Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Supernatural

BANNED

Default Supernatural

Things change yet the Winchesters still continue to fight the good fight against the forces of evil. Either it be demons, a-hole angels, gods, or other supernatural creatures. And give destiny the middle finger every chance they get.

Thoughts on the recent episode. Bloodlines

Nothing I can say about this episode that haven't been already said so all I can say is that if Bloodlines doesn't get picked up then at least the episode gave us a nifty arc for Sam and Dean to tackle once they're done with the Metatron and Abaddon arc. Don't tell me Sam and Dean tackling the various monsters in Chicago wouldn't be a fun arc!

BANNED

I'll be honest, I liked Bloodlines a lot more then I thought I would. I always liked the actor who played Kol in Vampire Diaries. The episode didn't completely blow me away, but I would like to see it get picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post

Things change yet the Winchesters still continue to fight the good fight against the forces of evil. Either it be demons, a-hole angels, gods, or other supernatural creatures. And give destiny the middle finger every chance they get.

Thoughts on the recent episode. Bloodlines

Nothing I can say about this episode that haven't been already said so all I can say is that if Bloodlines doesn't get picked up then at least the episode gave us a nifty arc for Sam and Dean to tackle once they're done with the Metatron and Abaddon arc. Don't tell me Sam and Dean tackling the various monsters in Chicago wouldn't be a fun arc!
    Yeah, could make for something fun to pop into here and there, but the question is, would they do it, or consistently?

I mean, I can't think of many Arcs promised - bar you, Alpha Vampire! and you, Leviathans wandering without a leader! - that weren't followed up, but would they be viewed as as important as Heaven and Hell stories, and stuff to do with Crowley, Sam, Cas, Dean etc?

BTW, JSYK, I'm the poster formerly known as Phantom Dragon.

Originally wanted to be called Crimson Knight, but, as that that name was taken, went with the next cool thing I could think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I'll be honest, I liked Bloodlines a lot more then I thought I would. I always liked the actor who played Kol in Vampire Diaries. The episode didn't completely blow me away, but I would like to see it get picked up.
    Yeah, the previews had me dreading the episode, but I'll be checking out the series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    Yeah, the previews had me dreading the episode, but I'll be checking out the series.
    The only thing about the episode that didn't floor me was Ennis but the rest I'm intrigued.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Yeah, could make for something fun to pop into here and there, but the question is, would they do it, or consistently?

I mean, I can't think of many Arcs promised - bar you, Alpha Vampire! and you, Leviathans wandering without a leader! - that weren't followed up, but would they be viewed as as important as Heaven and Hell stories, and stuff to do with Crowley, Sam, Cas, Dean etc?

BTW, JSYK, I'm the poster formerly known as Phantom Dragon.

Originally wanted to be called Crimson Knight, but, as that that name was taken, went with the next cool thing I could think of.
    I think if it didn't get picked up Bloodlines has a concept that is just too interesting to just get swept under the rug. I'd say have Sam and Dean return to Chicago to tackle the monsters that is living there. It would make a nice back to basics arc taking the Heaven and Hell stuff they've been dealing with as of late.

The only thing about the episode that didn't floor me was Ennis but the rest I'm intrigued.
    Yeah, agreed. However, the preview made him seem worse. He was passable and his Father being alive (or undead?) is interesting. There's a lot to explore there so it should be a fun watch. What was the fifth family? I know it's Shifters, Werewolves, Ghouls, and Djinn's what's the fifth?

BANNED

Yeah, agreed. However, the preview made him seem worse. He was passable and his Father being alive (or undead?) is interesting. There's a lot to explore there so it should be a fun watch. What was the fifth family? I know it's Shifters, Werewolves, Ghouls, and Djinn's what's the fifth?
    My beef is that his whole arc just screams a recycled concept of how Sam Winchester returned to the hunt in Season One. His girlfriend got killed and now he's going to hunt monsters. If Ennis's arc had some originality in it then I wouldn't be too bothered. Even his bit with his father reminds me of the angle between The Winchesters searching for John in the first season.

BANNED

I assume vampires are the 5th family.

I'm also wondering, what kind of shifters are these? They can transform the same way the "Alpha" shifter could. All the other shifters had to go through some nasty ass process..they couldn't do it in the blink of an eye. Are these shifters immortal? The other ones were supposed to be.

My beef is that his whole arc just screams a recycled concept of how Sam Winchester returned to the hunt in Season One. His girlfriend got killed and now he's going to hunt monsters. If Ennis's arc had some originality in it then I wouldn't be too bothered. Even his bit with his father reminds me of the angle between The Winchesters searching for John in the first season.
    I get what you are saying, but then I also think it does make sense. Think about it though, most hunters are going to get into this business because someone they love was killed by something supernatural. There is a 50/50 shot that it will either be the persons spouse was killed or the persons brother/child was killed, or both, etc. Also keep in mind these aren't the same exactly. Sam knew about the supernatural long before Jessica. It was her death, which made him feel like he had nothing else left, that brought him back to the lifestyle. This is someone who has essentially just now been thrown into the thick of it. We've never actually seen that. We've always seen people who had already been hunters.

Not only is the guy being introduced into the world of the supernatural, but in a way most aren't in this universe. It's essentially like Soprano's or something, but with supernatural beings.
    Last edited by Surtur; 04-30-2014 at 07:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I assume vampires are the 5th family.

I'm also wondering, what kind of shifters are these? They can transform the same way the "Alpha" shifter could. All the other shifters had to go through some nasty ass process..they couldn't do it in the blink of an eye. Are these shifters immortal? The other ones were supposed to be.

