Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I know she's a big deal. I just mean she's not as big a deal as the main team, or Wolverine, or Magneto. To justify JLaw she almost needs to be in a major role for every film she's in. I don't think you can justify her being a focal point character that often. Maybe they can take some time off and reintroduce her with the New Brotherhood as a major villain.
    This is where I disagree. Mystique is one of the X-Men's greatest villains because she is so smart and ruthless. Plus, IIRC, she's never been captured. Being able to blend in anywhere helps. Not having major ties to the movie X-Men the way she does the comic X-Men, I liked that the writers wrote her in as Magneto's lover and Charles' kind-of-foster-sister. I was fine with that because that is in line with Mystique's character, a villain that members of the X-Men sometimes want to trust, but can't because she is so freaking untrustworthy.

It would be like if the Juggernaut was played by Daniel Day Lewis and they centered a film around him. But then they decided to keep him on board and make him a central piece in the franchise piece because who he is played by.
    I think most fans would be okay with seeing more Juggernaut if played by a great actor. Heroes need great villains like Magneto, Mystique, and Juggernaut. Also, more Juggernaut would make sense as he is Charles' half brother in the comics.

Maneto's had a major role in all 5 X-Men films (minus the Wolverine spinoff). But that's Magneto. Likewise, Mystique's appeared in all 5 films. She got a large role in First Class, but Xavier and Magneto were the real story focuses. She was upgraded to their level in DOFP.
    Are you really criticizing Mystique's major role in DOFP, a comic story that not only introduced Mystique to the X-Men universe, but established her as a major player? Of course fans expect Mystique to have a major role in DOFP. Not having a major role for Mystique in DOFP would be like Pheonix not having a major role in the Dark Pheonix Saga.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    This is where I disagree. Mystique is one of the X-Men's greatest villains because she is so smart and ruthless. Plus, IIRC, she's never been captured. Being able to blend in anywhere helps. Not having major ties to the movie X-Men the way she does the comic X-Men, I liked that the writers wrote her in as Magneto's lover and Charles' kind-of-foster-sister. I was fine with that because that is in line with Mystique's character, a villain that members of the X-Men sometimes want to trust, but can't because she is so freaking untrustworthy.

I think most fans would be okay with seeing more Juggernaut if played by a great actor. Heroes need great villains like Magneto, Mystique, and Juggernaut. Also, more Juggernaut would make sense as he is Charles' half brother in the comics.

Are you really criticizing Mystique's major role in DOFP, a comic story that not only introduced Mystique to the X-Men universe, but established her as a major player? Of course fans expect Mystique to have a major role in DOFP. Not having a major role for Mystique in DOFP would be like Pheonix not having a major role in the Dark Pheonix Saga.
    No I'm saying that she shouldn't be the focus that she was in DOFP in every single X-Men film going forward. Which imo is the only way to justify Jennifer Lawrence having the role in every film going forward. No one disputes that she's one of the major X-Men villains. But she's not Magneto who has a story arc and rivalry with the team that defines them in so many ways that he could theoretically be the main villain in every single movie the same way Luthor could be the main villain in every Superman movie if the filmmakers wanted.

Just like as big of a character as Juggernaut is, he's not big enough to warrant being the primary or a primary continuously in the series the same way Magneto is. You could make a film with Magneto as the main baddie. But doing it with the next one would be a stretch.

Ever since Jennifer Lawrence took the role the character's become the childhood ally of Charles Xavier, a founding member of the X-Men team, one of the founding member's of Magneto's faction of the Brotherhood, and even in the film version of DOFP she got a more significant role and more character work than she got in the actual comic story. She's already way overplayed in terms of importance.

I don't think she needs to be as important as she's been thus far, since JLaw took the role, in a film about Apocalypse or a dozen other films. She just doesn't need to be there in a major capacity every time. Nor do I think she should be. Magneto gets to because he's Magneto. He's the Lex Luthor, Joker, Doctor Doom, Green Goblin in the hierarchy of X-Men villains. He's in that mix and probably a top 5 all time comic book villain with those characters. Mystique isn't. I can't see them using her in the capacity they have in every film going forward. And I doubt they will. And I doubt Jennifer Lawrence will stay on as that turns out to be the case, unless it's on a she approves the script or she doesn't play basis.

And really comparing Pheonix's role to the DPS and Mysitique's to DOFP is really night and day. Yeah they were both the primary villain. Difference was Jean as Pheonix was all over that, the character of the Pheonix was the primary character of the arc, and the main crux of the entire conflict. And all the emotional resonance was dependent on Pheonix. Mystique wasn't so important in DOFP that you couldn't replace he with another villain and get the same effect of the story. It might not work as well, but she wasn't the lynchpin of that story, the concept was. However in the film DOFP she was treated the same way Pheonix was in DPS (hell even more so than Pheonix actually was in X3's adaptation of it). Which I don't necessarily have problem with, just that I don't see it feasible to keep using he that way.

