Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #2 Spoilers

Spoilers ahead!

spoilers:
    Danny is able to escape from the assassins that were chasing him.

The little girl from last issue survived.

K'un Lun has been under attack by a mysterious man.

Danny finds his old home destroyed.
    end of spoilers

Another wonderful issue, the character is in good hands.

I'm not familiar with Danny beyond like wiki or whatever but has his stories always been so dark? Other than that this book is absolutely gorgeous. I'm hooked so far.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I'm not familiar with Danny beyond like wiki or whatever but has his stories always been so dark? Other than that this book is absolutely gorgeous. I'm hooked so far.
    Not really. His last series, The Immortal Iron Fist, was mostly a noir/mysticism oriented book but not really dark and the Danny appearing here is certainly a much more serious character.

Good to see Orson's daughter hasn't been forgotten. Really enjoyed the issue. This story is certainly dark but I don't think Danny is necessarily a more serious character in general, he's just in a different place than when we last saw him. It seemed to me that was what Andrews was trying to convey in the internal monologue in issue #1.

That last page had my jaw drop to the floor. Awesome art and colours. Really fits the dark tone.

Yes!!!

This is an Iron Fist comic.

-Pav, who just finished issue two...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mighty Member

Great issue. That last page was shocking. The tumblers are turning in my brain trying to figure out who the mysterious figure is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    If anything this book has been a 180 from the way Danny has been traditionally portrayed. You would have
    to go all the way back to the early 70's to get this take on the character.

Frankly this book is pretty, but I hope nothing about this run sticks with the character long term as this book is kind of a large step back in Danny's character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I hope nothing about this run sticks with the character long term as this book is kind of a large step back in Danny's character development.
    Yeah! How dare Danny still be upset about seeing his parents killed violently!

-Pav, who isn't afraid of complex characters...
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 05-08-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Mod edit: toning down comment on other poster.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

This book is just odd for Danny... not sure if good odd or bad odd yet

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Yeah! How dare Danny still be upset about seeing his parents killed violently! Jeez, get over it already!

-Pav, who isn't afraid of complex characters...
    Being upset at your parent's death isn't even close to being "complex". There's also a concept called "moving on", that most orphans eventually learn about.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Being upset at your parent's death isn't even close to being "complex". There's also a concept called "moving on", that most orphans eventually learn about.
    Most orphans didn't see their mom get eaten alive by wolves, my brother.

And anyway, I should've used the word "dynamic" rather than complex, as I was thinking more in literary terms. Danny has often been portrayed as a rather flat character in the past and I find it much more realistic that he has both a light and a dark side to his personality. Y'know, like real people do.

I just don't find it difficult to square Danny's personality in The Living Weapon with his personality in IIF.
    Last edited by Global Honored; 05-08-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Last comment removed, keep it about the characters & comics

--------------------

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Hey folks, let's chill out, ok? Keep on topic and no need to over-react to what other posters said. We can still discuss Danny's personality.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

This is a VERY dark turn for Danny's character. For that reason, the first issue sort of concerned me because it just felt like it was trying to be edgy. Now that the second book is out and the plot is becoming more clear, I can see how Danny fits into what's being done here, so I'm okay with it. That said, I do hope it's a phase he's going through. Danny's not a dark character. He's spider-mannish, even a bit of a ditz. He can and will just say dumb things on occasion and that's part of his appeal.

That said, this is pretty epic and I'm excited to see where it goes. I'm glad it's following on the IIF storyline pretty directly. I loved that book. I'm curious when we'll get danny in costume and what the costume will be. I hope it goes back to the green. I always felt the white was pretty bland and lacked identity.

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    This is a VERY dark turn for Danny's character. For that reason, the first issue sort of concerned me because it just felt like it was trying to be edgy. Now that the second book is out and the plot is becoming more clear, I can see how Danny fits into what's being done here, so I'm okay with it. That said, I do hope it's a phase he's going through. Danny's not a dark character. He's spider-mannish, even a bit of a ditz. He can and will just say dumb things on occasion and that's part of his appeal.
    Sure, but that's only if your only exposure to the character is IIF. I finally read Essential Iron Fist before this series and he is anything but Spider-Mannish in his original stories. He's much more stoic and reserved in those early stories. I think the development of his more relaxed nature can be easily explained as becoming more comfortable with his life on Earth (rather than K'un Lun). One would think his friendship with Luke Cage, for example, would help him to open up, leading to the goofy billionaire we got in IIF. That being said, who he was isn't completely erased due to personal development; this comic shows us he still has inner struggle, and I'm glad to see it. I like dopey Danny, but I like tragic Danny too.

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    That said, this is pretty epic and I'm excited to see where it goes. I'm glad it's following on the IIF storyline pretty directly. I loved that book. I'm curious when we'll get danny in costume and what the costume will be. I hope it goes back to the green. I always felt the white was pretty bland and lacked identity.
    I'm totally with you. This issue was even stronger than the first, I think, and I'm even more excited to find out where the story will lead. The fact that this book does pick up where IIF left off is of great appeal to me, especially because we have no clue what Kaare has planned.

Any guesses as to the hooded figure?

-Pav, who wonders if anyone else got a "Bone" vibe while reading issue two...

PS: Apologies to anyone who felt agitation at some of my prior posts. No harm meant at all, my fellows, and I look forward to further discussion of our Living Weapon with you all!
    Last edited by Pav; 05-08-2014 at 06:53 AM.

--------------------