Page 7 of 311 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: TV News Updates

I'll be watching NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans and Criminal Minds.

BANNED

I think having to scratch and scrape and claw to get a break is what makes you good
    Always nice to hear from non-artists what makes a good artist.
    Talent and practice is what makes a good artist.
    Starving while you try to make a living does not.
    It's a bullshit legend that artists need to suffer to be good.
    Mostly perpetuated by dipshits who don't know how much work an artist does to be able to do what they can or who simply want artwork cheaply but who'll pay a plumber 60 bucks an hour without blinking to do the same damn thing over and over and over again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Always nice to hear from non-artists what makes a good artist.
    Talent and practice is what makes a good artist.
    Starving while you try to make a living does not.
    It's a bullshit legend that artists need to suffer to be good.
    Mostly perpetuated by dipshits who don't know how much work an artist does to be able to do what they can or who simply want artwork cheaply but who'll pay a plumber 60 bucks an hour without blinking to do the same damn thing over and over and over again.
    having read the biographies of guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Vince McMahon (not biographies because one hasn't been written about him yet but various interviews and accounts), and Tom Brokaw

it's really not a "legend"....adversity is what pushes people to be great...some become great, some break and go sell shoes
    Last edited by Vibranium; 05-15-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Here's the CW Schedule. iZombie and The Messengers will be the midseason shows.

MONDAY

8/7c: The Originals
    9/8c: Jane the Virgin (NEW)

TUESDAY

8/7c: The Flash (NEW)
    9/8c: Supernatural

WEDNESDAY

8/7c: Arrow
    9/8c: The 100

THURSDAY

8/7c: The Vampire Diaries
    9/8c: Reign

FRIDAY

8/7c: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    8:30/7:30c: Whose Line Is It Anyway? (Encore)
    9/8c: America's Next Top Model

I'll be watching Arrow, The Flash and Whose Line Is It Anyway?, but will have to see the trailers for the midseason shows before making a decision on them.

As for my complete fall NETWORK viewing schedule:

Monday

8:00 pm - The Big Bang Theory/2 Broke Girls (CBS), Gotham (Fox, ON DEMAND)
    8:30 pm - Mom (CBS)
    9:00 pm - Sleepy Hollow (Fox), Scorpion (CBS, ON DEMAND)
    10:00 pm - Castle (ABC), The Blacklist (NBC, ON DEMAND), NCIS: LA (CBS, ON DEMAND)

Tuesday

8:00 pm - NCIS (CBS), The Flash (The CW, ON DEMAND), Selfie (ABC, ON DEMAND)
    9:00 pm - NCIS: New Orleans (CBS), Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC, ON DEMAND)
    10:00 pm - Forever (ABC)

Wednesday

8:00 pm - Arrow (The CW), The Mysteries of Laura (NBC, ON DEMAND)
    9:00 pm - Law & Order: SVU (NBC)
    10:00 pm - Stalker (CBS)

Thursday

8:00 pm - The Big Bang Theory (CBS after football ends), Bones (Fox, ON DEMAND)
    9:00 pm - Gracepoint (Fox, ON DEMAND), The Blacklist (NBC, in February)
    9:30 pm - A to Z (NBC, On Demand)
    10:00 pm - Elementary (CBS)

Friday

8:00 pm - Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW)
    9:00 pm - Hawaii Five-o (CBS)
    10:00 pm - Blue Bloods (CBS), Constantine (NBC, ON DEMAND)

Saturday

8:00 pm - College Football (ABC & Fox)

Sunday

8:00 pm - Madam Secretary (CBS), NFL Football (NBC)
    9:00 pm - The Good Wife (CBS), Resurrection (ABC, ON DEMAND)

And this is just the big network shows. Obviously there is stuff like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Orphan Black and more that will come into play as they start airing all together with this schedule over the course of the 2014-2015 season.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

having read the biographies
    Oh I'm sorry. You read 4 biographies.
    No really, that makes all the difference.

