Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

He's not touching that money because whatever he spends (or has already spent) he knows his parents will make him pay back. So he's only using what he earns once again.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Man, I don't even know what to think. Johns has been near universally crap since after Blackest Night, but this looks solid (with the exception of the "I'm always aloooooone" bit. I agree Superman should be alienated and all, but c'mon). I genuinely have no idea what to expect from this, though I'm glad that it (along with Doomed) establishes right away that Luthor hasn't been reformed at all and is just pulling the public's strings. As long as he doesn't write Broodman like he had been in JL and just does big dumb action stuff, I think I can happily live with this. And it'll look just fine too, though this is far from Romita's best work.

Sadly, pretty sure the bit with trunks was a mistake. It's happened before:

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    I'm sorry but in this day and age of realistic comics you just can't have a giant gorilla robot. That's not realistic.
    Don't remember you from the old forums offhand, so I can't really determine your seriousness. But please please please please please please please please please please please please please please PLEASE be joking.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yup. They did a 180 there, no real indication he's had many run-ins with Superman at all in this continuity.
    Actually, that has been stated a few times, what with Jimmy calling Superman his pal a few times, Lex Luthor calling Jimmy Sup's pal in Unchained, and The Legion being and him knowing one another in Morrison's AC . So, yeah, they're pretty good friends.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Forgot about those things but will take your word for it, I stand corrected.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Man, I don't even know what to think. Johns has been near universally crap since after Blackest Night, but this looks solid (with the exception of the "I'm always aloooooone" bit. I agree Superman should be alienated and all, but c'mon). I genuinely have no idea what to expect from this, though I'm glad that it (along with Doomed) establishes right away that Luthor hasn't been reformed at all and is just pulling the public's strings. As long as he doesn't write Broodman like he had been in JL and just does big dumb action stuff, I think I can happily live with this. And it'll look just fine too, though this is far from Romita's best work.

Sadly, pretty sure the bit with trunks was a mistake. It's happened before:

Don't remember you from the old forums offhand, so I can't really determine your seriousness. But please please please please please please please please please please please please please please PLEASE be joking.
    Don't worry I am joking.

I'm sorry but in this day and age of realistic comics you just can't have a giant gorilla robot. That's not realistic.
    But thankfully we can, and we do! Giant gorilla robots and other wacky concepts make DC more fun. I wouldn't want a DC without them.

Just got to check this out. JrJr's pencils are pretty...um, rough here, or is that maybe Janson's fault?
    Last edited by thewarning; 05-15-2014 at 10:54 AM.

I'm debating whether or not to try the series with the new team.
    - I'm not a big fan of Geoff Johns' Superman. I hated Secret Origins, and thought some of this other Superman writing was just okay. His pre-Flashpoint Barry Allen series was dull. On the other hand, he's done some excellent work with the Justice Society and early Green Lantern (I thought he was never as good after Blackest Night), so the potential for strong storytelling is there. Johns can do it, depending on the character I guess.
    - I've wanted to see JRJR draw DC characters for years. I really enjoyed his Batman/Punisher crossover book, but that's all that's coming to mind as far as DC characters go. He finally does, and it's Superman of all characters, but it's the awful New 52 costume and status quo. Sometimes you can't win for losing.
    - I still hate the New 52 Superman outfit. That's certainly a factor. Do I really want to look at that awful design? If the book is good enough, I'd put up with it.
    - If the price on the book goes up to 3.99 with the new creative team, that'll decide it for me. It'll be a firm no. I'm tired of $4.00 comic books.

So, we'll see. I'd like to buy and read Superman again, but I'll have to wait until the book shows up and make the call then.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    If the price on the book goes up to 3.99 with the new creative team, that'll decide it for me. It'll be a firm no. I'm tired of $4.00 comic books.
    It is $4. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It is $4. Sorry.
    I knew it. Well, that's an easy choice then.

Astonishing Member

What, they're bumping this to 3.99????

Gonna pass too.

Amazing Member

art looks real good, but i think i'm gonna trade wait this, see how others receive it first. johns is very hit or miss with me.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I knew it. Well, that's an easy choice then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    What, they're bumping this to 3.99????

Gonna pass too.
    Happy to help.

Extraordinary Member

The whole "realism" of comics never really referred to the bombastic sic-fi concepts that populated the DC or Marvel universes. It mostly referred to giving the heroes relatable personal lives. Superman can pound on a giant gorilla robot all he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by the Dagman View Post
    How is Jimmy supposed to starve? Didn't he just inherit close to a billion dollars?
    Its explained in the preview. He doesn't want to spend his parents' money.

So I feel like I've been one of the more vocal posters when it comes to expressing my....lack of faith.....in Johns' Superman. I've tried not to beat a dead horse, especially since the issue itself still hasn't shipped, but anyone who knows me here will know how much I've feared Johns coming aboard and potentially screwing up what Pak and Soule are building from what Morrison established. Johns, after all, was the chief architect of WoNK and his take on Clark in the New52 JL hasn't been anything special either.

That said....

This preview did, just a tiny bit, alleviate some of my concerns. Johns making a point out of Jimmy's financial situation was a welcome sight, as it shows that Johns might not completely ignore things he doesnt like (as he often has in the past) and if the conversation with Perry turns into Clark re-joining the Planet in some capacity to take down Lex....well, that's about as good as any reason for that inevitable return to the classic status quo. I still have reservations, especially since Clarkcatropolis.com has grown and Edge still owns the Planet and everything Clark railed against when he quit is still in play. These are plot points that have yet to be explored really, and I feel like someone should before Clark returns to the Planet. But if anything would make him drop it all and go back to work with Perry, it'd be taking down Lex. This might also explore some of the fallout from Forever Evil, and actually seeing the repercussions play out instead of an instant return to normal is always welcome.

Not thrilled by the price. However, the preview might have earned this run a single issue to impress, and then perhaps a trade wait. Maybe. I'm far more wary of Johns taking on the character than anything, I still dont trust him with Superman, but at least these few pages weren't a complete train wreck. So perhaps I'll be proven wrong.

Romita's art is about what I expected it to be. I dont mind his work, though it's far from my favorite, and he draws everything (especially Jim) with a retro style that is not very complimentary. But on the art side of things, I've never worried much about Romita. Could be a lot worse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.