Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scusemeprincess View Post
    you must have never read ff1234, all star supes, the damian stuff in batman, joe the barbarian
    guy is kindof fantastic at "the family element"
    I've read most of that...and I stand by my earlier comment...it's easy to write the family element when you're dealing with characters you essentially created (or recreated)...and FF1234 isn't really a fair example of what an ongoing FF run would be like from Morrison because that was largely individual spotlight issues rather than writing them as a group...it also came out at a time before he would have been given carte blanche to do anything and everything he would want to do to the characters. I actually cringe at the thought of Morrison being turned loose on any characters I like at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    I've read most of that...and I stand by my earlier comment...it's easy to write the family element when you're dealing with characters you essentially created (or recreated)...and FF1234 isn't really a fair example of what an ongoing FF run would be like from Morrison because that was largely individual spotlight issues rather than writing them as a group...it also came out at a time before he would have been given carte blanche to do anything and everything he would want to do to the characters. I actually cringe at the thought of Morrison being turned loose on any characters I like at this point.
    that sounds like excuses to explain away the strong ff work the guy has already done
    kinda stubborn

Fantastic Member

You know who would be a great writer for the FF ? Peter David. Great at Sci-FI, great at characterization, and was a very accessible style that would appeal to both long-time and new readers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Really? How do you figure? What 'worse' place would they be in?

They're in a terrible place as is, with ever shorter runs on new titles not featuring the film cast (but that's okay, because they're now in everything, all the time). Everything that breaths in the Mavel U is now 'an Avenger'. Marvel comics routinely hit the 5$/issue mark. All this, and the added bonus of crap like 'Markus Fury' tossed in for good measure.

Film sales have done nothing but corrupt the comics. They're not adding sales to your favorite monthlies. They're not actually doing anything to improve the comics market.
    Hey now! He's proven to be a super important and original character and Marvel clearly had great reasons to bring him into the Marvel Universe! After all, remember how important he was in that event?!

Astonishing Member

that sounds like excuses to explain away the strong ff work the guy has already done
    kinda stubborn
    He did ONE 4 issue mini...don't act like he did some long run on the book and we have any idea what he would actually do with one...at this point, he seems more interested in recreating every character he touches than actually writing existing characters...and I didn't think that one mini was especially strong.
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 10-05-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    You know who would be a great writer for the FF ? Peter David. Great at Sci-FI, great at characterization, and was a very accessible style that would appeal to both long-time and new readers.
    That could actually be an interesting choice...has he done any FF work before? I know he did the 1602 FF mini but it's not quite the same.

BANNED

He did ONE 4 issue mini...don't act like he did some long run on the book and we have any idea what he would actually do one one...and I didn't think that one mini was especially strong.
    he just used them again a few weeks ago. it was pretty strong ff work.

BANNED

Gillen would be a interesting writer too.

BANNED

This is so completely stupid. I am right sick of these films and the havoc they're causing.

Seriously, they've gone from a fun aside to our comics to constant source of grief now.

I honestly wish Marvel had never cast it's hat in the film making ring. Nothing good has come of any of this. I could go a lifetime without ever having seen 'The Avengers' on screen, and been completely satisfied.

Watching books get cancelled and characters shelved/introduced based on what's on the screen and who's getting a cut of ticket sales... is infuriating.

I hate this BS. :/
    Except for propelling the company to unparalleled success, brand recognition, and saving the company from going bankrupt? And for making superheroes more popular in society than at any point in the last 50 years?

At some point people are going to have to accept that Marvel's primary source of income is the films now. It wasn't until the films were made that they got the insane clout they have now. If making the comics more like the films helps sell more comics, why wouldn't they do it?

I mean, we have places like the View, which does not in any way have any similar audience to typical Marvel comics, talking about the new Thor.

Comics have been dying for ages, this is hardly a secret. Brick and mortar book stores are falling to the new wave of digital access. Even television is having to compete with exclusive-based content, like HBO, Hulu, and Netflix. The entire landscape of media is changing, either get on board or get lost behind.
    Last edited by SpiderByte; 10-05-2014 at 07:12 PM.

He did ONE 4 issue mini...don't act like he did some long run on the book and we have any idea what he would actually do one one...and I didn't think that one mini was especially strong.
    I'm actually curious as to what you'd hold up as an example of his failure to write families.

You seem quite adamant that he cannot, and quickly dismiss examples of when he has.

What is it you've read that has so entrenched this idea in your mind? What about it gave you this conviction?
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I agree - I think Peter David would do a good job. I think Waid would do fine if he were given a second shot. Would like to see shorter stories (1-3 issues), but good ones (didn't take too kindly to the Fraction issues). I also wish the kids and the Future Foundation would disappear for awhile. Although FF are a family, seems like there has been too much consideration of this over the past 10 or more years, at the expense of the stories. Set the parents free for a couple of years so they're not always tending to the kids or worrying about the kids, etc. Isn't Agatha Harkness still alive to some baby-sitting?

Still hopeful the FF do return somewhat shortly to the Marvel Universe but don't think this will be the case. They might be gone for awhile. In the interim, I hope the movie tanks at the box office and that Marvel could somehow purchase the rights back from Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    Except for propelling the company to unparalleled success, brand recognition, and saving the company from going bankrupt? And for making superheroes more popular in society than at any point in the last 50 years?
    ...what has this done for the comics though?

I legit don't give a fig if someone feels all giddy in their cosplay. That rubbish is niether here nor there for me. I don't care if some little kid insists on the Rocket Racoon figurine because he saw a ridiculous film.

Marvel was cranking out some brilliant Avengers and Captain America books during thier very worst fiscal years (Waid, Busiek, et al).

So, again...what does all of this 'brand recognition' mean for the comics? What has it brought me, as a fan of the comics?
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Astonishing Member

I'm actually curious as to what you'd hold up as an example of his failure to write families.

You seem quite adamant that he cannot, and quickly dismiss examples of when he has.

What is it you've read that has so entrenched this idea in your mind? What about it gave you this conviction?
    I suppose it's not families specifically but rather established characterization that he's no good at...I know I'm in the minority but I HATED how he wrote the X-Men and haven't enjoyed anything he's done with pre-existing characters since...he does well with new characters or characters he recreates but I don't want that for the FF.

Fantastic Member

That could actually be an interesting choice...has he done any FF work before? I know he did the 1602 FF mini but it's not quite the same.
    The only FF he has done is the novelizations of the movies. (I haven't read 'em but I know they exist.) But I really cant think of another writer who can do huge action, high drama, sci-fi, and humor (an essential part of the FF) as well as PAD. As long as I'm making suggestions how about Gabriel Hardman on art?

Astonishing Member

he just used them again a few weeks ago. it was pretty strong ff work.
    I assume he used an FF knockoff in Multiversity? I'm not reading it but I don't see how you can call it strong FF work if he's not actually writing the FF.