adversity is what pushes people to be great...some become great, some break and go sell shoes
    No it really does not. Adversity is a stumbling block.
    It has nothing to do with being a talented artist.
    All it has to do with is perseverance despite adversity and finding ways around the stumbling block.
    And in rare cases that works out for the better, in most cases it's just a waste of time and talent.
    Go read the biographies of all those hundreds of thousands of talented people who were forced to give up on their career because of adversity.
    Can't find them? Of course not. THEY'RE SELLING SHOES.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    No it really does not. Adversity is a stumbling block.
    It has nothing to do with being a talented artist.
    All it has to do with is perseverance despite adversity and finding ways around the stumbling block.
    And in rare cases that works out for the better, in most cases it's just a waste of time and talent.
    Go read the biographies of all those hundreds of thousands of talented people who were forced to give up on their career because of adversity.
    Can't find them? Of course not. THEY'RE SELLING SHOES.
    I feel like you made my point here

sometimes "being talented" isn't enough...at least from what Ive seen at people in the top of their respective fields

its about sacrifice...putting in time when everyone else has gone home, missing out on certain things to get in that last rep, that last rehearsal, or that systems check

having it handed to you via a reality show dilutes that IMO

look at American Idol....outside of Clarkson, have any of them had any sort of longevity?
    Last edited by Vibranium; 05-15-2014 at 09:41 AM.

BANNED

I feel like you made my point here
    I feel like you're lacking comprehension and actual experience being an artist.

sometimes "being talented" isn't enough
    Hence the practice thing. You can be talented but lazy and never get anywhere. Nothing to do with adversity. Someone who loves what he does puts in the time needed to improve their craft. This isn't something that hinges on adversity. And despite talent and practice adversity usually is what makes someone fail, not what makes them successful.

putting in time when everyone else has gone home, missing out on certain things to get in that last rep, that last rehearsal, that systems check
    All of that is practice.

having it handed to you via a reality show dilutes that IMO
    Nobody is handing it to them. They've had to work hard to get the skills that got them picked for the show in the first place. And they're competing with each other to get that first place. And even THEN they still need to make that hard earned price into a lasting career. Hard work. Talent and practice. Nothing to do with adversity.

Adversity is me getting screwed over by the government miscalculating my income resulting in huge debts. Adversity is me getting cancer resulting in months of recuperating. Adversity is me taking shitty sidejobs to make ends meet because it takes time and a significant amount of good fortune to build up a solid reliable clientbase. Adversity is me losing two contracts with big name game companies because some idiot there gets his department folded up and the project I was working on along with it. Time and money wasted. Nothing I can do about it but pick up the pieces and start over.
    But these are stumbling blocks. They don't make me a better artist. They waste my time. They limit my possibilities.
    In a tiny number of cases limitation leads to innovation. But these are rare exceptions. They aren't the rule.

BANNED

Nobody is handing it to them. They've had to work hard to get the skills that got them picked for the show in the first place. And they're competing with each other to get that first place. And even THEN they still need to make that hard earned price into a lasting career. Hard work. Talent and practice. Nothing to do with adversity.
    that's now how reality TV show conestants get picked...they go for personality first, talent second

Id be willing to be there are a ton more talented folks out there in that field, but don't have the right "look" that the producers of the show want

Adversity is me getting screwed over by the government miscalculating my income resulting in huge debts. Adversity is me getting cancer resulting in months of recuperating. Adversity is me taking shitty sidejobs to make ends meet because it takes time and a significant amount of good fortune to build up a solid reliable clientbase. Adversity is me losing two contracts with big name game companies because some idiot there gets his department folded up and the project I was working on along with it. Time and money wasted. Nothing I can do about it but pick up the pieces and start over.
    But these are stumbling blocks. They don't make me a better artist. They waste my time. They limit my possibilities.In a tiny number of cases limitation leads to innovation. But these are rare exceptions. They aren't the rule.
    Im sorry for your troubles, but if you really believe that...maybe in the great scheme of things, you aren't where you're supposed to be

BANNED

maybe in the great scheme of things, you aren't where you're supposed to be
    No your theory about adversity being a necessary element for being a good artist is simply wrong.

