Magick is Everywhere

Default Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus: Which classic stories would you add?

Marvel's asked for the help of the readers to complete their 75th Anniversary Omnibus.

So I figured what classic stories would everyone add to the book?

I'm guessing they wouldn't go for multi-issue stories, so tales like "The Infinity Gauntlet" would be out.

I, for one, would keep all of the stories from this book:

1395508.jpg

For those who don't remember this book had classic stories like "This Man, This Monster" (Fantastic Four Vol. 1, #51), Daredevil's first adventure with his iconic red costume (and fighting Namor), X-Men v. Magneto (inside a volcano!), and others.

So, which stories would you add?

So how expensive would this be?

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    So how expensive would this be?
    Same as every Omnibus. With that page count it'll prolly be MSRP $125, but you can always find these things cheaper.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

BANNED

They better put in some Golden Age stuff, since Marvel wouldn't be celebrating 75 years, if it weren't for Marvel Comics #1.

It was really annoying that they had a cool box set of Marvel Masterworks celebrating the 75th anniversary, and there wasn't anything older than 1961.

I'd probably add The Death of Jean DeWolff. And maybe The Commuter Cometh, just because it was one of the funniest comics ever.

And it's maybe a questionable choice, but I'd also say Fearless Defenders #7, if only because Stephanie Hans' art is so damned amazing. The series was never great, and never did well, but that issue was incredible.

Sadly, I can't think of anything Emma Rios has done for Marvel that would really fit.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd probably add The Death of Jean DeWolff. And maybe The Commuter Cometh, just because it was one of the funniest comics ever.

And it's maybe a questionable choice, but I'd also say Fearless Defenders #7, if only because Stephanie Hans' art is so damned amazing. The series was never great, and never did well, but that issue was incredible.

Sadly, I can't think of anything Emma Rios has done for Marvel that would really fit.
    Why would she be in there? the book is going to celebrate the characters and classic stories, not particular artists. If they were, get in line behind Jack Kirby, John Buscema, Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, Wally Wood, Gene Colan, etc. Her work for Marvel is very limited and none of which would break even the top 100 of classic stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Why would she be in there? the book is going to celebrate the characters and classic stories, not particular artists. If they were, get in line behind Jack Kirby, John Buscema, Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, Wally Wood, Gene Colan, etc. Her work for Marvel is very limited and none of which would break even the top 100 of classic stories.
    I know none of the stuff Rios has done would count. I was saying that disappoints me, because I love her artwork. I wish she'd had a chance to do a major story that would belong.

All the ones you mentioned are bound to make it in, probably multiple times.

Avengers #16, the first big shake-up.

The first Hawkeye limited series by Mark Gruenwald.

Extraordinary Member

It's hard to know what they mean by "stories" - obviously you can't have an entire year of comics in there, but do two-parters count? Three-parters? So many of the classic Marvel stories run over about 3 issues, like the first Galactus story (which would be an obvious choice if three-parters were allowed). Offhand I can also think of the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams Sentinel three-parter (X-Men 57-59), the Avengers two-parter introducing the Vision (Avengers 57-58) and the famous Lee/Ditko Spider-Man 3-parter in Amazing Spider-Man 31-33.

For one-shot self-contained stories, I might pick Avengers Annual # 10 by Claremont and Golden, even though I have some reservations about it (way, way too many thought balloons even by Claremont's standards). It's such a famous story and such an influential story not just for introducing Rogue and hitting back against Avengers # 200, but for the influence it obviously had on the way characters like Carol and Jessica Drew have been used in the last 10 years.

Oh, God, please not Age of Ultron!

As for what I'd suggest, I feel a bit split between suggesting good stories and stories that were relevant. Sort of lik, Avengers #4 is incredibly relevant, but I really don't think it simbolizes Marvel's best (there are others that do a better job in being both). Another complication is that, for me, the best marvel stories are long running sgaas. Very few done in one, or done in two really knock it off the park for me.
    Well, just not as to leave without a suggestion, I'll go with "The Boy Who Collected Spider-Man" by Stern and Frenz.
    Maybe more will occur to me later on.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    They better put in some Golden Age stuff, since Marvel wouldn't be celebrating 75 years, if it weren't for Marvel Comics #1.

It was really annoying that they had a cool box set of Marvel Masterworks celebrating the 75th anniversary, and there wasn't anything older than 1961.
    Well, since Marvel itself began in the 1960s, there may have been that logic.

But we did get this in a tpb:

X-Men:
    Second Genesis
    Days of Future Past
    Death of Jean Grey

Spider-Man:
    Death of Gwen Stacy
    ASM 300 (Venom)

Avengers:
    Trial of Yellowjacket
    Ultron wastes Slorenia (Busiek run)
    New Avengers v1 no. 1 (part one of Breakout)

Fantastic Four:
    Galactus trilogy
    Wedding of Reed and Sue

Thor v3 no 1 by JMS

Wolverine by Claremont/Miller

Iron Man issue from Armor Wars Era or Demon in the Bottle

The Bucky/Winter Soldier reveal from Brubaker's Captain America
    Last edited by Thor2014; 05-08-2014 at 02:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, since Marvel itself began in the 1960s, there may have been that logic.

But we did get this in a tpb:
    Then Marvel should have called it the 53rd anniversary box, not their 75th. They should have put that paperback in the set, or the Marvel Masterworks Golden Age v1.

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's hard to know what they mean by "stories" - obviously you can't have an entire year of comics in there, but do two-parters count? Three-parters? So many of the classic Marvel stories run over about 3 issues, like the first Galactus story (which would be an obvious choice if three-parters were allowed). Offhand I can also think of the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams Sentinel three-parter (X-Men 57-59), the Avengers two-parter introducing the Vision (Avengers 57-58) and the famous Lee/Ditko Spider-Man 3-parter in Amazing Spider-Man 31-33.

For one-shot self-contained stories, I might pick Avengers Annual # 10 by Claremont and Golden, even though I have some reservations about it (way, way too many thought balloons even by Claremont's standards). It's such a famous story and such an influential story not just for introducing Rogue and hitting back against Avengers # 200, but for the influence it obviously had on the way characters like Carol and Jessica Drew have been used in the last 10 years.
    IIRC "The Very Best of Marvel Comics" did have two-part stories. For example Spidey's loss and subsequent rematch with the Goblin was in two issues as well as the X-Men v. Magneto.

BANNED

1st appearances of Cap, Namor, GA Human Torch, FF, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, Spidey, Hulk, original X-Men, Wolverine, Claremont X-Men, Ant Man/Giant Man, Wasp, Blade, Thor, Iron Man, the Avengers, Cap in modern day (found by Avengers), Captain Mar-vell, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Ms. Marvel (Carol), Secret Wars, Contest of Champions, Dark Phoenix, Death of Captain Marv-ell, death of Gwen Stacy, wedding of Reed & Sue, wedding of Scott & Jean, wedding of Pete & MJ, Marvels...