Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

The book was perfect.

It's the majority of comic book readers who lack taste, severely.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I agree that after the first three characters, the roster didn't really offer much. I'd be fine with seeing something close to the X-Factor from the end of the previous volume.

And maybe an All-New team for more bizarre threats?

1. get a British writer with considerable knowledge of both X history and writing a good story
    2. Bring Rogue back
    3. Give her Rachel and Colossus
    4. Others include Ariel, Boom Boom, Warbird, Synch, etc. Them or others we'd like to see that need to be carried by at least B-star power.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 10-03-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickbarry View Post
    There's only one X-member that could launch this book into relevancy. Colossus.
    lol I think you forgot to put ir before the word relevancy.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Gambit, when written well, can sustain a solo book. They severed his ties to the x-world too much in his last solo, and noone really gave an eff because of it. Other than Wolverine and Cable, X-characters don't really do well outside too far outside the x-realm. Just look at Fabian Nicieza's solo from the 90's/2000. It was solid, had decent sales and brought something that the other x-books really were adding to the franchise.

make it a mix of Gen X, New Mutants, and New X-Men...

Dani
    Husk
    Pixie
    and a New X-men guy to give Jono another dude to hang out with, but Im not sure who...

I thought the premise of the book was pretty dope but the cast was worse the epitome of poison. They should've brought Dani and Bishop in and kept Doug/Danger/Warlock far away.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 10-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I think the cast is secondary to the purpose of the book. If there is a clear reason for an X-Factor book to exist then it would lead to the right selection of characters.

Ultimate Member

Two words: Douglas Ramsey.

Don't say I didn't tell you so a long, long time ago.

thedouglaseffect.jpg
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 10-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

the premise was fantastic. The X-books needed a "corporate" team to flesh out the world that they "realistically" inhabited. X-factor has always been a title that either is the de facto seperatist mutant book or it tows the line as the sanctioned mutant agency book for characters that don't want to necessarily be lumped in with the X-militia.

The cast was just too one note, too "whitebread" and the "ethnic" AI characters could have made for interesting stories about the emergent AI race in liason with mutants, but it was never explored. Warlock and Danger were played for yucks.

Most of the book seemed to try to establish Lorna and deconstruct Gambit. too much exposition on both parts that made it seem heavy on what was clearly minutiae.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    The cast was just too one note, too "whitebread" and the "ethnic" AI characters could have made for interesting stories about the emergent AI race in liason with mutants, but it was never explored. Warlock and Danger were played for yucks.
    They'll eventually "get it" (the "diversity" factor, I mean)... but I'm still not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. Amazing that no one in the X-Office seems to put two and two together and realize that the X-Men were at their peak when they were most "diverse" in lineup.

With all due respect to PAD, anyone who would choose a character like Douglas over characters like Bishop, Cipher, and Dani gets what they deserve.

There were a lot of things wrong with this title. The cast, with the exception of Quicksilver, was pretty dull. (Marvel hasn't had a clear direction for Gambit since the 1990's.) The matching uniforms were uninspired and worse of all the art was sooooo flat! The coloring could have fixed that, but they insisted on monochromatic color overlay for like 80% of the series! (It's ok in small doses, for mood or the occasional flashback, etc. but it becomes very boring visually to read an entire comic like that.)

I'm sure Marvel will relaunch simply to keep the X-Factor trademark but I'd really rather they didn't. Sometimes things need to die. Do a one-shot X-Men annual with the blurb "Guest Starring: X-Factor!" If you are worried some other rival comic company is going to snatch up the brand name.
    Last edited by Vegeta; 10-03-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    There were a lot of things wrong with this title. The cast, with the exception of Quicksilver, was pretty dull. (Marvel hasn't had a clear direction for Gambit since the 1990's.) The matching uniforms were uninspired and worse of all the art was sooooo flat! The coloring could have fixed that, but they insisted on monochromatic color overlay for like 80% of the series! (It's ok in small doses, for mood or the occasional flashback, etc. but it becomes very boring visually to read an entire comic like that.)

I'm sure Marvel will relaunch simply to keep the X-Factor trademark but I'd really rather they didn't Sometimes things need to die. Do a one-shot X-Men annual with the blurb "Guest Starring: X-Factor!" If you are worried some other rival comic company is going to snatch up the brand name.
    Gambit's been kind of rehabilitated under Asmus and now PAD... not sure he could hold a solo right now, but he definitely could boost interest in another x-book.

In regards to the art, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think it was anything but boring.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... the shade is REAL.

Peter David in the most recent interview on the cancellation of X-Factor :

"No, [the comic is being canceled] because not enough people are buying it," he wrote. "Which is exactly the reason they cancelled 'Gambit' as well, so it’ll probably be a long time before he gets to star in another book.

ouch. but true. They give Gambit chance after chance and still this guy suffers from the equivalent of male comic book impotence, failing to get readership up. Even Gambit's embarrassing dick slip pics and KITTENS couldn't save this title.

This thread is for discussing 2 things:
    1. Where should the ANXF cast get shuffled to.
    2. Which established B-list X-men do you think should headline the All New All New team and what should their purpose be?

Excelsior!
    Then why did PAD throw Gambit a lifeline after his book tanked (even though Asmus & Mann did their level best with it)?

I mean, it's not like pad's character choices had the casual fan excited with fervor. In fact, I always regarded it as a needed clearinghouse for characters that couldn't interest me less.

And the one character that had some bite, well, he's Avengers property now and forever.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

maybe a new X-factor book could be like a "Mutants for Hire" premise? An kind of temp agency where mutants are hired onto various MU teams that need extra firepower, respectively, or need specialized mutant help for certain tasks or missions? it could chronicle individual mutants and their respective missions but overall the book would be about whoever are in charge, keeping an eye on the temps that they hire out. Husk would fit well into this environment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Gambit's been kind of rehabilitated under Asmus and now PAD... not sure he could hold a solo right now, but he definitely could boost interest in another x-book.

In regards to the art, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think it was anything but boring.
    Loved Giandomenico's artwork in this book -- reminded me of Aeon Flux. Team colors were atrocious though.

Had no interest in reading about anyone in it but Remy and Lorna (and potentially Danger), so the rest of the cast was a dealbreaker for me.