Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Squadron Supreme: Would Marvel be so gutsy?

So Marvel's upcoming event has history altered so that many of their major characters didn't get their powers or special abilities or got drastically different ones. In this new world the major heroes are actually The Squadron Supreme. If that sounds like Marvel is trying to do a stealth Justice League story it doesn't end there you've got a tie-in revolving around a young Hyperion going off on adventures with the Imperial Guard (basically Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes) and tie-in revolving around Peter Parker and Hyperion which very much looks like a riff on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson.

Given that the comics serve as something like idea test kitchens for concepts and characters in the movies would it really be surprising if it turned out that this is to test the waters for Squadron Supreme movie. What better victory lap could Marvel have then essentially doing a Justice League movie better than DC/WB?

Eh. I think it’d open up too many opportunities for lawsuits, no? I’m no lawyer, but I feel the SS in comics was a bit of “tit for tat”, as DC had some “Marvel equivalents” as well, but the movies are serious bucks/attention.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't see why there would be any legal issue with the Squadron that the comics wouldn't have as well.

Spoilers for an upcoming MCU project: spoilers:
    it's rumored that the Squadron appear/are referenced in Loki
    end of spoilers

I'm hoping for Hyperion to pop up. Doubt they would ever give him his own movie but maybe somewhere else. I don't think lawsuits would be an issue. Brightburn was pretty on the nose and WBs didn't sue Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I don't see why there would be any legal issue with the Squadron that the comics wouldn't have as well.
    There shouldnt be. but The Justice league movie was a joke. And marvel Movies have been huge successes. I could see someone at Dc being butt hurt if Marvel tried this and made the knock off Justice league a huge hit when the real thing couldnt do it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Eh. I think it’d open up too many opportunities for lawsuits, no? I’m no lawyer, but I feel the SS in comics was a bit of “tit for tat”, as DC had some “Marvel equivalents” as well, but the movies are serious bucks/attention.
    Nope, DC and Marvel went war over a name, If DC were able to sue over SS they would have already done so. Plus SS has their own unique mythology already so that scenario isn't going to happen.

Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-05-2021 at 05:51 AM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Up till Armie Hammer was revealed to be a gigantic, full body cringe creep, my favorite idea was using the cast from the cancelled George Miller Justice League movie as the Squadron Supreme.

Sounds like Canvill coming back for Shazam 2. But if he was game. What you do is Cast Canvill as Hyperion, just dye his hair blonde and say nope he's nothing like Superman.

Really though I think Hyperion,Gladiator,and Sentry are all safe. Hyperion is the most blatant rip off of the Superman clones but I don't see them suing.

Fassbedner and McAvoy as Hyperion and Nightkhawk would be cool. If both are willing the bulk up a bit. Off the wall casting but I think Pablo Schreiber would be great. He's a giant man and has shown some great range as an actor post Orange is the new black. Loved him as Mad Sweeney.

SS has been around since the 60's. Not sure what's so gutsy about if they wanted to develop the IP into live action. I've not long read the 80's limited series and it wasn't as dope as I remembered but those characters were nothing like the JL. At the time it was a new approach, the public scrutiny of these people that still get run today. Hell, at this point there are several iterations of them, my favorite being the MAX line. That Hyperion vs. Nighthawk mini still circulates in my brain unlike SO many of the last 20 years of big two comics.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

My understanding was that, way back, Marvel and DC agreed to do take-offs on each other's characters (just about to head for work so don't have time right now to check on that). Marvel's take-off on the Justice League just turned out to be far more popular and has had various remakes.

So there may or may not be grounds for a legal challenge to a movie. A movie is dealing with far more money, of course. But I suspect Marvel and Disney would not do it if they thought they would lose a significant portion of money in a lawsuit.

But an MCU Squadron Supreme movie or even one outside the MCU (as it would probably be the alternate Earth setting) would be interesting.
    Power with Girl is better.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Why would it open the door for lawsuits? The whole point for Squadron Supreme and the Maximums (DC's answer to the Squadron) is so that the two companies can have the "teams" encounter/fight each other without having to worry about lawyers.
    Besides they used the Squadron in one of their cartoons (funny enough half of them were voiced by a person that voiced the characters DC counterpart at one point), most of the characters in The Boys are Captain Eratzs of DC and Marvel characters, The Incredibles and Megamind have characters based on characters from the comics.
    The only problem would be trolls or people who don't know **** about comics and can't be bothered to look up information. Like others have said considering the war that DC and Marvel had over the use of Captain Marvel if DC had a problem with characters taking inspiration from their characters they would have said something by now, the same with Marvel about DC using characters based on their characters. TVTropes as pages for all of the Expy/Captain Eratzs/Alternate Company Equivalent characters between the two companies.

Well, with Disney lawyers they might be willing and able to do that, but I would think they'd have to follow the plot of their big mini very closely to get away with it. If it looks like they made a Justice League movie and changed the names to characters they own I would imagine they'd be in a much more precarious position

I do think it would be cool if they tried the Squadron Sinister as the infinity stones, where they show up in individual movies only to have a big climax where they all team up.

I could see it happening on one of the shows but not a full movie.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Moon Knight as a smart take on many Batman tropes would be something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Sounds like Canvill coming back for Shazam 2. But if he was game. What you do is Cast Canvill as Hyperion, just dye his hair blonde and say nope he's nothing like Superman.

Really though I think Hyperion,Gladiator,and Sentry are all safe. Hyperion is the most blatant rip off of the Superman clones but I don't see them suing.

Fassbedner and McAvoy as Hyperion and Nightkhawk would be cool. If both are willing the bulk up a bit. Off the wall casting but I think Pablo Schreiber would be great. He's a giant man and has shown some great range as an actor post Orange is the new black. Loved him as Mad Sweeney.
    I've seen Henry as a blonde and I never want to see a 2.0 version of that ever again.

I think with the SS having a semblance of a history at Marvel spanning decades, I'm sure Disney could pull off a live action no problem (legally) but I'm certain it will ruffle some folks feathers if they ever made a success of it, ironically.