I think having to scratch and scrape and claw to get a break is what makes you good
    It's like any job. You're good at something, you put in the time to get better at it.
    Sometimes bad **** happens, it sucks and you have to grit your teeth and work through it.

Mondays:
    8:00 Gotham (Fox)
    10:00 Castle (abc)
    Tuesdays:
    8:00 NCIS (cbs)
    8:00 The Flash (cw)
    9:00 NCIS: New Orleans (cbs)
    Wednesdays:
    8:00 Arrow (cw)
    9:00 Criminal Minds (cbs)
    Fridays:
    9:00 Grimm (nbc)
    10:00 Constantine (nbc)
    Sundays:
    8:00 Once Upon a Time (abc)

Damn...how did I not know that the creators of The Pretender got the rights to the show back and have released two original novels and are working on a graphic novel as well?

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    having read the biographies of guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Vince McMahon (not biographies because one hasn't been written about him yet but various interviews and accounts), and Tom Brokaw

it's really not a "legend"....adversity is what pushes people to be great...some become great, some break and go sell shoes
    None of them were artists. None of them did the creative work. They were business men. (Gates bought the code and sold it to IBM with the help of his mother, Wozniak did the engineering, and I won't use McMahon and art in the same sentence)
    Pro is right, working on your craft is what makes a great artist. The struggle is about the work. having to scrape and claw is a deterrent and stops some potential artist from ever fulfilling there potential.
    There are legions of great artist who found success early and continued to do great work there whole lives.

Astonishing Member

ABC's dramas are just so pathetic. After watching American Crime, Secret and Lies and The Whispers, I'm almost certain that ABC have no idea how to create good dramas. I had quite high hopes for American Crime but after watching the trailer I know what the problem is. They try to make it serious and all but yet tried very hard to cater to the Grey's Anatomy crowd. I think its just sad.
    Amongst all the new series, Forever and How to get away with murder seem like the only ones that could succeed, I did cringe at How to get away with murder though, but it'll probably do well with Scandal leading into it.
    ABC's comedies looked alot better than their dramas. All of which looks like potentially successful ones.

CBS have a much better slate of dramas that ABC does. Scorpion, Mdm Secretary and Stalker all look amazing. These are the kinda shows that ABC attempted to do, but failed miserably. The McCarthys squeezed a few laughs out of me, I think it fits the demography pretty well, whether it succeeds or not would depend if america likes it.

Fox has a pretty good model this year. I'm definitely excited about Gotham. Red Band Society could be a real standout and Gracepoint looks amazing. Gracepoint is another one of the drama focused show that was what ABC tried to do but failed. Backstrom, Empire and Hieroglyph all looks amazing.

NBC's drama looks pretty good this season as well. Crossbones, Constantine, State of Affairs and Mysteries of Laura all looks pretty good. I've mixed feelings about their comedies with the only standout being A to Z, but its not by much as well.

CW's Flash and iZombie looked like hits already. The Messengers looked interesting but I'll reserve my judgement after I see the trailer. I initially hated Jane the Virgin until I saw the clip and I thought, yeah perhaps it could work.

Overall I think CBS and Fox have the best slate of dramas this season. NBC came in next, but they've several event dramas like Heroes Reborn, Bible sequel not shown yet, so they could still come out on top, although their comedies are a little lacking. CW got me excited with Flash, but without watching any of their other trailers, its harder to get excited.
    ABC came in last with the lousiest slate of dramas but possibly a successful year for their comedies.

I think Secrets & Lies and The Whispers could be interesting. Depends on how the shows develop in full.

Astonishing Member

dang
    i was hoping for an all ncis tuesday