Spectacular Member Holland Oates's Avatar

Mystique needs to take a back seat after this film. The X-Men films need to focus on actual members of the X-Men, which she is not. Regarding Cyclops, I think Jeremy Irvine should take over the role.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    No I'm saying that she shouldn't be the focus that she was in DOFP in every single X-Men film going forward. Which imo is the only way to justify Jennifer Lawrence having the role in every film going forward. No one disputes that she's one of the major X-Men villains. But she's not Magneto who has a story arc and rivalry with the team that defines them in so many ways that he could theoretically be the main villain in every single movie the same way Luthor could be the main villain in every Superman movie if the filmmakers wanted.
    Correct, she isn't Magneto. She's been taking a back seat to Magneto for all of the team based X-Men movies until this one. Now Mystique is the major player in the movies that she always was in the comics as one of the X-Men's deadliest enemies.

Btw, you can write Mystique as a major baddie in every movie every bit as much as you can Magneto. She's that smart and deadly. Look at X-Men Evolution. She was used for more often than Magneto, caused all sorts of havoc for the team, and it was awesome.

Ever since Jennifer Lawrence took the role the character's become the childhood ally of Charles Xavier, a founding member of the X-Men team, one of the founding member's of Magneto's faction of the Brotherhood, and even in the film version of DOFP she got a more significant role and more character work than she got in the actual comic story.
    Actually, I commend the writers for making movie Mystique as important in the movies as she is in the comics. She now has close personal ties to the X-Men and remains one of their deadliest enemies, just like the comic.

I don't think she needs to be as important as she's been thus far, since JLaw took the role, in a film about Apocalypse or a dozen other films. She just doesn't need to be there in a major capacity every time. Nor do I think she should be. Magneto gets to because he's Magneto. He's the Lex Luthor, Joker, Doctor Doom, Green Goblin in the hierarchy of X-Men villains. He's in that mix and probably a top 5 all time comic book villain with those characters. Mystique isn't. I can't see them using her in the capacity they have in every film going forward. And I doubt they will. And I doubt Jennifer Lawrence will stay on as that turns out to be the case, unless it's on a she approves the script or she doesn't play basis.
    True, Mystique isn't one of the top 5 villains of all time. But she easily is in the top 5 of X-Men villains. I'd place her at 4, behind Magneto, Apocolypse, and Sentinels.

And really comparing Pheonix's role to the DPS and Mysitique's to DOFP is really night and day. Yeah they were both the primary villain. Difference was Jean as Pheonix was all over that, the character of the Pheonix was the primary character of the arc, and the main crux of the entire conflict. And all the emotional resonance was dependent on Pheonix. Mystique wasn't so important in DOFP that you couldn't replace he with another villain and get the same effect of the story. It might not work as well, but she wasn't the lynchpin of that story, the concept was. However in the film DOFP she was treated the same way Pheonix was in DPS (hell even more so than Pheonix actually was in X3's adaptation of it). Which I don't necessarily have problem with, just that I don't see it feasible to keep using he that way.
    Nope, it could not have been any mutant that created and led the new Brotherhood in the killing of Senator Kelly. It could only have been Mystique whom created a deadlier version of the Brotherhood than Magneto's. It was could only have been Mystique who led them in nearly assassinating Kelly despite the X-Men's interference.

It was due to Mystique's leadership that the Brotherhood has able to give major headaches to both the Avengers and the X-Men in some of both teams' most famous fights. I like how the movies now have tied her to Magneto and Xavier. It makes sense and establishes her as a major baddie with ties to the X-Men, just like she is in the comics.

Saying otherwise is like saying Shocker could have been the one who discovered Pete's identity and killed Gwen Stacy instead of Green Goblin. It's an insult to Green Goblin. Saying any mutant could have rebuilt the Brotherhood is equally an insult to Mystique. It simply isn't true. Not even Magneto accomplished as much with his Brotherhood as Mystique has accomplished with hers.

Astonishing Member

I love Mystique and I hope her popularity would also translate to comics

Here's my question, Halle Berry was the top actress in the world when this franchise was still in it's early installments but yet her character Storm (an actual member of the team) didn't get nearly a big push as Jennifer Lawrences Mystique is now. Why are they trying so hard to capitalize on her popularity now and why didn't they do it with the Storm Character then?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer009 View Post
    Here's my question, Halle Berry was the top actress in the world when this franchise was still in it's early installments but yet her character Storm (an actual member of the team) didn't get nearly a big push as Jennifer Lawrences Mystique is now. Why are they trying so hard to capitalize on her popularity now and why didn't they do it with the Storm Character then?
    Because they were focusing on Stewart, Jackman, and McKellen, whose parts of Xavier, Wolverine, and Magneto were far more important to get right than Storm. If those three weren't right in the first movies, the fandom would have gone bananas.

