• Yes

10 12.99%
  • No

67 87.01%
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaze View Post
    i was running a marvel RPG campaign, and it was constant power-abuse:

nobody used normal attacks.
    the telekinetic constantly used telekinesis to crush windpipes and strike at brains.
    the phaseshifter constantly phased and un-phased objects inside enemies' bodies.
    the teleporter constantly teleported enemies inside walls/volcanoes/concrete etc.

we quickly learned how imbecile the way marvel uses these powers is and how most "weak heroes" are just "dumb heroes" and how "powerful heroes" are just "heroes favoured by the editors" and started reading less and less comics.
    For a good description of what a society with psionics powers could be, try "To Ride Pegasus" by Anne McCaffrey.
    Last edited by Narasinha; 10-04-2014 at 02:30 PM.

BANNED

I will definitely see into it. Thanks for the rec!

And if you really need the scan from No More Humans :

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Yes she is. The only reason she gets knocked out in the comics, is because writers are incompetent and want to add more to the story. If it were reality, with Storm's godlike powers and immunity to telepathy, most of these stories would've ended in a matter of panels.
    Is her being invincible really a good thing though? I mean this was why they killed off Jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    And if you really need the scan from No More Humans :

http://www.animanga.com/comics/nmh-6.jpg
    Writers tend to forget that Phoenix fire are psychic energies, not actual fire.
    Last edited by vitamin; 10-04-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Yes she is. The only reason she gets knocked out in the comics, is because writers are incompetent and want to add more to the story. If it were reality, with Storm's godlike powers and immunity to telepathy, most of these stories would've ended in a matter of panels.
    She's not immune to telepathy, highly resistant to most of its applications except psi bolts
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    I will definitely see into it. Thanks for the rec!
    Hope you will enjoy
    McCaffrey try to take a realistic view about what would happen if people with psionic powers (TP, TK, precog,...) started to appear in our society. How they could fight for a place in the society and how the society should adapt and then be transformed by those people. The outcome is very different from the X-Men themes and, imho, a lot more interesting because it offer a lot more possibilities than the human/mutant hate.

Writers tend to forget that Phoenix fire are telekinetic energies, not actual fire.
    Really?.. I thought it was god like flames.... O_O
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

BANNED

Hope you will enjoy
    McCaffrey try to take a realistic view about what would happen if people with psionic powers (TP, TK, precog,...) started to appear in our society. How they could fight for a place in the society and how the society should adapt and then be transformed by those people. The outcome is very different from the X-Men themes and, imho, a lot more interesting because it offer a lot more possibilities than the human/mutant hate.
    It sounds doozy. I always love lot more possibilities than just one forever and ever.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroexxx View Post
    Really?.. I thought it was god like flames.... O_O
    It's like the psychic energies that emanate from a higher state of consciousness.

Writers tend to forget that Phoenix fire are psychic energies, not actual fire.
    Jean use TK. Phoenix... it's more like she handle raw energy (you don't "eat" a star with TK). It's interesting in NMH because she is shown using the Phoenix power at a very powerfull level but she isn't out of control. Even if she is depicted as Dark Phoenix.

It sounds doozy. I always love lot more possibilities than just one forever and ever.

It's like the psychic energies that emanate from a higher state of consciousness.
    Well..... I learned something new everyday lol!
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Spectacular Member

Hope you will enjoy
    yes, it is more interesting, but its not realistic, because it assumes mankind has redeeming qualities.

you know who my favourite x-villain is?

THE BRICK.

because it symbolizes that moment that a mutant can just got around doing his thing, and then a person comes and throws bricks at him, breaks the mutant's legs with a baseball bat, kick the mutant's teeth off, rapes him/her... and that person be a MERE CITIZEN, not some supervillain. the idea that the common man, BILLIONS OF THEM, all deeply hate the heroes , and how the x-men come to terms with that and either try to change it in vain or try to survive, depending on circumstances etc, is what makes the x-men interesting. when i first read x-men, i said "so manys tories with humans vs something evil, AT LAST humans are the bad guys".

x-men is the one comic whose heroes have tons of reasons to keep asking themselves, "is the world worth saving?" then the next scene makes the writer scream a big fat "NO ITS NOT WORTH SAVING" rubbed all over their faces, and they still keep going. nothing is as badass as that.
    Last edited by Kikaze; 10-04-2014 at 02:49 PM.

BANNED

BRICK needs to strike ASAP!

I'll second the rec for 'To Ride Pegasus', but recommend two things: 1) keeping in mind that the first book was written decades ago, originally as short stories (it does feel a bit dated in some respects) and 2) sticking to it and the two following books (Pegasus in Flight and Pegasus in Space). Those three are where all the interesting worldbuilding is; the rest of the series leans much more towards romantic SF.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by antiochene View Post
    I'll second the rec for 'To Ride Pegasus', but recommend two things: 1) keeping in mind that the first book was written decades ago, originally as short stories (it does feel a bit dated in some respects) and 2) sticking to it and the two following books (Pegasus in Flight and Pegasus in Space). Those three are where all the interesting worldbuilding is; the rest of the series leans much more towards romantic SF.
    Thank you so much for guidance for what to search for. <3