Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Supernatural

Glad we finally got back to business yesterday. Loved that interrogation. I wonder what kind of repercussions the timeline will experience due to Gavin being alive.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

This was definitely one of the better episodes of the season.

BANNED

A vast improvement over the last episode.

A great episode. Felt kinda bad when Abaddon got ganked. She's the only relevant female in the show.
    " I've always done what I truly believed was right. At first, people called me a hero for it ... and then a villain. As the memory of what I've done — and been — fades, I hope I will be seen ... in a different light." - Hal Jordan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LanternWolf View Post
    A great episode. Felt kinda bad when Abaddon got ganked. She's the only relevant female in the show.
    This is Sam and Dean Winchester though. Females that spend long periods of time around them sooner or later end up dying horribly. Then again..that more or less sums up anyone who spends time around them. I'd say these guys should just fore-go human contact in general and get a dog, but they'd probably end up getting it possessed by a demon or sacrificed by a witch for a spell. That is the real reason Sam and Dean need each other. They are the only ones immune to their horrible curse of "everyone around us dies".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Glad we finally got back to business yesterday. Loved that interrogation. I wonder what kind of repercussions the timeline will experience due to Gavin being alive.
    As long as he stays in the present, hopefully none. Disappears at sea/disappears into the future, tomato/tomAto...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    This is Sam and Dean Winchester though. Females that spend long periods of time around them sooner or later end up dying horribly. Then again..that more or less sums up anyone who spends time around them. I'd say these guys should just fore-go human contact in general and get a dog, but they'd probably end up getting it possessed by a demon or sacrificed by a witch for a spell. That is the real reason Sam and Dean need each other. They are the only ones immune to their horrible curse of "everyone around us dies".
    False equivalency. LanternWolf wasn't commenting on the fact that people around Sam and Dean die, he/she was commenting on the fact that there are no other females left on the show now. Obviously not everyone around Sam and Dean die, because there's still plenty of supporting characters run around, they just all happen to be male.

Not a big deal, just felt that needed to be clarified. Yeah, any character Sam and Dean are especially close to tends to bite the bucket over the long run, male and female alike, but we're talking about Abaddon here. She was never anything other than their enemy. Her dying had nothing to do with the curse of Sam and Dean, so equating the two issues is just disingenuous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    False equivalency. LanternWolf wasn't commenting on the fact that people around Sam and Dean die, he/she was commenting on the fact that there are no other females left on the show now. Obviously not everyone around Sam and Dean die, because there's still plenty of supporting characters run around, they just all happen to be male.

Not a big deal, just felt that needed to be clarified. Yeah, any character Sam and Dean are especially close to tends to bite the bucket over the long run, male and female alike, but we're talking about Abaddon here. She was never anything other than their enemy. Her dying had nothing to do with the curse of Sam and Dean, so equating the two issues is just disingenuous.
    And really silly. Especially since you still have that Sheriff, that former vampire girl, and Charlie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    And really silly. Especially since you still have that Sheriff, that former vampire girl, and Charlie.
    Oh come on, Legato. That's just as disingenuous. The Sheriff and Charlie are bit characters that recur once in a blue moon, and I'll be surprised if we ever see vampire girl again, definitely not more than once. LanternWolf made an offhand comment about how they killed off the only relevant female character with Abaddon, and that's a valid observation. Crowley, Metatron, Gadreel, Castiel, etc....all the other regular players are male, Abaddon was the only regular character who was part of the overall, continuing plot of the season who happened to be female.

Yes, I know no one wants this to turn into a big deal, but it really only becomes a big deal when people act like a casual observation about the gender disparity on the show is ridiculous and has no basis in reality. Guess what. Supernatural sucks at keeping female characters around. It's a thing. Doesn't keep me from enjoying the show, but acting like its not a thing just comes across like defensive fanwank.
    Last edited by Kalen O.; 05-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Oh come on, Legato. That's just as disingenuous. The Sheriff and Charlie are bit characters that recur once in a blue moon, and I'll be surprised if we ever see vampire girl again, definitely not more than once. LanternWolf made an offhand comment about how they killed off the only relevant female character with Abaddon, and that's a valid observation. Crowley, Metatron, Gadreel, Castiel, etc....all the other regular players are male, Abaddon was the only regular character who was part of the overall, continuing plot of the season who happened to be female.

