Default Weekly Collection Reviews part 16: Change

Previous review

Welcome to part 16 of our Weekly Collection Reviews! This time, victor is taking a break and I am doing the review. Like the other times, I had intended to review a different comic (in this case The Bulletproof Coffin), but I changed my mind at the last moment. Instead, I am going to review Change, by Ales Kot, Morgan Jeske, Sloane Leong and Ed Brisson.

Maybe you have heard of Ales Kot. After all, he is what you would call a rising star in the comics industry. Well, maybe he is not that famous, but trust me: he is going to be big in the future. Nowadays he writes the best book about spies in the market (Zero) and Secret Avengers, which is Marvel's funniest book alongside Superior Foes of Spider-Man. But enough of introductions!

Change is a difficult and complex comic that forces you to always pay attention and benefits from multiple readings. What Kot has created is a multiple-layered narrative, a puzzle that gradually unfolds the more you read. Granted, this is not an original concept, but it is everything that Kot works with that sets the comic apart. Lovecraft, astronauts, a love story, rappers, living tumors, pop references... All told using the possibilites the comics medium offers. In some ways, Change could be described as a comic David Lynch would write, especially when it comes to the story's atmosphere and the use of symbolisms.

If you are reading Change for the first time, prepare for what seems to be a chaotic mess. Like I said before, this is a difficult and complex book. You will have a hard time understanding what you read, but the next time will be a different experience. You already know what will happen at the end, right? Well, then concentrate on the scattered symbols and how the different panels and text boxes connect to each other. Yes, Kot went that far.

With such a story one needs a good artist, someone skilled enough to convey all that information with a smooth narrative. Thankfully, Morgan Jake is that artist. Just look for preview pages.

Avoid this comic if you dislike this kind of narrative

Colorist Sloane Leong and letterer Ed Brisson deserve some credit, too. Color and lettering play an important role here: the former emphasizes feelings and objects, while the latter is essential to undertand the story (a badly placed text box could be fatal).

Are there any flaws? Yes. The comic could have benefited from more pages and decompression and Kot's writing needs some polish. But don't let that intimidate you! Change is an underrated gem.

Read it so you can say at the very least that you were there when Kot and Jaske were still newcomers!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I picked up the first trade of Zero at a con a few months ago, I was surpised how complicated and good it was. This book seems a lot like Zero so will definitely pick this up when I have the chance And I agree Kot has a lot of potential, he could be like Grant Morrison if he is lucky/skilled enough. He certainly has the complicated plots and tons of ideas to suit the job
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

He also has the talent.

Like you say, he needs skills and luck. He's developing the former and it seems like Marvel wants to raise his profile.

By the way, you should read his Secret Avengers. You will see that Kot has wider range than one would think. And it might fill the hole the cancellation of Foes of Spider-Man left in your heart, though I can't promise anything.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    He also has the talent.

Like you say, he needs skills and luck. He's developing the former and it seems like Marvel wants to raise his profile.

By the way, you should read his Secret Avengers. You will see that Kot has wider range than one would think. And it might fill the hole the cancellation of Foes of Spider-Man left in your heart, though I can't promise anything.
    Haha, I actually read some of his Secret Avengers. It's quite charming but the art didn't click with me and I like Kot's more serious work (Zero and Suicide squad) better. It is quite a charming book though. Kot is definitely on my radar currently like Soule and Declan Shalvey. I would love to see a Captain America run by Kot or even a Deathstroke book by Kot. Maybe even Batman...
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47