Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cavill is out as Superman

Cavill is out as Superman, Gunn has announced on Twitter.

Gunn is writing a new Superman. Gunn says DC Studios will focus on a young Superman.

Gunn’s Tweet is here.

A story about it is up on Variety’s site.

Cavill has reacted quite professionally on an Instagram post. An interesting detail, to me, is Cavill says WB Discovery apparently asked Cavill to make that announcement in October about being back as Superman.

Variety says Cavill may be used in another role at DC.

Variety also reports that the J.J. Abrams’ and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Superman movie is still in active development. Although, movies get stuck in development all the time. I think it means next to nothing that it’s still in development. Until DC Studios make a big announcement, don’t bank on J.J. Abrams’ and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Superman happening.
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-14-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Ultimate Member

Hopefully this means he can stay on Witcher

If they're starting Superman movies with a young Clark... Cavill as the "Kingdom Come" Superman?? (let the rumor mill churn more butter...)

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hopefully this means he can stay on Witcher
    He quit Witcher. That’s over, too.

That's a bummer.

Note that another CBR and comics reader, Jackalope89, noticed this story first, and noted it on the Wonder Woman 3 thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    No Cavill as Supes, but as someone else.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...015042408.html
    I’m going to go out on a limb here and say if Cavill is out as Supes, then most of the Snyder-era-ish ensemble is gone, as the rumors have suggested.

I’m going to predict Gadot is out, and I’m thinking Affleck is gone, too. I’m sure latecomer to the Snyderverse Dwayne Johnson (or maybe Black Adam was a brief DC Rock-verse) is gone, too.

When I say Affleck is gone, I mean as the actor playing Batman. The Variety article states Affleck met with DC Studios to discuss directing a DC feature. Maybe Affleck will be around as a creative force, but I bet not playing Batman. It makes some sense given his history with the WB portion of the companies that are now WB Discovery, including Affleck’s work on Argo. He’s the kind of guy WB would want to keep around.

That leaves maybe Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa, maybe as Lobo?

At least things are happening at DC.

Of course, excepting Cavill, maybe everyone else is atill sticking around. Who knows?
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-14-2022 at 08:56 PM.

I feel really bad for Cavill but a full reboot of the DCU is the best way forward.

....DC movie folks, what are you doing? First Cavil's back and then he isn't. You bring my hopes up and then bring them down. I feel real bad for Cavil since he quit Witcher to come back. This, plus what's happening at HBO Max, makes me think that no one at Warner, DC, Discovery, HBO, whatever has any clue of what they're doing.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    ....DC movie folks, what are you doing? First Cavil's back and then he isn't. You bring my hopes up and then bring them down. I feel real bad for Cavil since he quit Witcher to come back. This, plus what's happening at HBO Max, makes me think that no one at Warner, DC, Discovery, HBO, whatever has any clue of what they're doing.
    All the stuff with Cavill happened before Gunn and Safran came on. A full reboot makes me think they actually have a plan and aren’t just gonna throw **** against the wall the way Hamada was doing.

Ultimate Member

LOL...never forget the mantra "make sure your next job offer is officially secure before you quit your previous one".

So is Liam Hemsworth somewhere going "Uh Oh" .

Ultimate Member

Anyway, I was completely indifferent to Cavill coming back.

This confirms the Snyderverse is done and DC/WB is better for it.

Despite what the LOUD guys (and their bots) on the internet say, the Snyderverse is really tainting the DC movie side of things. A clean break is best for business.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So is Liam Hemsworth somewhere going "Uh Oh" .
    LOLOLOL...Cavill probably making some calls to Netflix now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I feel really bad for Cavill but a full reboot of the DCU is the best way forward.
    I think it's for the best too. No offense to Cavill, who is a first rate actor and seems like a class act as a person, but he had the misfortune to star in a Superman movie written and directed by someone who didn't seem to understand the first thing about the character.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Anyway, I was completely indifferent to Cavill coming back.

This confirms the Snyderverse is done and DC/WB is better for it.

Despite what the LOUD guys (and their bots) on the internet say, the Snyderverse is really tainting the DC movie side of things. A clean break is best for business.
    The Snyderverse has been dead since 2017. Before theatrical Justice League.

I don’t think you can blame or credit Snyder for anything that that’s come out since 2016.

It wasn’t Snyder’s decision to recut Suicide Squad to be similar to Deadpool 1. That was an executive decision.

Birds of Prey flopping wasn’t Snyder’s fault.

WW84 flopping and middling reviews aren’t Snyder’s fault. The current situation regarding Patty Jenkins walking from Wonder Woman 3 and that movie being canned. Given her expanded influence on WW84, its not something execs want to see a repeat of.

Gunn’s own The Suicide Squad flopping.

Ezra Miller self-destructing and jeopardizing the Flash movie. Even back in 2017, the WB execs were hyping Flashpoint to erase the Snyder influence. Now all those execs are gone too.

Black Adam flopping also isn’t Snyder’s fault.

Nor are WB’s inaction on those Green Lantern projects going. WB has been saying for years that they’ve had plans for GL and GL Corps on HBOMax.

The successes of Aquaman 1 an Shazam 1 can’t be attributed to Snyder’s influence. Nor will the sequels success or failure be as a result of Snyder.

Since JL theatrical, every director, producer writer team has just done their own thing. And that started 5 years ago. It’s almost 2023. I don’t think we can say the Snyder influence is effecting the movies in anyway. I doubt the general audience is parsing the films released under the DC label by any assumed associations either.