Thread: Nailbiter

Powered By Gravity

Default Nailbiter

Just read the first issue of Nailbiter and I really liked it. This is a great introduction to what looks to be a creepy mystery. The art is clean and dark. It matches the story perfectly. I'm interested to see if there is a supernatural element to this story or if it is going to be play by reality's rules alone. If you didn't pick this up, I really think you should give it a chance.

Between this and Ghosted, Williamson is really becoming a draw for me, creator wise. Really digging his books. This was a great debut. Great horror/creepiness factor but without over indulging in the gore.
    www.grayhavencomics.com
    For Creators, By Creators

I fell off of Ghosted after a few issues so I was kind of wary about this one but after seeing all of the good press the book was getting I figured I'd give it a shot and I agree that this book was pretty great. While I'm still not completely sold on Williamson the art in this book was freaking gorgeous especially those scenes set in the rain. Probably one of the most effective books in terms of tone and atmosphere that I've read in a while. Plus that cover continues to freak me the f*** out every time I look at it. I'm at least interested enough to give this book a couple more issues.

Great first issue, that I actually passed on at first, heard some good things so I figured I'd check it out...

Highly Recommended!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

Necrobumping an ancient thread because I just binged the 9 most recent issues of Nailbiter in preparation for the big finale coming this month (2 weeks, I think). How many people here are current with this book? Issue 29 had almost all the answers we'd been waiting for, with a few held back for the big finish. Compared to other books that build a big mystery (Morning glories, Revival) this one actually delivers.

I've read a lot of Joshua WIlliamson's comics and he only seems to get better and better as he goes, this book being better than his previous Image book (Ghosted). His work at DC (The Flash, Justice League Vs Suicide Squad) has been top-notch stuff and Birthright is pretty kick-ass, too.

This is one of my favorite books every week it comes out. It has been great since the beginning and never lost any steam. It was fun to get some answers the last issue.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    This is one of my favorite books every week it comes out. It has been great since the beginning and never lost any steam. It was fun to get some answers the last issue.
    Would be amazing as a TV show IMO

All-New Member

What did people think of last issue? This series has been my favorite series for the past year. I just started reading it a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman853 View Post
    What did people think of last issue? This series has been my favorite series for the past year. I just started reading it a year ago.
    I just finished reading it and TBH I was annoyed at the final page. It would have been better without the implications the final page added. Besides that, it was a decent enough series. Better in trade waiting than monthly, though, sometimes it felt like a whole lot of nothing when I was following it in floppies for the first 20 issues.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superman853 View Post
    TBH it was disappointing. It was pretty clear that Williamson ended it prematurely because of his other commitments. Obviously he's not going to come out and say that but that's what it felt like.

The whole series was continually building up a great world and then it seemed like he decided to end it sometime after writing issue 27 and then issue 29 was an exposition dump trying to explain every mystery that had been building up.

The hype for issue 30 being a supersized issue for a great finale feel pretty flat since there were multiple pages of black, so it didn't feel actually longer. It also didn't add much to the story. The end of the series really happened in #29 for me, and like I said it didn't feel like an organic ending, just a rushed one. Frankly, disappointed, I've been buying since issue 1.

Amazing Member

I loved the series but issue #29 was terrible. I mean ... beyond Murder She Wrote terrible.

spoilers:
    I love how the guy let her explain practically the entire history of the story, but then at the end he decides THAT'S IT and cuts her off. What a terrible jolt from the reading experience. But, a lot of writers have that problem. I prefer to keep the realism as much as possible and give enough clues throughout that you don't necessarily have to explain it, just go back and explore it, like the finale of Sopranos [yes, it WAS a great ending if you paid attention]
    end of spoilers

I actually liked the end of #30, at least the style and the multi-page layouts. I think it's clear he could easily continue this later on which would pick sales back up since it would be "new again".
    Last edited by abysslord; 03-13-2017 at 08:54 PM.

I just ran through all 6 trades. It was a fun ride. I actually liked the last panel, but can we say spoilers:
    if there were any bullets left in the gun? I'm not a gun expert, but I know at some point you run out of bullets. She did use 9 on him that all seemed to hit. Would she have unloaded?
    I also feel that issue 29 was very Murder She Wrote/Scooby Doo-ish with the super long explanation, but it wasn't that bad. This didn't kill the comic for me as a whole.
    end of spoilers

Overall, the art was excellent and the writing was great. It certainly could have ended stronger, it lost some steam the last issues, but it was bloody good throughout (pun intended). I would definitely recommend this series to anyone looking for a good comic, especially a thriller/horror.

Is it weird that the last three Image comics had something to do with eating? I read Chew, Starve, and now Nailbiter...

I certainly didn't plan it that way!