Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

This has my interest now. I had forgotten about that bit. Seems like whomever he was dealing with in the future knew who he really was. Looking forward to this

Astonishing Member

Time travel, it never has any sense. Do you think we will see this SpOck as a "time duplicate" that now lives in year 2099 or soething? You know, like when Immortus duplicated the original Human Torch android into two bodies or something.

BANNED

Seems a bit of a stretch premise-wise, but given that Bleeding Cool has made some pretty accurate decisions as of late, I think this has some merit.

Although I would prefer to have Matt Fraction on a regular Spider-Man title featuring Peter rather than on a title featuring Doc Ock.

The problem though if you make it a ongoing series set in 2099, is that SpOck wouldn't interact with anyone of Peter's cast, which was a huge/major point of Superior Spider-Man. Like if you set a series for over 3 issues where SpOck is in 2099, after the initial appeal of him being in the future goes away, what exactly would you tell that's gonna be different from the ongoing 2099 by PAD and Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    The problem though if you make it a ongoing series set in 2099, is that SpOck wouldn't interact with anyone of Peter's cast, which was a huge/major point of Superior Spider-Man. Like if you set a series for over 3 issues where SpOck is in 2099, after the initial appeal of him being in the future goes away, what exactly would you tell that's gonna be different from the ongoing 2099 by PAD and Amazing Spider-Man?
    Doc Ock in 2099 has some merit. I mean, just think about it. Otto is a character who takes great pride in science, scientific accomplishment, and being on the cutting edge of it. Push him into the future where, science wise, he's an antiquated relic who's long since been surpassed. His native intelligence will help with that somewhat, but I think there's some merit to exploring what someone like that would do when thrust into a situation where they are hopelessly outmoded.

Watching Otto have to deal with that would be some fun.

That said, I don't see this as an on-going.

There's also some irony in Otto replacing Spidey 2099. xD

Just think of the mess he'll leave poor Miguel.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-08-2014 at 11:06 PM.

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Do you think we will see this SpOck as a "time duplicate" that now lives in year 2099 or something?
    Yeah, this is what I think will happen, and I also think it has an interesting premise.

We can see SpOck struggling to prove he's smart, in a world of advanced ideas and technology.

Though, he probably won't struggle much. Would just be funny to see him frustrated that everyone is smarter than him.
    Last edited by The Amazing Spider-Man; 05-09-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Hell, this is my problem with the upcoming 2099 book too. Why is he in the present day? His supporting cast is in the year 2099. A huge part of the appeal of the original 2099 book was the setting, the environment, the supporting cast. Even with PAD, I don't have high hopes for the new book unless he gets back to the future asap.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

OH. MY. GOSH.

First off, I'm totally sold on this.

Secondly ... Spider-Ock is in the future. Spider-Ock figures out how to rejuvenate his original body using future science. Spider-Ock STEALS HIS OWN BODY from the grave after his return to the present, has it in a tank somewhere regenerating as a backup plan in case things go awry as Spider-Man, and uploads his mind into the Living Brain after relinquishing Peter's body.

Maybe? Maybe not?
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    OH. MY. GOSH.

Secondly ... Spider-Ock is in the future. Spider-Ock figures out how to rejuvenate his original body using future science. Spider-Ock STEALS HIS OWN BODY from the grave after his return to the present, has it in a tank somewhere regenerating as a backup plan in case things go awry as Spider-Man, and uploads his mind into the Living Brain after relinquishing Peter's body.

Maybe? Maybe not?
    I could see this.

Astonishing Member

OH. MY. GOSH.

Maybe? Maybe not?
    Interesting. Just one problem, when "SpOck" returned to his time (in case it wasn't a time clone or something), he said he didn't remember what happened? OK, he could just lying, but still.

Superior Spider-man 2099 could be a great ride, yeah, especially since we'd get 'Otto Unchecked'. I don't forsee it, as I said, as an ongoing... but as a finite story of some length? Absolutely. It could be a good way for Marvel to keep the Superior Spider-Man brand alive for now, and give them some time to see if Otto could carry a book on his own too.

BANNED

I would love to see a series delving into Spock's 2099 adventures. I just don't see Fraction being a great fit with that, though. I can see him writing a great Peter Parker but Spock, not so much.

Fantastic Member

Excited, but I'm going to wait for the announcement. Its just hard to be engaged knowing the ending, assuming this is what happens in those missing nine hours, cause then it would be essentially be a "what if" story without the conclusion of one.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    While I'd like to see more of SpOck, and Fraction's an okay fit for a title like that, I don't think this is the way to do it. For one thing, the reader knows how the story's going to end. It's essentially an untold tale that SpOck's never going to remember.
    These are my thoughts exactly on this. I would say that Slott set up something with that story so if there's a follow-up, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it but not in a full new ongoing starring a character whose story we know to end. I think a point one mini series or a arc in Amazing might be great.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

OH. MY. GOSH.

Maybe? Maybe not?
    Wouldn't he want to alter his body to look more like Peter because that's the body that Anna is in love with?