Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

I read it and i liked it quite a lot

I think the art is just very fitting for this kind of story and at the same time it is very busy in a good way, like not only how it shows Barb reconstructing what happen last night but how she paths her way to catch the thief, reminds me a lot of Fractionīs Hawkeye and that is never a bad thing.

also the fact that Barb is actually taking action over an problem, no matter how small it is, without acting like a miserable victim about it just puts it leagues ahead of Gailīs run in my opinion.

To be fair, I know my hate for Gailīs run is legendary so any comparisons that i made can be moot by others but there is one single aspect that in just this chp the writer got well that in my opinion Gail fail on every single issue of her run.

This issue was all about Barbara Gordon and it shows us who Barbara is, how she acts as a character, who her friends are, and how she works with them and what does she do. in synthesis, it show her personality, with Gailīs run, we only saw Batgirlīs personality and never actually saw who she really was underneath.
    In the first chp of Batgirl there is a mention that she is graduated on psychology and that she dated the doctor who fix her spine and its never mentioned again, As far as i know it never addressed what she is doing,is she studying? is she working?, if so where, does she know anyone or has any friends other than people who use masks, none of that is ever mention while this book is establishing itself into the character itself and who she is rather in what miserable torture-like scenario can the character be put on.

So didnt mind at all that it took 3/4s of the issue for us to see her in costume because it used that time to do something way more important.

just my 2 cents

I'd give it a tumblr/10
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mixed feelings however overall better than expected and I'm surprised to say I'll probably be buying the next issue.

Obvious problem is it's WAAAY too over the top with all the lingo and social media and gal pal stuff, that it's actually cringe-inducing to read. If they're just trying to set a firm tone and and make a splash with the Tumblr crowd out of the gate, then all good, I can understand that. But if it continues at this volume it will very quickly become a major problem - it will literally become a bad joke.

Other than that there's ALOT to like so far; actual detective work and tech-savvy, a genuine personality for Barbara, a distinctive artistic style and dense read, snappy plotting, a solid supporting cast and a sense of place and time. They've absolutely nailed all of these things. Just got to dial back all the scene kid stuff.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Awesome issue. About time Batgirl gets some good treament in the new 52. Writing was very well done. I don't get the gripes about the "over the top" hip lingo/social media vibe. This books is suppose to be targeting an audience who is very heavily involved in those types of things. It's not targeting middle aged men. It makes sense that those things would be included into a book about the 'hipster' part of the Gotham. I'd say it's going to be something that's used a lot in this series, and I welcome that.

Tarr's art and Stewart's layouts are a breath of fresh are compared to most of the dreaded house style that DC is known for. Good for them for starting to get unique artists for the visions of their books. Hope this line of thinking branches out further than the Batline.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I don't get the gripes about the "over the top" hip lingo/social media vibe.
    I have seen times when this kind of things has been done badly, but it really worked here. As a man nearing middle age I really enjoyed this. I have nothing against the so-called house style, but I agree, this was a breath of fresh air.

One question, maybe this is something from Simone's run, but why does Batgirl's friend call her GBG or something like that?

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this book is not for me.

I like the art, but it is obviously geared toward younger girls, and that is awesome. I hope it finds great success with that market.

I had hoped my younger daughter would like it ( she is 7..I know, it says TEEN right on the front) and I'm sure she will...when I get her the trade in 5 years! ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I have seen times when this kind of things has been done badly, but it really worked here. As a man nearing middle age I really enjoyed this. I have nothing against the so-called house style, but I agree, this was a breath of fresh air.

One question, maybe this is something from Simone's run, but why does Batgirl's friend call her GBG or something like that?
    When Babs met Alysia she introduced herself as "Gordon. Barbara Gordon" hence came the GBG thing. It was terrible the first time and it was WAY overused and annoying.

well I decided to ignore my impression of the preview and bought this after I saw CBR's review and... well it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Actually is not bad at all and I can see the tween/tumblr scene going crazy for something like this. While I like the art the book is just not for a 29 year old dude, which is fine as I really hope this book sells really well. Fortunately for me I have the rest of the bat books, godspeed Batgirl I'm hoping this inspires a new generation to start reading comics and become part of one of my favorite hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Mixed feelings however overall better than expected and I'm surprised to say I'll probably be buying the next issue.

Obvious problem is it's WAAAY too over the top with all the lingo and social media and gal pal stuff, that it's actually cringe-inducing to read. If they're just trying to set a firm tone and and make a splash with the Tumblr crowd out of the gate, then all good, I can understand that. But if it continues at this volume it will very quickly become a major problem - it will literally become a bad joke.

Other than that there's ALOT to like so far; actual detective work and tech-savvy, a genuine personality for Barbara, a distinctive artistic style and dense read, snappy plotting, a solid supporting cast and a sense of place and time. They've absolutely nailed all of these things. Just got to dial back all the scene kid stuff.

