Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have movies based on comics increased comic sales in your opinion?

I am doing a presentation on comic book sales and if their has been an influence from the Marvel cinematic universe. Although I am sure that the movies have of course made some people interested in the source material I believe that these numbers pale in comparison to other properties that make the jump from litature to film such as Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and others. The interesting thing is that last I checked, The Avengers is the third highest grossing movie in history and to have something ike that not effect the source material readership in an impactful way is curious indeed. Any thoughts on the matter or numbers would be very much appreciated.

I don't think so. Trade volumes, yes. Not monthly comics though.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Yes.

The effect tends to be less with Marvel/ DC comics, simply because someone who liked a film may not know where to go next.

There is a significant effect with sales when one series is adapted into film or television. The Scott Pilgrim film was very good to the comics, and the Walking Dead show led to increased comic sales. One reason is that a newcomer who goes to a comics store or Barnes & Noble knows where to start (Volume One.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I don't see what anyone's opinion has to do with answering the question. Either there is evidence that the movies are positively affecting comic sales, or there isn't. And while there might be space to interpret the evidence differently depending on who's looking at it, it's not like you're asking a completely subjective question; you aren't asking us what the best Spidey costume is, where the answer is based on nothing but personal taste.

And perhaps I'm not giving enough credit to our fellow posters, but I'm not sure anyone here is privy to the kind of information that would lead you to a useful conclusion for your presentation.

I am curious, though, what your exact thesis question is: are you interested in finding out whether there's a clear change in sales, or are you focused on comparing any changes in comic sales to other mediums that have been turned into movies? These are two different questions, obviously, and I can imagine quite a different presentation depending upon which of these questions is your primary focus.

-Pav, who teaches various language-related classes...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

The people at the comics companies say there's usually a sales bump for trade collections, particularly if they have the same title. So when the title of the next Avengers movie was announced, sales of the "Age of Ultron" trade went up even though the movie is only using that book's title, not its plot. And sales of the "Watchmen" collection were of course helped a lot by the movie.

But there's no major connection between the popularity of a movie and the popularity of that character's monthly comic. Look at the sales of Iron Man and Captain America.

No, but then, that's not what they were made to do.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Τhere a little increase in interest to the general public and certainly a significant boost in trade sales,but i can't tell about monthly issues.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

A small increase sure but nothing major, if anything it's increased merchandise like statue,clothing, toys and posters.
    Straight Shot Mob

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yes.

The effect tends to be less with Marvel/ DC comics, simply because someone who liked a film may not know where to go next.

There is a significant effect with sales when one series is adapted into film or television. The Scott Pilgrim film was very good to the comics, and the Walking Dead show led to increased comic sales. One reason is that a newcomer who goes to a comics store or Barnes & Noble knows where to start (Volume One.)
    This answer summarizes it well.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I am doing a presentation on comic book sales and if their has been an influence from the Marvel cinematic universe. Although I am sure that the movies have of course made some people interested in the source material I believe that these numbers pale in comparison to other properties that make the jump from litature to film such as Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and others. The interesting thing is that last I checked, The Avengers is the third highest grossing movie in history and to have something ike that not effect the source material readership in an impactful way is curious indeed. Any thoughts on the matter or numbers would be very much appreciated.
    Whilst I agree with the general sentiment on this thread, we can't really tell the full impact because neither Marvel\DC nor Comixology release digital sales. Whilst this might not seem like much, I suspect that many new readers try digital. The only evidence I have to back this up are the sales of the new Ms. Marvel which has attracted a lot of new comics readers and has reportedly sells more in digital than it does in print - I doubt it's the old readers buying digital & the new ones trying out their LCS.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

The films are why I ended up reading thousands of comics in the first place, so. I've no idea if it's had a dramatic effect on sales figures, but it's certainly introduced new readers.

BANNED

I have no idea. And unless someone works for Marvel or DC, I doubt they know either.

I'd like to think they do, though. Especially since both companies keep doing it.

BANNED

For trades certainly. As i recall , after the first avengers movie , the infinity gauntlet tpb soared to no.1 tpb sales in amazon.com as people curious and wanted to find out more about thanos.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

I dunno, these days comics is not much more than a private hobby that I mainly continue digitally.
    I tend to buy and read comics (and comment on them here) on the couch with the ipad, while my girlfriend watches some awful soap or reality series.
    So it is not a subject that comes up much in everyday conversation.

That said, thanks to the movies there is a much broader awareness of many comic book characters. Like today all my co-workers know who Iron Man is. Ten years ago the best I could hope for was that one or two knew the Black Sabbath song.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4KpfiFcNc
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Not really wich is why it is stupid when the 616 matches itself after movie conon,Rouge can't fly,all black team costumes,ect.