Incredible Member

Default So what do you all use to catalog your comics?

I've been using this book for years:

But I guess it's time to go digital, and use a web or program solution. I'm worried about putting lots of work into a solution and then the site/program going out of business; so I need something with good export features I guess. But anyway, what do you all use?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

My memory.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I've never used an online service, for the same reason you worry about: all that work to start and maintain it, only to have the website eventually shut down or something.

Instead, I use an Excel spreadsheet to catalog my collection and any other pertinent information I wish to have quick access to. I actually have two lists. One for single issues, and one for collections. I make sure to update them soon after each new purchase, so that I don't fall behind and have to spend the time going through everything to see what I may have missed. The lists are simple, but they work for me.

I catalog the comic title, issue number (if applicable), year published, publisher, issue title (if applicable), and any extra information (such as printing, special formats, multiple copies, etc.)

Last edited by Michael24; 05-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

A significant portion of my collection is small press and self published, so no checklist or software I know of is going to work without ridiculous hours spent expanding their database to include smaller print run comics for free. And I was willing to do that on one site, until I got notified if I wasn't going to count the pages of every comic I added to the database and include an image, to just not add comics. So I didn't. I use my memory and constantly rooting through the collection again to refresh that memory.

BANNED

I use comicspriceguide.com. It cost 45.00/yr, but it's pretty comprehensive. I rarely come across anything they don't already have listed. The site also keeps track of
    value fluctuations and has a forum and classifieds. Besides recording your collection, you can also record your boxes if you want to go that far into it, and can print several
    different lists, including the entire collection.

I also have my collection on the database at mycomicshop.com in the sell/trade section, so most days I'll have several books they want to buy. I can either sell, trade for
    store credit, or put books in reserve. It's been a good system for clearing out my junk. The data entry on mycomicshop.com is the easiest of any site, because you enter
    quantity and condition in one step.

Hope that helps.

Incredible Member

Good input everyone, thanks.

My preferred method would be a personal spreadsheet similar to Michael's, but I'm probably much too lazy to put ~15,000 books in it. I should have started one years ago, anyone have a time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    My memory.
    This.

I pretty much remember whether I have a book or not off the top of my head.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    This.

I'm either too old and my memory is failing (as evidenced of the piles of books I've bought being sure that I didn't own them), or I buy too much and few can remember an eclectic 15000 book collection. Probably a little bit of both.

Comicbase was great. Has weekly updates and even updates what books are supposedly worth. My old computer could no longer handle their software and I don't think there is a tablet version but I thought that it was the best.

Free-side, there is stashmycomics.com which is clunky at first but gets the job done. I have only played around with that a tiny bit.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    This.

Ditto. My recall is pretty good and I got too tired of wading through my catalog spreadsheet to add to it.