That sums it up.

Didn't see this shared here yet, so...

http://www.newsarama.com/22363-new-c...tgirl-era.html

I loved Simone's Batgirl so I was sad to see her run end. I prefer the darker comics so when I saw the preview for this I wasn't happy about the new direction, but since I enjoyed the Batgirl book with Stephanie and this looked similar I decided to give it a chance. I didn't really care for the new direction. I have never seen that show Girls, but I have heard about it and seen some quick clips and that is what I felt this book was trying to be and that is what killed it for me. The new team is trying to cater to the young tumblr woman who has money troubles, boy trouble, school stress, and trying to get their her rocky 20's. Not just tumblr users, but it felt like just younger average college aged women too. I normally don't care if I can relate to a book or not because if it is good I will read it, but in this case I can't. This feels like pandering on a Marvel level. I feel like one reason DC is doing a different direction with this book because many Social Justice Warriors on tumblr don't like them so this and Gotham Academy really speak to those kind of women. I find tumblr users to be annoying and the whole tone of the book just looks like it will be annoying and uninteresting to me. I nejoy reading things that are meant for women such as Coffin Hill, Pretty Little Liars, DNAngel, and Sailor Moon as I can find those interesting for their story and characters without having to be a woman. However with this I get the feeling it is kind of going to be fan service in a way for young women. The vibe I was already getting was stuff like "OMG I totally have problems with my insurance like Dinah did and I wish the last guy I brought back to my place was as hot as the one Barbra brought.", but it is good DC is branching off and making books different kind of women will want to read.

However I wouldn't say it was a bad issue, just not written for someone like me and that is fine. We still have Batgirl in Eternal, Batwoman, and maybe Blu bird will get her own ongoing. If this new Batgirl is going to bring in some new readers who normally wouldn't read Batgirl and maybe bring them slowly into the DCU then I guess I can deal with the change lol.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Didn't see this shared here yet, so...

http://www.newsarama.com/22363-new-c...tgirl-era.html
    Our first arc represents her response to said change and sees her exploring ways to buoy her spirit. She doesn't always make the right decisions in her quest but the unusual path she takes will ultimately help her find her true north again.

I am happy to say I thought this was phenomenal, a superior comic book in every sense and up there with the best DC has put out in years.

My first reaction is that this was absolutely loaded with content. Took me 2-3 times as long to read as the average comic book, and it was refreshing to actually feel like you got a full story in a single issue. There wasn't really wasted space either, pacing was fine and it didn't feel like anything was lingering too long. I totally felt like I got my money's worth.

Art was extremely good in every sense. Tarr is wonderful at facial expressions and draws very natural looking characters that look like real people with personality. There is also a fun quirkiness with her art that is very appropriate for Batgirl. Tarr feels just as comfortable drawing Batgirl in costume fighting as she does Babs talking on the couch, and that's a must for a book like this, and impressive considering this is her first comics work. The coloring is beautiful and the lettering is fantastic throughout, Fletcher is one of the best letterers in the industry for sure and always meets a really high standard.

In particular with the art, Stewart did an amazing job with the storytelling layouts, and the fashion displayed throughout the issue was wonderful to behold. The book really looked like something that would connect with an outside audience and reflected trendy youth culture today. Stewart created a very dense and complex yet readable comic. The way the technology (app screens, e-mails and texts, etc) were interspersed with the art was very smooth. I don't know if Stewart or Tarr (or both) were responsible for dressing these characters, but bravo, it just looked soooo good. The detail put into everything, like actual logos for all the original brands, was incredible and really added depth to the world.

I thought the writing was very solid and better than I expected. There is a lot of talk centered on technology, cell phones, apps, etc...but hey, this is really how young people talk and interact today. I liked that the technology was important and relevant for the story and really pushed the story forward. You could not tell this same story in any other decade. This is different and much better the typical DC or Marvel comic with teens where they just throw out terms like Twitter and YouTube but for no real reason. The technology and modes of communication were the entire point here.

Characterization was solid. Babs clearly feels de-aged and a bit less mature, but given how completely dreary and miserable her world had become during Simone's run, I'm fine with that. DC tried to have their cake and eat it too with the New 52, coming up with these awkward attempts to make characters more youthful but bring along their continuity baggage. This new Babs feels younger and stripped of continuity and is all the better for it. She still has her intelligence and her spunk and I am fine if she makes some careless mistakes (getting too drunk, not backing up her files, etc) as IMO that makes her relatable. I really liked Black Canary here and hope she sticks along. Alysia felt less obnoxious and I would be okay with her sticking along as Babs' friend from across town. I thought Babs' new roommates and friends were a little interchangeable but I suppose they will get more character development (or fall to the background) as the story continues, and given how overwhelmingly good I thought everything else was, I don't really care if that's the story's one minor flaw. The script was fine, dialogue for everyone felt natural and appropriate.

