Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default BATGIRL #35 Preview/Discussion

VIA The A.V. Club

Barbara Gordon is no stranger to dusting herself off when disaster strikes... so when a fire destroys everything she owned, she spots the opportunity for a new lease on life - and seizes it! Following the rest of Gotham's young adults to the hip border district of Burnside, Barbara sets about building an all-new Batgirl... and discovers all-new threats preying on her peers! It's a re-invention of Batgirl from the boots up, by the incredible creative team of Cameron Stewart (BATMAN INC.), Brenden Fletcher (WEDNESDAY COMICS), and rising star Babs Tarr!

Full article here.

Is it me or is this kinda similar to Marvel's Hawkeye book?

BANNED

Honestly, this just sounds like an attempt to establish a major shift in tone. It looks like the rest of the issue is going to centered around being a detective and fighting off street crime. You just have to accept that this is a vastly different Barbara Gordon and just go with it. It wouldn't be the first time that a comic book character has changed personality with a different creative team.

Extraordinary Member

Anyway, on to non-divisive matters, I actually love that they're really flushing out Gotham, the city. The addition of a "hipster" neighborhood really tells the readers that Gotham isn't just one single body, all of which is dark and shadowy and crime-ridden. Like all cities, Gotham has many sides to it.

whoa my comment got blown WAY out of proportion, my problems are:

1. that's not Babs, that has never been Babs, it just feels weird. At the same time I understand this is new52 (when can we drop the new? been 3 years now) and while I understand it's a new universe... I guess I just gotta get used to it

2. this reads like Marvel's Hawkeye. The 10 page preview cemented it down further Hawkeye is really popular so I'm sure money wise DC won't care. But me as a fan, this just isn't why I read bat books

the whole avatar/consent debate has nothing to do with me.

Amazing Member

Love it love it love it love it love it!!!
    Subscribed on Comixology. This is going to be a good run :-)

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tedbragg View Post
    Love it love it love it love it love it!!!
    Subscribed on Comixology. This is going to be a good run :-)
    Cannot agree with this more!

Wow, quite the change in artwork.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

The first impression I had of this one left me cold so I'm out. That being said I'm glad to see them trying to lighten up this corner of the Batverse and I hope that others will enjoy the new direction even if I don't care for it.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Loved the art

So far like the writing and look forward to this new direction.

I actually thought it hammered home the message of what can happen if a person drinks to much with out being preachy.

This looks good, the only thing that bothers me a bit is Frankie. Im just not a big fan of when they introduce new characters as past friends we just never heard or seen before. Not a big deal though, and Frankie might very well turn out to be a decent supporting character.

Also i have read way too much of this comic as "preview". I know i kind of shot myself in the foot in that regard, but still.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That was my problem with it. I'm not naive enough to think that she wouldn't ever do something of the sort but to be shown that right out the gate is a problem and not at all a good first impression to come away with IMHO. It feels like Babs is trying to hard to be a normal person here and that maybe she's letting her new friends influence her a bit too much. Alyssa didn't have this much "control" over her actions in the past and now suddenly she wants to do as these new, cool friends of hers do so that they will think she's cool as well? It smacks of her having confidence issues among other things. Sorry, I'd find it more believable if she had been acting this way since the reboot started or even before it but since she hasn't been "acting her age" before this point it just comes off as being really out of character to me.
    If the current creative team was in charge since the first issue, there would probably be no issues with her being out of character.

Not that I mind, based on this preveiw. Those of you who have a problem with this; let me ask, have you folks been reading the previous run? With all due respect to Ms. Simone, this is probably going to be the best issue of Batgirl since the reboot started. No more SAD Babs, weeping in her herbal tea over the Joker and James. No more endless internal monologues. No more art that's over saturated with purple. How are you guys not geeking out over this after what came before?

I really liked the part when Babs chased the thief and how her memory factored into that sequence.
    However, I couldn't care less for the rest of what I've seen in the preview. Smartphones, partying, hangovers - seems a little out of character, but let's see where this is going.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

BANNED

I think DC should have reset the numbering on this. It's a completely different creative team with a different take on the character, a completely different art style, and a very different tone. It seems like it should be a new book altogether.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralblue View Post
    Not that I mind, based on this preveiw. Those of you who have a problem with this; let me ask, have you folks been reading the previous run? With all due respect to Ms. Simone, this is probably going to be the best issue of Batgirl since the reboot started. No more SAD Babs, weeping in her herbal tea over the Joker and James. No more endless internal monologues. No more art that's over saturated with purple. How are you guys not geeking out over this after what came before?
    That! So much that. That damn coloring with its overuse of purple. It made every artist's work look the same.