Yes, I know no one wants this to turn into a big deal, but it really only becomes a big deal when people act like a casual observation about the gender disparity on the show is ridiculous and has no basis in reality. Guess what. Supernatural sucks at keeping female characters around. It's a thing. Doesn't keep me from enjoying the show, but acting like its not a thing just comes across like defensive fanwank.
    It's not acting like its not a thing yet more like not getting all worked up over it. Otherwise I'd be bothered by the fact that the show lacks a black recurring character. The closest we got so far is that Ennis guy. Also saying the sheriff and Charlie is unimportant is ridiculous since the sheriff is pretty much the closest thing Sam and Dean has to a surrogate mother and their one link to Bobby. Charlie is also the closest Sam and Dean has to a sister. Just because they haven't appeared in alot of episodes doesn't mean they don't play a important part in Sam and Dean's life

Incredible Member

It's not acting like its not a thing yet more like not getting all worked up over it. Otherwise I'd be bothered by the fact that the show lacks a black recurring character. The closest we got so far is that Ennis guy. Also saying the sheriff and Charlie is unimportant is ridiculous since the sheriff is pretty much the closest thing Sam and Dean has to a surrogate mother and their one link to Bobby. Charlie is also the closest Sam and Dean has to a sister. Just because they haven't appeared in alot of episodes doesn't mean they don't play a important part in Sam and Dean's life
    No, dismissing comments about killing off the only major female character IS acting like gender disparity isn't a thing, and I don't have to get worked up over it to point that out. And yeah, the show's lack of diversity is equally an issue, it just wasn't relevant to what prompted this discussion, which was the death of the only major female character.

And I didn't see the Sheriff or Charlie were unimportant, I said they were bit characters that recur once in a blue moon, and that's absolutely true. How important they are to Sam and Dean is utterly irrelevant to a discussion of how important they are to the show, when the truth is they're not important to the show. They show up in standalone episodes that could be cut out of the season without in any way impacting the overall storyline, so no, they don't belong in a discussion of the major, relevant players, the ones that shaped the actual arc of the season - aka Abaddon, Crowley, Gadreel, Metatron, Kevin, Castiel, Bartholomew, etc. Its not ridiculous to point out that they're not on the same level of significance.

BANNED

Thats your thing, not mine. And BTW you dismissing the Sheriff and Charlie because they didn't have enough episode appearances is pretty much saying they're unimportant
    Last edited by Legato; 05-07-2014 at 09:13 PM.

BANNED

Also whats the point in getting all confrontational over this?

Incredible Member

No, I'm saying the Sheriff and Charlie are unimportant to the overall shape of the season because they are, not because of number of episode appearances. Because if you take them out of the season, the overall story of the season remains largely unchanged. The same can't be said of removing Abaddon, Kevin, or Gadreel from the season. I'm not saying Charlie and the Sheriff are worthless characters or something like that, I'm saying they aren't vital to the narrative of the season, and so placing them on the same level as the characters that ARE vital to the narrative is disingenuous and unproductive to the conversation.

Also whats the point in getting all confrontational over this?
    I'm not being confrontational, I'm debating a point. Show me where I've been uncivil, rude, insulting, or somehow made this personal instead of a discussion of the show, and I'll concede otherwise. Surtur commented on a post someone else made, I countered with the contention that he was missing the point, you responded with a couple posts saying you didn't think this was as significant as I and the original poster made it out to be, and I countered with posts that explained my position. That's what discussion is. Why does there need to be any more of a point to this particular line of discussion than any other?

I feel like you think I'm more emotionally invested in this than I actually am, but nothing I can do about that. I'm just having a discussion here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    As long as he stays in the present, hopefully none. Disappears at sea/disappears into the future, tomato/tomAto...
    If he stays in the present and never goes back to the past, Castiel using his spirit to spill the beans on who Crowley really was will be difficult to explain.

Edit: Or was it Bobby? I'm pretty sure it was Bobby.
    Last edited by Angelo2113; 05-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.