I get what you are saying, but then I also think it does make sense. Think about it though, most hunters are going to get into this business because someone they love was killed by something supernatural. There is a 50/50 shot that it will either be the persons spouse was killed or the persons brother/child was killed, or both, etc. Also keep in mind these aren't the same exactly. Sam knew about the supernatural long before Jessica. It was her death, which made him feel like he had nothing else left, that brought him back to the lifestyle. This is someone who has essentially just now been thrown into the thick of it. We've never actually seen that. We've always seen people who had already been hunters.

Not only is the guy being introduced into the world of the supernatural, but in a way most aren't in this universe. It's essentially like Soprano's or something, but with supernatural beings.
    I thought Charlie's was the most interesting. She was in the same situation as Ennis yet she didn't lose a loved one to the supernatural. She was mostly an innocent in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sort of like a female Arthur Dent.

Fantastic Member

Just wanted to copy my thoughts on the episode from the old thread.

I liked the episode and the concept of a monster mafia sort of makes sense when you think back to the Elliot Ness being a hunter episode. If he was hunting back in Chicago during the height of the mafia build up his career history was famous for the monsters and the mob having a connection makes sense and would evolve over time to what we will be seeing in this show if it gets picked up. That seems cool and kind of clever to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    That's what I was talking about earlier. We didn't see any strength feats from the shapeshifters, but we saw some for the werewolves, both Julian (took two monsters to hold him down) and his sister Violet (she wolfed out and broke her chains). Zero for the shapeshifters, in fact we got the opposite (David taken captive by a regular human). They appear to have no power other than shifting, and they have the strenth of a regular human being (which is why Sal's threat of bodily harm to Violet rang hollow).

I guess logically they'd be masters of subterfuge (and to a lesser degree their allies, the ghouls, who become the identical appearance of whatever human they eat, memories, too), so I can imagine they'd be connected over time...but I'd also imagine monsters with enough muscle, like werewolves, could wipe them out very easily in one fell swoop.

Perhaps the shapeshifter family has some protocol in place in the event of their mass murder, hence why the werewolves and djinn hasn't wiped them out by now.
    You seem to be looking at this as though these alliances are set in stone and that the war is in progress when that is not the case. Both familes made reference to trying to get the others on there side including the shifter girl asking if the djinn had picked sides. Another point you're glossing over is the extra monsters like the vampire waiter and the wraith bodyguard. The shifters may have other types monsters working for them that are just not numerous or organized enough to have a family of their own. We don't know enough to say how a war would end.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    I honestly thought this was a pretty poor episode and doesn't exactly light a fire in me to check out the spinoff. It just completely lacked anything interesting...

- We had a main character who is bland as anything, motivated by the most generic plot point ever.
    - His reaction to Sam and Dean beheading, or lack of reaction, was silly.
    - We had a really simplistic take on the mob families idea.
    - Yet another Romeo and Juliet... Seriously, there comes a point where homage/riffing turns in to cliche, unoriginal, played out, generic.
    - The villain was pretty boring. As others have said, with a show about warring monster families they're going to introduce us through a... really rubbish human villain?

I just didn't care for this at all. This will definitely be a "Wait til season 1 is over" before deciding whether I want to jump in. Supernatural bucked my expectations when I started watching but I've really seen nothing that made me want to check this out. The only good thing about this, imo, was how ruthlessly he dispatched the bad guy.
    Let me disagree with you on a few things.

1. Given the fact that it was probably the least weird thing he saw that day his reaction to the beheading of the vampire trying to eat him wasn't that crazy.

2. The mob aspect wasn't explored deeply but with an hour long episode that had to give background and motivation to the main characters of this new show while still finding time for main characters of the current show how deep into the premise could they go.

3. As for the villan I think it worked on a few levels. He was basically what Ennis could become if he gets too deep and lets his loss consume him. He wasn't some evil monster, he was just a guy who lost his son as collateral damage in a war between the monsters and wanted payback. He also served as an example for why the familes shouldn't go to war. Beyond the fact that it would leave a bunch of them dead, which is why he wanted the war, the collateral damage would expose the survivors and leave them with human enemies to deal with, like Ennis.

I think if it didn't get picked up Bloodlines has a concept that is just too interesting to just get swept under the rug. I'd say have Sam and Dean return to Chicago to tackle the monsters that is living there. It would make a nice back to basics arc taking the Heaven and Hell stuff they've been dealing with as of late.
    I can't help but think they had the perfect opportunity for that around Season 6, maybe seeing about 3 Alpha survive Crowley and co, then running on to oppose them and gather their forces for war. And, after the Apocalypse ended back then, I still feel it was mostly back to basics, with some mythological stuff, like Soulless Sam, opening Purgatory, the stuff about Cas, Balthazar, and all that.

Speaking of returning Angels, wouldn't mind Balthazar. He was a bit of a rogue, similar to Gabriel, with some good in him, less anger.

I do fee like the premise could be better explored through its' own show, in of Bloodlines, than in Supernatural itself, which is busy enough as it is, with everything that is has going on at the moment, which is hopefully too much to get done in next three episodes - but, near three hours IS a decent amount of time...

Also, am looking forward to seeing Metatron plot followed up next week and hopefully it won't go awry for the three of them. Also, like that they're doing Crowley and Abbadon same episode, but hopefully won't feel too much, or like an unwanted distraction next the main plot.

Also, feel like the hopeful Queen of Hell would want to betray Crowley somehow, which could end up with him captured, or trapped in Hell - not likely killed, unless they have a backup, producers.

I'm seriously wondering how they will stop metatron i hope ghost kevin plays a role in it.

Fantastic Member

That brings up a thought, what if ghost Kevin is related to the no more prophets problem? What if Metatron closed heaven off to spirits because he knows that a new prophet is activated not when the old one dies but when there spirit enters heaven.

I turned this Bloodlines episode off. It was painfully bad, CW teenage girl crap. The Werewolf Diaries, if you will.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.