Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I read some of "Of the Year" in the library years ago and loved it, but I never found it again. Here in the UK it seems to be rare on amazon, although I think theres an ebook/kindle version now.

The price changes can be crazy for all books from UK amazon chargers, I've bought all sorts like the Authority that swing from having £100 copies to £10 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It was a bunch of vignettes featuring certain characters moving on from the events of Judgment Day. I really only remember the New Men starting a career as Challengers of the Unknown" style explorers. Basically, it's notable because it's one of Gil Kane's last jobs before he passed away, but certain panels and pages were published out of order, which lead to a very confusing read. (I don't think the out of place panels were intentional like in Nemo: Heart of Ice to explain the time dilation.)
    Then I was mistaken -- I had them switched. The Judgment Day TPB contains Aftermath, but not the Sourcebook, which must be why I still have the Sourcebook as a single issue. Sorry! I will amend my earlier post to avoid confusing anyone else.
    Last edited by Big Bad Voodoo Lou; 10-07-2014 at 07:51 PM.

BANNED

Story of the Year had two versions, I had them both at one time. The second run had much better image quality. The crap run had just Checker on the spine, while the corrected one has CheckerBPG on the spine. I found my good copy at Half Price Books about a year ago, in NM shape for $13.49.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    With regard to JUDGEMENT DAY, it appears to a 168 page tpb that is directly connected to Alan Moore's work on Supreme, but is it a capstone to the entire run or just something that is "also there"?
    It actually takes place between STORY OF THE YEAR and THE RETURN.

As for whether it's essential, it depends on what you like about Moore's Supreme. If it's the character himself and his storyline, he doesn't have that big a role. There's only one bit in THE RETURN that will seem odd if you haven't read JUDGMENT DAY. However, if it's the Allies, Youngblood, and the other Liefeld characters or if it's the use of comic book and pulp fiction history to frame the stories, JUDGMENT DAY is absolutely a must-read.

Is anyone reading Supreme: Blue Rose? I am intrigued because I loved Moore's Supreme run, I usually love Warren Ellis, I hear it's heavily inspired by David Lynch, who I also love, and the art looks gorgeous. But at this point I'm just waiting for the trade and hoping to read reviews along the way.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    Is anyone reading Supreme: Blue Rose? I am intrigued because I loved Moore's Supreme run, I usually love Warren Ellis, I hear it's heavily inspired by David Lynch, who I also love, and the art looks gorgeous. But at this point I'm just waiting for the trade and hoping to read reviews along the way.
    It's really good, in my opinion. If you're looking for action, you're not going to find it, but if you like works that challenge their reality, it's really wonderful. I can't imagine truly understanding and enjoying it if you haven't read Moore's Supreme, though. The idea of periodic revisions of reality forms the spine of the mini, although the central conceit is what if one of those revisions went wrong (or did it)?

All-New Member

The biggest problem with the Alan Moore Supreme books is that the six page prologue (which appeared in Wizard or some similar comics-media magazine) was omitted when the rest of the books were reprinted.

I really enjoyed "Story of the Year". It's a great modern take on a Superman Silver Age story, but with a metaphysical twist or two. I cannot reccomend "The Return", unless you are a completionist, or have a wealth of disposable income.

Bman

I'm looking at getting a copy of the Story of the Year Hardcover edition.
    It sounds like the complaints are from the first edition of the softcover. I know the hardcover has the missing Veitch pages, but does the hardcover edition seem to have better quality printing and resolution?

From what I understand the digital files to the old Extreme/Awesome issues were lost/corrupted/obsolete, so they just scammed in copies of the comics.

I managed to get all the floppies of Moore's run, which wasn't easy.

Fantastic Member

Supreme: Blue Rose was incredible. Reading it was the only time I've ever been glad to have read The Return.

Quote Originally Posted by rarndt View Post
    The biggest problem with the Alan Moore Supreme books is that the six page prologue (which appeared in Wizard or some similar comics-media magazine) was omitted when the rest of the books were reprinted.
    ???

I've never heard of this before? Can you tell us more about it?

Peribanez

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    For what's worth, there is a very recent Spanish collection of Supreme, so there should be no rights issues, I think.
    Supreme was published in Spain twice. The most recently edition is composed by two books, collecting all the issues written by Moore (except that issue based in his script; it was published later in USA). It's a pocket edition, anyway. Some pages don't have a good reproduction because Checker, the company that have the rights, did a bad scanned.

supreme-alan-moore.jpg