it in a real world conflict. Especially one with such a complicated history and blood on all sides.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

If a book were to be created it would probably be in the same vein of the Invaders. So I guess I could see.....

Winter Solider
    Human Torch (Jim)
    Torro
    Spitfire

Then add in some New School
    Iron Patriot
    Black Widow
    Vision
    Radiance

That would probably be the team I would choose for it. Seems to have just about everything you could need on a super group made for war. Didn't have Captain America on the list because he already has to much going on. (Steve and Sam both)
    Last edited by Trident; 10-03-2014 at 05:03 AM.

I would love to see it done but I doubt it will. ISIS are way too unpredictable and something that small could cause them to kill someone.
    Straight Shot Mob

Spectacular Member

No, unless it could avoid portraying the US and the US government as saints who can do no wrong. And there's very little chance that such a story would be written as anything other than propaganda.

ISIS are scum, but that doesn't automathically make their opposition wholesome.

So...Holy Terror, but for Marvel?
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    So...Holy Terror, but for Marvel?
    Yeah, I think that's the problem with this idea, it could come across as as another Holy Terror and that comic is reviled. People talk about how in the 40s you had Captain America punching Hitler, but its not the 1940s anymore, you can't expect today's more sophisticated audiences to be exactly same as an audience from the 1940s, these types of old school propaganda comics would be a hard sell to a more knowledgeable, but jaded modern audience.

I think most people would agree that ISIS is pretty vile, but having super heroes come in and beat them up, doesn't deal with the conditions that created this group in the first place.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 10-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Well I'm thinking Marvel could do a rip off of the group and call it CRISIS and be a new terrorist group, like AIM, HYDRA, or Zodiac. Get some villians to get into it and and create new villians for the group. Since its terrorist I say Secret Avengers and Winter Soldier are more likely to battle them

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Well I'm thinking Marvel could do a rip off of the group and call it CRISIS and be a new terrorist group, like AIM, HYDRA, or Zodiac. Get some villians to get into it and and create new villians for the group. Since its terrorist I say Secret Avengers and Winter Soldier are more likely to battle them
    ISIS is a social issue, so I don't think you could reflect that in a super hero driven comic. It would look like a police action and super heroes don't do that. SHEILD yes, but not super heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    What's the point of that? If CRISIS is just the usual band of generic western terrorists that want to take over the world that we usually see in comics, then it is nothing like ISIS. ISIS is rooted in real time political events that comic books cannot capture properly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    What's the point of that? If CRISIS is just the usual band of generic western terrorists that want to take over the world that we usually see in comics, then it is nothing like ISIS. ISIS is rooted in real time political events that comic books cannot capture properly.
    Well HYDRA was based from fascism and AIM I think was based around communism, so at base CRISIS can be rooted in real time and a group like this it will probably be under SHIELD's radar but as time will go on SHIELD will try to control and contain them only for some villains, monsters, and super weapons finding themselves within the group. Also the social media tactic could be entertaining seeing it be used towards SHIELD with its known "secrecy".