Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default No More Saturday Morning Cartoons...

I know it's a day late to say this, but...

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-first...y-m-1642441646

As a man of 23 years, I've always had memories with watching saturday morning cartoons since 1997 or 1998 and always recorded them on my VCR and watched them every afternoon or night, although admittedly since the start of this decade, I have been A LOT less active with Saturday morning cartoons than I was in the late 90's (Disney's One Saturday Morning and Pokemon anyone?) and the 2000's with Kids Wb, Fox Kids, Fox Box, ABC Kids, and 4Kids TV. And no this is not some other "random nostalgic ramblings" thread of mine, but here to discuss a rather sudden milestone and bittersweet end that I'm sure some of you here might have just witnessed.

Turning on the TV this past Saturday morning on 10:16 AM Eastern, I was expecting to see Dragon Ball Z Kai (where it just went back to re-running the end of the Frieza saga after finishing the re-runs of the Cell Games saga) but nothing appeared except for live-action tv programming. And there it was. No more Saturday Morning Cartoons for me.

RIP: 1960's to 2014.

Now the only thing I can watch on saturday is "Totally Tooned In" on Antenna TV every 9:30 AM or Where on earth is carmen sandiego? on Qubo every early afternoon. Although it is disconcerting to see something from my childhood finally come to an end, I am honestly NOT as upset or disappointed as you might assume, as I've been more active with the message forums, YouTube, and other things on the Internet than with TV on Saturday's among a few other things.

So people of the CBR community, what were your favorite Saturday Morning Cartoons or Shows?
    Last edited by Bullet Sniper; 10-06-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: i meant to add that I was "NOT" upset. sorry...

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

My favorite Saturday morning show's were Mighty Mouse and Looney Tunes although I cannot watch any show's I grew up with in the 60's without Boomerang and it is not available through Comcast.
    (Flintstones, Jetsons, Huck/Yogi/Quickdraw/Augie Doggie/Pixie and Dixie/Mr.Jinx/Yakky Doodle/Magilla Gorilla/Wally Gator/Squiddly Diddly/Hokey Wolf,etc)

Watching online is NOT the same as laying on the couch watching on TV.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelmaniac6169 View Post
    My favorite Saturday morning show's were Mighty Mouse and Looney Tunes although I cannot watch any show's I grew up with in the 60's without Boomerang and it is not available through Comcast.
    (Flintstones, Jetsons, Huck/Yogi/Quickdraw/Augie Doggie/Pixie and Dixie/Mr.Jinx/Yakky Doodle/Magilla Gorilla/Wally Gator/Squiddly Diddly/Hokey Wolf,etc)

Watching online is NOT the same as laying on the couch watching on TV.
    Thank you for your response sir.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten much replies.

Saturday morning cartoons haven't been good for a long time. Sure there has been a good one every now and again...but for the most part they've been really awful. I've been mourning the good 'toons for years now
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

BANNED

Blame the easy access of streaming on the internet for it's demise. That and you can just DVR a show instead of getting up to record it. Back in the day the only access you have in watching em is to wake up in early saturday morning and tune to the show that you want to watch.

Since you've got whole channels (Cartoon Network, toon Disney, nick toons, Boomerang, etc) dedicated to Cartoons, it's hard for Saturday morning cartoons to compete.

I remember an old Warner Bros cartoon where a cat exclaimed, "Now I've seen everything", then pulled out a revolver from under his pillow and proceeded to shoot himself in the head. I saw that cartoon again 30+ years later on a Sat. morning cartoon and they cut out the revolver part.

**** you Sat morning cartoons!!!

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    Since you've got whole channels (Cartoon Network, toon Disney, nick toons, Boomerang, etc) dedicated to Cartoons, it's hard for Saturday morning cartoons to compete.
    I hate how kids wb has died. It's as if Saturday morning cartoons has gone out of style like bell bottom jeans.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Blame the easy access of streaming on the internet for it's demise. That and you can just DVR a show instead of getting up to record it. Back in the day the only access you have in watching em is to wake up in early saturday morning and tune to the show that you want to watch.
    Or maybe they think it being the weekend it's to much of a hassle to get out of bed to watch them.
    Simply embarrassing the 90s and 80s were the golden days.
    Well so were the 60s and 70s as the 70s has the birth of scooby doo.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Man, as early as the late '60s, I can remember as if it were yesterday my brothers and I getting up early so we wouldn't miss any of the Saturday morning cartoons. H.R. Pufnstuf (I know it was live action, but still qualifies for this conversation) and The Banana Splits (it had cartoons! ) were the first I can remember watching religiously, as well as The Archies and Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?. Super Friends would become my favorite all-time a few years later (I don't really count Bugs Bunny and the other WB characters, because they aired every day in syndication years ago - having said that, they were my favorite cartoons, bar none). Heck, I'm old enough to remember the preview specials that would air on the Friday right before the start of the new season of cartoon!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I miss Saturday morning cartoons as well. It was all I looked forward to during the week. I really feel sorry for kids these days. Holy crap. Did I just say that?! Well, it's true. Kids nowadays will never know what it was like to wake up early on Saturday mornings to catch Marvel Action Hour, and record your favorite shows on the VCR so you can watch it again and again.

And we never knew what it was like to play stickball or go down to catch the Saturday afternoon serial for a nickel.

Somehow, we survived.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Extraordinary Member

Whatever else you can say about Saturday Morning TV, it was a programming block that you
    didn't have to pay a dime for.

Much like Sunday football.

The only other free alternatives left on tv are on PBS or throwback network Ion TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Whatever else you can say about Saturday Morning TV, it was a programming block that you
    didn't have to pay a dime for.

Much like Sunday football.

The only other free alternatives left on tv are on PBS or throwback network Ion TV.
    It's not like they've replaced cartoons with dead air. There's still kids' programming on broadcast TV on Saturday morning. It's vaguely educational stuff like nature shows instead of animation, but it's still something a kid might enjoy.

Smurfs, Snorks, Garfield and Friends, Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Bugs Bunny and Road-Runner (Tweety)