Astonishing Member

Default Can we thank Kevin Tsujihara for DC's successful foray into hollywood?

So Kevin Tsujihara came onboard on march 1st 2013 and since then,

TV;
    1. Gotham
    2. Flash
    3. Constantine
    4. iZombie

Picked up to series
    1. Static Shock
    2. Supergirl

in development
    1. Lucifer
    2. DMZ
    3. Titans
    4. Scalped

Then theres also the whole slate of DC cinematic universe

Not to mention sandman and justice league dark is also in development. This sudden catch up is fantastic and I think DC is winning on the tv front, can we give all the credit to Tsujihara?

I think so. Ever since he came on board, things have been moving fast (Plus, I think he is giving more freedom to folks at DC - when it comes to other media).

However, I do wish DC had their own studio (I know that DC entertainment makes the shows, but how about the movies?). It's fine anyways, as long as you put the right people in charge (WB execs like to play safe...well, they used to. I am not sure how it is now. A good leader can change the mindset of a company and its workers).

Edit: Don't forget the Vertigo Movies. Gaiman made it sound like there is a VCU. Plus, we have had interviews (with WB employees) where they mentioned Fables, 100 bullets and few others under development.
    Last edited by Triple J; 11-02-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Mighty Member

I have to agree.

BANNED

Tsujihara really helped put more comics tv shows on air, and he pushed the movies. Now the question is if the movies will be good

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Probably, yes. He strikes me as the guy who must have open communication channels between all levels of DCE, instead of enforcing a rigid hierarchy. That was probably the last step in getting the ball rolling.

Astonishing Member

I think so. Tsujihara used act as a liaison between Levitz and Warner Bros, so his step up to CEO probably had a lot to do with the opening of the floodgates what we've seen.

BANNED

Looks like it. Jeff Robinov always wanted to push for DC products in other media, but he didn't seem to be good at it, and quite a bit of the blame for the Green Lantern movie is laid at his shoulders. Then Tsujihara came to the fore and since then we've heard a lot more about DC things appearing in tv and movies.

Dc's vertigo movies and vertigo tv shows will probably feel like fresh air compared to the generic marvel movies. Dc's movies and tv shows also seem to change the mythology more and can have interesting takes on the comics source material.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 11-02-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Dc's vertigo movies and vertigo tv shows will probably feel like fresh air compared to the generic marvel movies. Dc's movies and tv shows also seem to change the mythology more and can have interesting takes on the comics source material.
    If you take a look at constantine, flash, arrow and mos it seems like they stayed pretty close to the source. So I think it's been doing great for now.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I mean, I would say Geoff has done as just as much work, Kevin just had the resources to make these things possible.

Incredible Member

I think we can also attribute this to:

1) The box-office numbers of The Avengers, which showed WB (and Fox, and Sony) just how much money could be made with a superhero team and a shared universe.

2) The jump in box-office from IM2 (620M) to IM3 (1.2B), which shows how the team-up film can significantly boost the box-office for a single character afterward.

3) The ratings for Arrow, Flash, and Gotham.

Who knows if Robinov would have done the same things as Tsujihara.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 11-03-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I think we can also attribute this to:

1) The box-office numbers of The Avengers, which showed WB (and Fox, and Sony) just how much money could be made with a superhero team and a shared universe.

2) The jump in box-office from IM2 (620M) to IM3 (1.2B), which shows how the team-up film can significantly boost the box-office for a single character afterward.

3) The ratings for Arrow, Flash, and Gotham.

Who knows if Robinov would have done the same things as Tsujihara.
    Yeah. I wouldn't give Tsujihara too much credit just yet.

I'd look more at what's been happening at the broader industry. The success of Marvel in film and The Walking Dead on TV probably did a lot more to get these properties greenlit for production than any one person. Look at how Sony is only now scrambling to expand the Spider-man franchise after having access to the associated properties for over a decade and toying with live action TV or how Fox is actually going to make a solo movie with a character that's not Wolverine or Universal is reviving the idea of a connected universe for their monster films. Heck I heard somebody was going to make one for Robin Hood as if anyone actually cares to see the solo adventures of Friar Tuck. Superheroes and comic book related properties are more popular than ever right now. Any executive who did not realize that would be likely to lose their job.

I'd say it was an inevitability more than anything else.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 11-03-2014 at 06:35 AM.