Now that Stewart, Jackman, McKellen, as while as McAvoy and Fassbender, are fully established in their roles, the focus can shift to others. Mystique is a compelling character and with the fact that they have an academy award winner whom actually is acting like she enjoys this role (let's face it, Berry never seemed to be enthusiastic about playing Storm), and we have a natural fit. It's lightning in a bottle. Lawrence made people notice her in X-Men: First Class. Berry got noticed when she had her shot too, but for the wrong reasons.

And then Catwoman happened. The rest is history.

What exactly does Catwoman have to do with X-Men franchise? And I've heard the contrary concerning Jennifer and her role as Mystique I thought she really has no intention on continuing her role as the character, while Berry has been in 4 of the 7 movies. Sure Mystique is a compelling character but is she nearly as important as say Storm or Cyclops? Or even Rouge and Nightcrawler.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

They didn't seem to know what to do with Storm. The first movie she was like some Shakespearean reject loudly declaring "What happens to a Toad..." then she sort of settled for just being American in the second one and flying the jet and didn't get an ok wig until the third movie. I hope they get a good Storm and she gets a solo movie after this. It would be cool.
    I'll suggest Keke Palmer just because I like her on talkshows. She's so personable.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I can't wait till another director besides Singer hops on board.
    They've had two other directors already. One turned out a terrible movie that still made a lot of money and one turned out a decent movie that didn't make any money.
    Singer makes x-movies with good reviews and good money (and not much else).

This Luke Bracey guy that Marsden suggests looks older than 25 but does look good for Cyclops. I'd be fine with it.
    luke-bracey-gi-joe-retaliation-la-premiere_3580229.jpg
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 10-04-2014 at 07:25 AM.

I like Keke she's a cuties but I can't see her as the goddess. I would have Ciara as my ideal Ororo.

images.jpg
    imagesCA6V5D93.jpg
    imagesCAIJOEGW.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    They didn't seem to know what to do with Storm. The first movie she was like some Shakespearean reject loudly declaring "What happens to a Toad..." then she sort of settled for just being American in the second one and flying the jet and didn't get an ok wig until the third movie. I hope they get a good Storm and she gets a solo movie after this. It would be cool.
    I'll suggest Keke Palmer just because I like her on talkshows. She's so personable.

They've had two other directors already. One turned out a terrible movie that still made a lot of money and one turned out a decent movie that didn't make any money.
    Singer makes x-movies with good reviews and good money (and not much else).

This Luke Bracey guy that Marsden suggests looks older than 25 but does look good for Cyclops. I'd be fine with it.
    luke-bracey-gi-joe-retaliation-la-premiere_3580229.jpg
    Very Hunnam-esque.

And, would she dye/highlight silver, or wear a wig, if Ororo?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer009 View Post
    What exactly does Catwoman have to do with X-Men franchise?
    It's when Berry went from Academy Award winner to Razzy winner. Her stock as an actress plummeted ever since that movie. That's one of the reasons Berry was never the focus of an X-Men movie. The other reason is because Berry never seemed to really care about the role. Either that, or she's a really bad actress.

Sure Mystique is a compelling character but is she nearly as important as say Storm or Cyclops? Or even Rouge and Nightcrawler.
    The X-Men need good, strong, smart villains to overcome, or you have mediocre movies like the Fantastic Four movies. Magneto provides that. So does Mystique. I like how she is being used. She is a legitimate threat to the team and to humanity.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    And, would she dye/highlight silver, or wear a wig, if Ororo?
    Last I saw Keke had cut her hair real short, so probably need to wear a wig.
    Hallie wore wigs for the movie, Beyonce does just in everyday life.

Although Cheeno Grey dyes her hair like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    It's when Berry went from Academy Award winner to Razzy winner. Her stock as an actress plummeted ever since that movie. That's one of the reasons Berry was never the focus of an X-Men movie. The other reason is because Berry never seemed to really care about the role. Either that, or she's a really bad actress.
    Uh, no. She was constantly pushing for Storm to do more in the films and to fly to satisfy fans of the series. The problem was the writers didn't seem to get the character and Halle Berry can't play someone that's both motherly and alpha; she usually plays sexpots and vulnerable women so it was a miscast, but again, they didn't get the character anyway. I think Bryan Singer admitted that himself at one point. But then most of the X-Men barely resemble their comic counterparts.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Singer only ever really cared about the Xavier/Magneto conflict anyway. The rest is just stuff he has to put in to make his movie about them. The rest of the characters are all pretty much just window dressing to Singer.