Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Default The intrinsic strength of "Superman"

I used to work at a blockbuster (aging myself I know), and a dude would come in from time to time and rent old SUPERMAN toons. He'd always tell me how awesome Superman is, and being me, I'd talk with him about it. He'd say "he's the best cause he never gives up".

I saw that same man the other day. I was on the inner-state and he was on the side asking for money. It's hard to see someone you know (even just vaguely) that down and out. Real sad. Anyway, I thought about this guy. What he'd say about what SUPERMAN meant to him- and for me that's what's the character is all about.

I'm merely posting this since I've noticed so many threads lately about "post crisis superman"/"pre crisis superman"/my version is better kinda topics and I think it's arguing semantics. A true streamlined Superman is what's needed and not some version from yesteryear. To think of a flying man who never gives up, and what that means to a man so down on his luck. The idea of a fictional character that can provide such hope to a real meat person. That's the Man of Steel.

What say ya'all?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-05-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah I mean on one hand, the reality is that we've suffered through so many stories where Superman is NOT the champion who never gives up that I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment, as nice as it sounds. But on the other, I guess I agree with the idea that Superman has symbolic value in real life that should transcend the petty in-fan-base squabbling like who he's dating and who his boss is, etc.

Yeah I mean right now we're reading Future's End and Superman totally just called it a day there. Granted he's primed to make a comeback and every great hero needs a journey of sorts.

I agree with a lot of what Morrison says about Superman as a sigil of "hope". Like you said, who cares who he's sleeping with or working for? The idea of him is more important than any of that. It's sad that I can barely think of a handful of writers who approach him this way.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think he's Mr. impossible as much as a symbol for strength or hope. The ultimate can do man.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I used to work at a blockbuster (aging myself I know)
    Nah... unless your store primarily rented out VHS tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    who cares who he's sleeping with or working for? The idea of him is more important than any of that. It's sad that I can barely think of a handful of writers who approach him this way.
    There you go. The writers and staff happen to care about that stuff as much as fans, and we end up with stories focused on stuff like that and happen to include Superman, where he's basically just kind of holding out until stuff blows over or is put into situations where fortunately, he can't give up.

I really don't think every story has to blow me away, when I wax about "yesteryear" it's because there was such great quantity to go along with even sometimes average quality. As long as the core ideas are in place, I'll read. But when I am blown away, I do appreciate it. To me a great Superman comic is better than a great comic starring someone else.

"To me a great Superman comic is better than a great comic starring someone else."

Totally agree man.

I mean it's important to have Clark develop new relationships and keep the cast fresh, since that keeps the window dressing nice and clean. He needs to move with the times. Though a story like the recent DOOMED, houses all my problems with how people approach the character. I don't have much interest in a SUPERMAN who can't really save the day. If I wanted to see angst and hopelessness in a superhero there's so many other books for that. I stick around this character cause he doesn't have those doubts. He surely must worry sometimes, like everyone, but he's never going to say "the world doesn't need me". He's going to get up and go try harder next time.

Clark Kent is who we're supposed to relate too. He's the guy who can't get the girl, and has to get to work on time and deal with an abrasive boss. Superman is the ideal, and he should hardly ever doubt himself. The concept of a man who would never give up on us, as Morrison says, is too important.

I think that's why things like Superman t-shirts are still so popular. People identify with that never give up, hopefull attitude of Superman regardless of what they think of him as a character or if they enjoy his comics. Plenty of people are drawn to the ideals of Superman, so it affects them in real life.