I thought Riot Black was a blast and I hope the team continues to create new villains. One of the best parts of this issue was how they just threw away all the past baggage and jumped headfirst into everything, so I don't really want to see too many older villains. I'd be interested in seeing this creative team eventually try their hand at a couple of classic rogues, but definitely all-new for a long time.

Great, great, great issue. It truly emphasized the best parts of comic books (using unique art design with lots of personality to tell a story) and I genuinely believe this would be entertaining to a vastly different audience than most of what DC puts out. Hopefully this is the future of DC Comics because I cannot stress enough how much better I thought this was than nearly the entire rest of their line.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

All-New Member

I think they should have called this "The New Hip & Trendy Adventures of #Batgirl FIRST ISSUE!!" and published it alongside the ongoing New 52 Batgirl comic as an out-of-continuity book. It's just too jarring to fit in with the rest of the DCU/Bat-line...

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I am happy to say I thought this was phenomenal, a superior comic book in every sense and up there with the best DC has put out in years.

My first reaction is that this was absolutely loaded with content. Took me 2-3 times as long to read as the average comic book, and it was refreshing to actually feel like you got a full story in a single issue. There wasn't really wasted space either, pacing was fine and it didn't feel like anything was lingering too long. I totally felt like I got my money's worth.

Art was extremely good in every sense. Tarr is wonderful at facial expressions and draws very natural looking characters that look like real people with personality. There is also a fun quirkiness with her art that is very appropriate for Batgirl. Tarr feels just as comfortable drawing Batgirl in costume fighting as she does Babs talking on the couch, and that's a must for a book like this, and impressive considering this is her first comics work. The coloring is beautiful and the lettering is fantastic throughout, Fletcher is one of the best letterers in the industry for sure and always meets a really high standard.

In particular with the art, Stewart did an amazing job with the storytelling layouts, and the fashion displayed throughout the issue was wonderful to behold. The book really looked like something that would connect with an outside audience and reflected trendy youth culture today. Stewart created a very dense and complex yet readable comic. The way the technology (app screens, e-mails and texts, etc) were interspersed with the art was very smooth. I don't know if Stewart or Tarr (or both) were responsible for dressing these characters, but bravo, it just looked soooo good. The detail put into everything, like actual logos for all the original brands, was incredible and really added depth to the world.

I thought the writing was very solid and better than I expected. There is a lot of talk centered on technology, cell phones, apps, etc...but hey, this is really how young people talk and interact today. I liked that the technology was important and relevant for the story and really pushed the story forward. You could not tell this same story in any other decade. This is different and much better the typical DC or Marvel comic with teens where they just throw out terms like Twitter and YouTube but for no real reason. The technology and modes of communication were the entire point here.

Characterization was solid. Babs clearly feels de-aged and a bit less mature, but given how completely dreary and miserable her world had become during Simone's run, I'm fine with that. DC tried to have their cake and eat it too with the New 52, coming up with these awkward attempts to make characters more youthful but bring along their continuity baggage. This new Babs feels younger and stripped of continuity and is all the better for it. She still has her intelligence and her spunk and I am fine if she makes some careless mistakes (getting too drunk, not backing up her files, etc) as IMO that makes her relatable. I really liked Black Canary here and hope she sticks along. Alysia felt less obnoxious and I would be okay with her sticking along as Babs' friend from across town. I thought Babs' new roommates and friends were a little interchangeable but I suppose they will get more character development (or fall to the background) as the story continues, and given how overwhelmingly good I thought everything else was, I don't really care if that's the story's one minor flaw. The script was fine, dialogue for everyone felt natural and appropriate.

I thought Riot Black was a blast and I hope the team continues to create new villains. One of the best parts of this issue was how they just threw away all the past baggage and jumped headfirst into everything, so I don't really want to see too many older villains. I'd be interested in seeing this creative team eventually try their hand at a couple of classic rogues, but definitely all-new for a long time.

Great, great, great issue. It truly emphasized the best parts of comic books (using unique art design with lots of personality to tell a story) and I genuinely believe this would be entertaining to a vastly different audience than most of what DC puts out. Hopefully this is the future of DC Comics because I cannot stress enough how much better I thought this was than nearly the entire rest of their line.
    Good to see you enjoying a Batbook again Sombrero

Agree with almost all of your points, I just hope they can integrate the social media/Gen Y scene stuff more subtly and naturally as the series progresses. However you're right in that it's much of what makes this issue at least work on a plot level. Just hope they don't rely on it for too long.